Singapore Expats Forum

Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

octane100
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 31 Aug 2015

Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby octane100 » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 3:59 pm

Hi all,

I was recently made redundant from my job here in Singapore, the company cancelled my workpass and the families dependant passes the same day. Due to the limited time we can now stay we are working on departing in a couple of weeks. As the tax clearance has not been completed, the company has provided me with a letter stating they assume all responsibility for outstanding taxes due (they have withheld last pay). Has anyone had experience with this leaving the country using a letter such as this? It does not appear to be a sound solution and I am concerned I will be refused exit at the airport...
Thanks...

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue, 25 Jun 2013

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby livingontheedge » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 4:36 pm

octane100 wrote:Hi all,

I was recently made redundant from my job here in Singapore, the company cancelled my workpass and the families dependant passes the same day. Due to the limited time we can now stay we are working on departing in a couple of weeks. As the tax clearance has not been completed, the company has provided me with a letter stating they assume all responsibility for outstanding taxes due (they have withheld last pay). Has anyone had experience with this leaving the country using a letter such as this? It does not appear to be a sound solution and I am concerned I will be refused exit at the airport...
Thanks...


Since you a foreigner, it is up to the employer to withhold your last salary and pay the income tax on your behalf. They would have already submitted and estimate your salary is sufficient to cover the income tax for the year.

But whether they return the remaining salary, after settling the tax,..........dunno.......

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34333
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 5:28 pm

Take your pay vouchers and go down to the IRAS and request tax clearance from them. They will be able to tell you if the company has already filed the IR-21. In fact, if you have a SingPass check your IRAS account because if they have and clearance has been, the letter will tell you how much taxes were paid or are due. You can also tell them that the employer has not yet remitted or offered to remit the balance due you after deduction said taxes from your final salary. Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one.

However, I find that a company made you redundant and cancelled you pass on the same day without you knowing about it. Are you sure there wasn't some other reason for your redundancy? How long was your notice period? How long had you been employed with that employer? Did they pay you salary in lieu of notice? Too many unanswered questions.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4895
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:48 pm

I see trouble.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

octane100
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 31 Aug 2015

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby octane100 » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. Confirms my thoughts.....

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34333
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 8:45 am

octane100 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Confirms my thoughts.....



Thanks for your reply. Confirms my thoughts as well....

octane100
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 31 Aug 2015

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby octane100 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:46 am

The company will not be doing anything underhanded regarding the tax payment, it is no a small enterprise. My only concern is being refused exit at immigration, not a lot of fun with children and baggage and no accommodation!! Cheers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:26 pm

octane100 wrote:The company will not be doing anything underhanded regarding the tax payment, it is no a small enterprise. My only concern is being refused exit at immigration, not a lot of fun with children and baggage and no accommodation!! Cheers


if it is truly a large company, then I wouldn't fret, unless you have a vengeful HR or a blur one ..

And must my 2 cents, while I too recommend you to go to IRAS and get it cleared, I don't recall of anybody being stopped by Immigration during departure.

But I heard (through the grapevine) of a guy who came to visit Singapore, and was arrested at the Airport for past unpaid taxes.

octane100
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 31 Aug 2015

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby octane100 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:36 pm

Thanks squirrelx,

Yes, I agree. My train of thought was kicked off by a story I had been told of a family who were detained.
Just something I'd rather avoid...

All the best

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby menudown » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:38 pm

nobody ever stopped in the immigration for not paying tax...that unless you are not planning to come back here...just give a call or head down to IRAS to clear all doubt

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby JR8 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 4:22 pm

How would immigration at Changi know you're not simply going on holiday (when you leave)? Since when has anyone needed tax-clearance etc for taking a holiday?

One time I left SG with an outstanding tax debt. The ex-employer had taken the estimated tax from my last months pay and remitted it to IRAS. But they'd under-estimated it (by a lot), and ex-HR were still pursuing me abroad for it years later (hehehe...). But I had no documentation or questions at the airport upon leaving...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

sgstrait
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat, 13 Jun 2015
Contact:

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby sgstrait » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 8:12 am

I've seen this issue before. It depends entirely on the reputation of the company. If it is reasonable reputable then there will be no problem. If it's a small operation here, they may well ask you to pay before you leave at the airport . It's happened before.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 9:35 am

sgstrait wrote:If it's a small operation here, they may well ask you to pay before you leave at the airport . It's happened before.


Who will ask you to pay before leaving ??

sgstrait
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat, 13 Jun 2015
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby sgstrait » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 9:41 am

ecureilx wrote:
sgstrait wrote:If it's a small operation here, they may well ask you to pay before you leave at the airport . It's happened before.


Who will ask you to pay before leaving ??

The immigration official. I know senior executives visiting on contract work from USA, knowing that they had to pay tax, but ended up held at airport because their company was not big enough or something like that, to get exemption

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9500
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Leaving Singapore prior to tax clearance

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:00 am

sgstrait wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
sgstrait wrote:If it's a small operation here, they may well ask you to pay before you leave at the airport . It's happened before.


Who will ask you to pay before leaving ??

The immigration official. I know senior executives visiting on contract work from USA, knowing that they had to pay tax, but ended up held at airport because their company was not big enough or something like that, to get exemption

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk


the only reason ICA, from what I know, has / can stop somebody is the person is in default and there is a 'invitation' from IRAS. If you left with your last or current tax pending, they will go after the employer, not the employee- hence the IRAS recommendation for employers to hold the last month pay, btw,


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests