Singapore Expats

Air Quality Sensor/PM2.5 Monitor

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Evangeline78

Air Quality Sensor/PM2.5 Monitor

Post by Evangeline78 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 2:13 pm

Hello, Can anyone recommend a store that sells an air quality monitor/sensor that gives the PM2.5 reading. Thanks for your help.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Air Quality Sensor/PM2.5 Monitor

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 8:10 pm

Evangeline78 wrote:Hello, Can anyone recommend a store that sells an air quality monitor/sensor that gives the PM2.5 reading. Thanks for your help.
www.haze.gov.sg

Evangeline78

Post by Evangeline78 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 8:25 pm

Thank you for your website suggestions. However, I'm looking for a monitor/sensor to measure PM2.5 indoors.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 9:19 pm

You can easily google some out. I am not going to help you with this because I have some strong doubts whether for the price they are offered they are actually worth anything.

Evangeline78

Post by Evangeline78 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 11:24 pm

I did not request advice on if what is offered is worth anything in your opinion and since you know nothing about what is offered, your comment is pointless. Perhaps you should stick to subjects you know something about and leave your strong doubts to yourself. I will unsubscribe from this post now before I receive any more "advice."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 11:36 pm

Evangeline78 wrote:I did not request advice on if what is offered is worth anything in your opinion and since you know nothing about what is offered, your comment is pointless. Perhaps you should stick to subjects you know something about and leave your strong doubts to yourself. I will unsubscribe from this post now before I receive any more "advice."
'How to win friends and influence people' :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Sep 2015 11:44 pm

The stupidity force is strong in this one! Must be local because if she's FT it's no damned wonder the locals are screaming bloody foul.

But considering she's posting from a US ISP, I reckon she's just a troll or a potential spammer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 2:14 am

Evangeline78 wrote:I did not request advice on if what is offered is worth anything in your opinion and since you know nothing about what is offered, your comment is pointless. Perhaps you should stick to subjects you know something about and leave your strong doubts to yourself. I will unsubscribe from this post now before I receive any more "advice."
C'mon. It was a valuable advice especially for someone with a complete lack of basic technical skills. If I just pointed to the device, surely you would buy it because it was cheap. That would be rather stupid if not harmful.
I understand it must be very frustrating to wait the whole day for a piece of info an average joe can google out in 5 min, but If you have to rely that much on other people, you better be thankful for what you receive.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 2:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The stupidity force is strong in this one! Must be local because if she's FT it's no damned wonder the locals are screaming bloody foul.

But considering she's posting from a US ISP, I reckon she's just a troll or a potential spammer.
First two posts are ref. to a data centre registered in International Business Park (Jurong East) so I guess she posts from SG. Probably cloud/proxy type distributed services.
And it looks like a FT, the more local one.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 8:50 am

Easy answer: My lab uses this machine from TUV SUD. You can Google the name to find out more. They have a branch in Singapore. For the price we pay, we get pretty good service.

Not-so-easy answer: Across the board, there is no such machine that can be sold over-counter like in Harvey, Challenger etc. You can get purifiers, but not measuring device. You will find random self-proclaimed crap from Qoo10 or Taobao but they are just out to get your money.

Difficult answer: Actually you have misread x9200's intention. His answer would be same as mine, but you can count on his answer to be direct and un-minced, which saves a lot of time and headache. I'm just a doormat :P

Conclusion: Measuring device is expensive. NEA is doing it for free (you can find out free latest PM 2.5 reading from the website). If you are one of those people who don't trust government info, download AQI app. No significant difference between indoor and outdoor measurement unless you use vacuum seal on your doors and windows. You may as well use the money on air purifiers indoors and respirator mask outdoors if you are very concerned.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 9:35 am

Yes Lynx, but inclusive of a bit different perspective: I will not advertise a product I think is a crap, and a seller selling it, especially to someone who is technically illiterate (i.e. can not use google or distinguish between a monitor and a sensor). This, even if this someone would be likely happy with the product.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 7:51 pm

For the enthusiasts of conspiracy theories a small puzzle to be solved: why some pm2.5 sensors I ordered from the States that supposed to be delivered on Sat 12th and already marked as "out for delivery" are not delivered yet and the "out for delivery" status is removed?

http://aqicn.org/city/singapore/south/ says it is ~170 right now and I just returned from work and what I can see and knowing how my eyes react to the haze I would say is close to 400.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 8:13 pm

I have two packages ordered from different locations in the US which tracking shows one arriving on 8 Sept and the other on 9 Sept both have been out for delivery since the 10th. Granted, the election was a public holiday and Saturday doesn't deliver, nor does Sunday, so I figure today they were probably put on trucks and well see everything tomorrow. I hope.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 8:22 pm

The election was my first though but I would think a company like UPS is competent enough to factor it in. Now the status shows "on transit" and the election disturbance was one day only so something does not add up right.
This sort of mess I had before with one of the beloved (meaning likely cheap) carriers of Amazon - i-parcel or speedpost, but not UPS.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Sep 2015 8:29 pm

x9200 wrote:For the enthusiasts of conspiracy theories a small puzzle to be solved: why some pm2.5 sensors I ordered from the States that supposed to be delivered on Sat 12th and already marked as "out for delivery" are not delivered yet and the "out for delivery" status is removed?

http://aqicn.org/city/singapore/south/ says it is ~170 right now and I just returned from work and what I can see and knowing how my eyes react to the haze I would say is close to 400.
Apparently AQICN uses different metrics

Singapore monitors the Pmi 2.5 !

yep, I do agree though NEA says 150, the concentration seems bad and you do get the smell in the air