Singapore Expats

Singapore Elections and Immigration Policy Changes

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rockstar_sg

Singapore Elections and Immigration Policy Changes

Post by rockstar_sg » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 12:23 pm

Hi,

Do you have any thoughts whether are there any changes in immigration policy depending on the Singapore elections 2015 outcome?

Regards,
Lim.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singapore Elections and Immigration Policy Changes

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 1:52 pm

Frankly, it's not going to get any better regardless of who wins and if the oppositions were to win, or even make a healthy gain, but still return the PAP to power, it's going to get worse, and if the opposition wins, don't ask. Just head for the airport and get in line.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rockstar_sg

Post by rockstar_sg » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 2:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, it's not going to get any better regardless of who wins and if the oppositions were to win, or even make a healthy gain, but still return the PAP to power, it's going to get worse, and if the opposition wins, don't ask. Just head for the airport and get in line.
Quick question SMS, what do you exactly mean by the below quotes(i.e) Do you want to say the flood gate may still open?

"not going to get any better regardless of who wins"
"it's going to get worse"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 31 Aug 2015 3:18 pm

No, I'm saying the tightened policies will stay and could possibly get even worse if the Idiots gain more opposition seats. If the Idiots actually win a fluke election, Immigration will stop and the country will quickly turn into a 3rd world backwater again as the MNCs beat feet out of Singapore to more hospitable locations. They've been moving out already and only leaving their R&D departments here or headquarters offices here. Singapore is shooting it's self in the foot because of a naive electorate who cannot/will not use common sense. What to do. If they want to dig their own graves, so be it. I'm past retirement age anyway. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 8:46 am

SMS sums up my own thoughts but I'll add another factor apart from the obvious immigration one... if oppo gets in and looks to even slightly threaten the concept of 'rule of law' or appear to tolerate bribery and corruption...(and to be honest, their little stuff ups with contracts etc even as a minor party make them look like they will).... then every bank account/company account/land title held by a foreigner is at risk and Singapore's credit rating is at risk. I certainly won't be leaving money here. This has been a HUGE part of Singapore's success.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 10:53 am

PNGMK wrote: if oppo gets in and looks to even slightly threaten the concept of 'rule of law' or appear to tolerate bribery and corruption...(and to be honest, their little stuff ups with contracts etc even as a minor party make them look like they will)....
Are you saying the nobody in the present administration hasn't benefited from the system they have in place, Its common knowledge that all the major construction companies are linked to the decision makers.

I for one hope the oppo's do something in the election, if its not to my benefit then so be it, however the crony capitalism pseudo-meritocracy that is in place here needs a complete re-think.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:23 am

Barnsley wrote: Are you saying the nobody in the present administration hasn't benefited from the system they have in place, Its common knowledge that all the major construction companies are linked to the decision makers.
I am not smart, but, vs other countries, even though the contracts were given out to 'related' companies, unlike in other countries, there is no inflation of costs, or so I been believing so far. Or delivery of substandard output ...

And, maybe valid or not, an economist did quote the example of JICA, where Japan gives out aid, ensures the tender is only open to Japanese companies, and the winning company has to use all Japanese equipment and material as much as possible, to implement a project in say Cambodia - indirectly infusing the money back into the Japanese economy.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:44 pm

ecureilx wrote:
And, maybe valid or not, an economist did quote the example of JICA, where Japan gives out aid, ensures the tender is only open to Japanese companies, and the winning company has to use all Japanese equipment and material as much as possible, to implement a project in say Cambodia - indirectly infusing the money back into the Japanese economy.
Isnt this how the US "rebuilt" Iraq , all contracts had to go to American companies such as Haliburton and their ilk?

I have just been reading that management fees that some of the other Town councils have been on the high side throughout history in Singapore, lets face it , its been going on all through history , I am very surprised that the PAP are using this to poke the oppos with , when they have been as opaque as possible on almost any issue thats been in the public interest in the past few years.

