Singapore Expats

Where can learn programming?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Where can learn programming?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:01 am

Hmm now my brain is trying to remember what I used to do ages ago... Help me out here, I used to move a binary sequences into a variable ( in a loop) and then examine if the number was even or odd and if it was even I branched out and did something .. freak now I really need to know what I used that for..
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:23 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Hmm now my brain is trying to remember what I used to do ages ago... Help me out here, I used to move a binary sequences into a variable ( in a loop) and then examine if the number was even or odd and if it was even I branched out and did something .. freak now I really need to know what I used that for..
Could be anything; what would you need to find out even numbers in a sequence for?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:24 am

I remember doing 8085 programming on a small device with led/lcd display and 8086 on PC screen like Raj has shared.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 2:29 pm

I was into the demo scene back then, mode 13h, Paging video memory for double buffers to do fire and water effects. Also the beginning of pseudo 2.5d graphics. The 8k demos were amazing

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 2:34 pm

Lol I have no idea... I think it could have been to check if a number was prime or not, so the code would eliminate even numbers first and then move on.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 2:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I learnt Fortran in 1998, back then on a 486 machine in a novell environment lol.. it was quite cool, with subroutines and all that, great language to learn to pick up the basics of programming. :wink:
You missed a lot of fun not being born earlier. I was taught Fortran in my secondary school, on this type of machine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICT_1900_series (Odra 1300 series)

with this sort of mass storage:
I used to have to read those rolls of tape after creating them on a teletype machine which was then fed into an automated Linotype machine back in the days before computers in the printing shop where my father was a typesetter for 40 years. I was a senior in High School at the time and was on a work/study program in my Senior year (1965) where I went to school in the mornings and worked at the William & Wilkens publishing company in the afternoons. I used to type from copy, whole scientific/medical journals onto those rolls of tape. (back in those day I could type around 85 wpm). Today I'm lucky to do 30 accurately.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 Sep 2015 7:24 pm

The first computers I used were at school, mid 70s. They used the paper tape as above.
The monitors had green on black text, no other colour-scheme was possible. But then even colour-TV at home was considered a luxury IME.

We used to 'code' ASCII art of cartoon characters etc, so we could print them out.
And dumb youthful stuff like this -> Image
:lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:34 pm

nakatago wrote:
CherieZ wrote:
bgd wrote:That boyfriend I suggested you get, go for an English speaking IT professional. :-)

But seriously, do an internet search, plenty of good stuff online. Decide on which language and then look for tutorials.
OH, it's you, i'm searching online but hard to choose. I think i should find some professional guys to get advice :-k .Wish to get away from my present job as soon as possible :( .
I suggest learning python and maybe some front-end stuff such as HTML, CSS (these two together) and Javascript.

http://www.udacity.com

These will teach you skills to work in web companies, mostly building websites or webservices (which is where most of the market is). Python, though is getting more applications in science, artificial intelligence and even embedded systems. Moreover, it is an "easy" language to use when learning other stuff such as data structures and algorithms (search and sorting techniques) which are staples in basic computer science and technical interviews by big software companies (e.g. Google, Amazon). The idea is you master the concepts such that if you're learning a new language, you just need to learn the syntax, grammar, nuances, quirks and idiosyncrasies.

After that, you can then move on to other languages: Java, Javascript (which is NOT Java), C#, back to C++, Swift, PHP, Ruby...whatever.

If you want to get into programming machines (maybe embedded systems), you should learn concepts regarding computer architecture, how memory works. For languages, it'll mostly be C and C++...maybe some python as well (you can broach assembly but that's mostly to give you a tangible look at how CPUs work). The key idea is the concept of pointers and memory. These two together is very vital to understanding programming machines.

If you want to get into big data and analytics, you should've had a lot of proficiency in algorithms (think graph theory and search/sort algorithms). Here, you got scala, hadoop and some other buzzwords I'm not familiar with because I don't work on them and I just realized I'm now just talking out of my arse.

Ok, I'll stop now.
You are so kind and I love you :girl: . I want to get into game programming but i'm not sure it belong to which field.

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:44 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:You are 23 and know Fortran ? I thought that went out of fashion many years ago.
I think so. Every time it would be a disaster for me to find an error. Unfortunately ,it was one of my subjects.

CherieZ

Post by CherieZ » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:48 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:You are 23 and know Fortran ? I thought that went out of fashion many years ago.
Still widely used by PhD students who don't know there are advanced math libraries for python and C++

Or can't spare the dosh for Matlab.

:P
Matlab is GREAT!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:21 pm

This is the hottest technology these days:

http://www.indeed.com.sg/viewjob?jk=394 ... j&from=web

https://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk04/ats/car ... =1&rid=195

Just hit SQL in Indeed and you get tons of results for Data Analysts and Data Scientists.

nakatago

Re: RE: Re: Where can learn programming?

Post by nakatago » Sun, 13 Sep 2015 8:05 am

Wd40 wrote:This is the hottest technology these days:

http://www.indeed.com.sg/viewjob?jk=394 ... j&from=web

https://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk04/ats/car ... =1&rid=195

Just hit SQL in Indeed and you get tons of results for Data Analysts and Data Scientists.
Yeah but only because CEOs are joining the bandwagon.

It's like looking for app developers with 5 years experience with iOS in 2010.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."