Singapore Expats

Spouse PR Approved but not accompanying children

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Sundae

Spouse PR Approved but not accompanying children

Post by Sundae » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 1:12 pm

Hi

We applied for my husband pr with children in his custody in Jan this year. I'm his 2nd wife, and we have been married 3 years. He is divorced with full custody of 2 kids (1 boy and 1 girl).

General information:
Wife: SC
husband: Taiwanese Chinese 43
Children
Son - Chinese Taiwan 10 year old
Daughter - Chinese Taiwan 8 year old

After 6 months, I saw in ica status online
Husband - approved
Son - rejected
Daughter - rejected

Anybody has the same experience? So what do we do with the kids? Long term visit pass?

x9200

Re: Spouse PR Approved but not accompanying children

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 1:23 pm

Just to clarify, by full custody you mean sole custody or joint custody with his rights not limited anyhow?
Yes, LTVPs. Are the kids living with you in Singapore?

Sundae

Post by Sundae » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 1:41 pm

Yes, sole custody and the kids live with us.

For the LTVP, should my husband (PR, Father) or I (SC, step mother, not required by law to have adoption papers) be the sponsor?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 1:53 pm

Probably should be the father, but I think you could have a choice of either Student visas or LTVPs until such time as they get their PR. I reckon it doesn't matter too much except in the case of the son who, if given PR, will be subject to an NS obligation. Was the spouse given PR based on Family Ties or PTS scheme?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Sundae

Post by Sundae » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 2:37 pm

I sponsored my hubby and kids pr application. They are still in Taiwan. Should be family ties? I read pts needs employment pass.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 5:10 pm

In one post you say you live with the kids in Singapore in another they are still in Taiwan.

As far as we can tell from what people post on this board there is normally no problem for the spouse to get the PR via family ties regardless living already in Singapore or not.
For the kids in this specific configuration, I don't recall any related posts, and surely not with the husband with the children under the sole custody. This is very rare and not following the typical scenario. I would not be surprised if this alone was a reason for the rejection, perhaps with some further speculations on their side.

Sundae

Post by Sundae » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 5:36 pm

My bad. The kids live with us in Taipei and in Singapore whenever they're here.

My guess is, I don't think I can be their sponsor as technically I do not have legal executional rights on their behalf because I am not their mother? So, perhaps all applications for them in the future would have to come either from their father or in their own capacity.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 5:47 pm

Sundae wrote:My bad. The kids live with us in Taipei and in Singapore whenever they're here.

My guess is, I don't think I can be their sponsor as technically I do not have legal executional rights on their behalf because I am not their mother? So, perhaps all applications for them in the future would have to come either from their father or in their own capacity.
Agree, this sounds like a perfectly valid reason. I didn't think about it. Much better anyway than what I mentioned.

This means now your husband should apply for their PR but I would still suggest to do the LTVP/student pass first.