They are feeling the pressure!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 1:15 pm

Barnsley wrote: Isnt this how the US "rebuilt" Iraq , all contracts had to go to American companies such as Haliburton and their ilk?
Whether the US Contractors were paid fair pay or inflated costs - is another subject. Though considering the risks, a hyper inflated pay was probably due .. like how ADB is discovering in Afghanistan, when they are supposedly chosing the lowest bidder, who happen to be Chinese or Indians, with low standard work quality.
Barnsley wrote:I have just been reading that management fees that some of the other Town councils have been on the high side throughout history in Singapore, lets face it , its been going on all through history , I am very surprised that the PAP are using this to poke the oppos with , when they have been as opaque as possible on almost any issue thats been in the public interest in the past few years.

They are feeling the pressure!!
And again, if you understood how PAP has been running a tight ship running the country, post Independence, it is mind boggling.

And when the competition comes in, there are things the competition has to learn, from scratch I guess ! And the competition has to learn the lessons in a harsh way,

Some interesting thoughts here

http://themiddleground.sg/2015/07/28/tm ... nseen-ccc/

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 3:07 pm

whatever the outcome, I believe the ruling party will still have the majority after this election...therefore not much changes in the policy..

i don't understand where this tighten policy is coming from...the 6.9 mill white paper was voted in and still due to plan

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 3:47 pm

Barnsley wrote:They are feeling the pressure!!
And that is perhaps the primary role of an opposition, to question and test. So if you are right, then they are successfully fulfilling that function. The other role is to be a candidate for an alternative government... [instinctively laughs to myself]. Of course the latter is rare with minor parties.

Example: 2015 UK election, the UKIP party got 12.7% of the national vote, yet with the 'first-past-the-post' voting system, that only saw them getting one MP returned (of a total of c650!), the party leader Nigel Farage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... tion,_2015

In such circumstances what tends to happen is the winning party subsequently feign (aka pretend) to borrow the likes of UKIPs more popular policies, and there you are, UKIP are once again neutered.
As an example, UKIP stand almost singularly for giving the people more of a democratic participation in the ongoing integration of the EU; rather than the current situation of bending over behind closed doors and simply pre-greasing the ring. So the PM (Cameron/Conservative) gives his 'deeply concerned' look on TV after UKIP do very well in the election, and promises to go off to Brussels and boldly fight for the UK's rights. Total bullshit of course, since all the main parties are *fully* signed up to the EU... whilst pretending to be varyingly sceptical. That is why UKIP getting 1/8th of the national vote is useful, the people have spoken, and their concerns better get listened to...

There seems to be an awkward dichotomy going on in SG. #1 an opposition is required to provide a fig-leaf of 'respectable democracy', vs #2 the opposition can only function within such a straight jacket (example: pretty much all media is controlled by the state), it never gets out of the blocks. But it's existence still has a value, however controlled, neutered, ridiculed. The alternative of a one party state, or something akin to autocracy, tends to be the road to a nation's eventual ruin. The people know this, and hence why where they have free will at the ballot box, they tend to express it.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 3:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: and if the opposition wins
Exaggerating any vulnerability just a leeetle bit there? :lol:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 4:27 pm

and the reach of PA Controlled Grassroot Leaders

https://www.reach.gov.sg/participate/di ... tituencies

I have no idea how it has worked so far, in WP controlled areas.

MayDay5
Regular
Regular

Post by MayDay5 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:34 pm

not going to get any better regardless of who wins

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:54 am

JR8 wrote:
Example: 2015 UK election, the UKIP party got 12.7% of the national vote, yet with the 'first-past-the-post' voting system, that only saw them getting one MP returned (of a total of c650!), the party leader Nigel Farage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... tion,_2015

Not that it changes your point but it wasn't actually Farage who was elected for UKIP, he lost to the Conservatives in the constituency he was contesting. The UKIPper who won was Douglas Carswell a former Conservative who switched parties prior to the election.

Mike