Singapore Expats

Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
kapilankar

Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Post by kapilankar » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 6:31 pm

Hello,

I'm being deputed to Singapore from Mumbai, India, in a few weeks time.

My workplace is at the western end of the island and hence I'm looking at Jurong (E), Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi and Bukit Timah for potential accommodation options. The accommodation would be a shared one with no stiff roommate requirements. Any suggestions with what to expect in which area would be welcome.

Is there a checklist of items that I should be carrying along from Mumbai? I will not be cooking much and mostly lunch and dinner would be done out of the house. I'll probably need an adapter for the electronics. What other critical items am I missing out?

Thanks - Kapil

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 7:57 pm

kapilankar wrote:. What other critical items am I missing out?

Thanks - Kapil
Probably a bit of search here, and Google would help a lot

Instead of throwing a generic wish list

Or so I feel

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singapore deputation - Things to Carry + Other Newbie Advice Needed

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 8:00 pm

I had a paragraph, and then said the heck with it, and deleted it. I've done my share of regurgitation here. Let him use google or the very capable search engine on this site. All the answers are there. Or let JR8 write another 500 word reply to him. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 9:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had a paragraph, and then said the heck with it, and deleted it. I've done my share of regurgitation here. Let him use google or the very capable search engine on this site. All the answers are there. Or let JR8 write another 500 word reply to him. ;-)
:D :D

saran

Post by saran » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:23 am

Hi,

Check out property websites for common/master room accommodation in hdb. you can get rental room starting from $500

let me know if you have any specific questions?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:59 am

saran wrote:Hi,

Check out property websites for common/master room accommodation in hdb. you can get rental room starting from $500

let me know if you have any specific questions?
Hi Saran

since you are keen to help, can you address in detail, the following queries of kapilankar ?

1)

My workplace is at the western end of the island and hence I'm looking at Jurong (E), Boon Lay, Choa Chu Kang, Clementi and Bukit Timah for potential accommodation options. The accommodation would be a shared one with no stiff roommate requirements.

And accordingly, Any suggestions with what to expect in which area would be welcome.

2)

Is there a checklist of items that I should be carrying along from Mumbai?

3)

What other critical items am I missing out?

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:40 pm

@ecureilx & @sundaymorningstaple
Agree. I'm already browsing this forum for posts and have a basic list of stuff with me and have my bases covered. I was looking for some advice as to which items are easily missed - more likely from the point of view of a single Indian who will mostly be eating out. Sifting through the forums to extract specific topics is a task in itself since most of the posts I've gone through concern the family.
I still have more than a month on my hands, so will utilize it in searching the forum.

@sundaymorningstaple
Your paragraph may have been useful.

@saran
On property websites I see rentals from $500 to $1000. While these are very much within range, I'd like to know what am I expecting in that area. I'm finding the information too generic somehow.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 1:20 pm

kapilankar, I rather think not, as that's why I deleted it. When one starts regurgitating the same stuff for the umpteenth time (see when I joined this board) when all the answers are there, we sometimes get frustrated at people who are perceived to only want answers but don't want to do any of the leg work themselves and this being an open forum (by registration but not subscription) sometimes we just get a wild hair and a bit of sarcasm creeps in. That was happening and I decided to just delete. Sorry.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 1:23 pm

@sundaymorningstaple

No problem mate, I very well know this feeling. You don't have to apologize, especially for some well directed sarcasm ;)

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 2:03 pm

And the other thing that happens is that we frequently get newcomers who, although they do their research first and ask relevant questions, never even bother to reply and say thanks or otherwise for the advice they receive. Bloody rude if you ask me.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

kapilankar

Post by kapilankar » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:17 pm

@addadude
This internet was never a realm for the gentlemen after all ...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:49 am

All the places you mentioned Jurong E, Boon Lay, CCK have I would imagine the lowest rentals on the western side, the more pricer places are Clementi and Bukit Timah. you might also want to add to that list Bukit Panjang and Bukit Batok.
As for stuff you want to bring along I'm not sure what to say.. I landed here 3 years ago in a suitcase weighing 20 kilos with clothes and some minor electronics.
you can buy most of the things you had in India from convenience stores here. It might be a bit more pricier though.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

saran

Post by saran » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 11:04 am

kapilankar wrote: On property websites I see rentals from $500 to $1000. While these are very much within range, I'd like to know what am I expecting in that area. I'm finding the information too generic somehow.
Hi Kapilankar,

Welcome to Singapore!
can you tell me what information you feel generic?

Thanks

at.evolue

Post by at.evolue » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 12:56 pm

Hi Kapilankar,

As if all the work involved in prepping to leave your home, and moving to another country is not enough, you have a whole chunk of info to have to sift through, from many sites, and maybe only 10% of it applies to you.

Then you decide to ask some old timers on a forum, rather certain you can get the answers you need... but you get some rude replies.

Sundaymorningstaple,

Maybe u should look into consolidating the info, into a concise format, and this becomes a problem resolved. Imagine how good it feels when people stop pissing you off with the same qns over and over.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 1:32 pm

at.evolue wrote: Maybe u should look into consolidating the info, into a concise format, and this becomes a problem resolved. Imagine how good it feels when people stop pissing you off with the same qns over and over.
I do believe there is a thread.. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=103156
8-[
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late