Singapore Expats

Leasing a car for $1800 + GST

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
hotinsingapore

Leasing a car for $1800 + GST

Post by hotinsingapore » Thu, 20 Aug 2015 7:06 pm

Hi all!

Moving to Singapore early October and as part of the package a car lease is part subsidised, I just have to find it, get a quote and provide it to the company to pay etc.

The budget I have been given is $1800 + GST ($1926 inc I guess)

At home in Australia I drive a Subaru Forester. That would be nice there but don't think it would be in budget, not sure about your Legacy wagon? Not to mention I don't see a lot of these on your car sites.

Any other 'wagons/MPV/SUV' that might suit? Not really looking for a sedan, and not really after one of your little 1.6 little things like the Airwave. I have nothing against these, but coming from a country where there isn't such cost restrictions on engine size etc I've been used to big wagons and 6 cyl 4l engines (or 4cyl 2.4 turbo in my Forester) and not sure I could stand driving a lawnmower around (haha, no offence intended of course!) :)

Can I get any of the larger vehicles with decent engine with some luggage type space for $1926 including GST? If I don't want a sedan, is a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Wish my better/only options?

Are there any leasing places you can specifically suggest that are known to be very competitive?

Thanks so much!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Leasing a car for $1800 + GST

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:22 pm

Subaru is a 2.5L turbo, not 2.4 and the current model is a 2.0L T. For that lease rate you'll find something. Lots of companies around doing it - even the big 4 global car rental companies are into it.

There's a major price difference between <1.6L and >1.6L engined cars as well as a significant ramp up in running costs (tax/insurance) - you might find a Camry (2.4) is about as far as you can go on that budget.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 1:56 pm

2.4/2.5, what's 100ml between friends haha. Struggling to find anything but an 09 Forester for the budget, and that will be gone before I get a chance to organise it through the company. Will just keep an eye out closer to when I am there and jump on something suitable.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 2:08 pm

I run a 2007 2.5XT forester here. Fuel prices are a concern. We burn about $500 a month for a 18,000 km p.a. run. 95 Ron is $2.2/l

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Fri, 21 Aug 2015 2:29 pm

I was wondering what fuel prices were like. We pay 1.59 for 98 ron which I always use in mine. 2.2 doesn't surprise me over there. The good thing is the company is subsidising, we put in so much per year (pre tax), they supply a car to the value of $1800mth and they are also paying for fuel out of what we put in, so all we pay is ERP and parking. We will be living behind Lucky Plaza so parking is obviously free at our place, and I think if I'm careful with timing and take particular routes I can minimise ERP a bit. We won't NEED to drive in or out in peak times. Our cost out of our own pocket before parking away from home and ERP is about $190 week. We have the option of about $154 wk if we pay for fuel. If I get something a bit thirsty we'll go the fuel included option, if we get a 1.6 thing might pay for fuel ourselves. Will be stoked if I can find a not too old Forester or Liberty wagon to fit the companies budget. Closest I've been offered from a few leasing places I emailed is an 06 Hyundai Tucson. Might pass on that one, think I can do better.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 3:01 am

plenty of old frosties and liberties on sg car mart dot com...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 3:21 am

Never mind a Forester, living behind Lucky Plaza you'll have no problem finding a maid ;)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Leasing a car for $1800 + GST

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 6:59 am

hotinsingapore wrote:. Closest I've been offered from a few leasing places I emailed is an 06 Hyundai Tucson. Might pass on that one, think I can do better.
You are aware of the 10 year COE right ? 2006 => 2016 => no more COE => CAR heading for scrap.

JR8, Image

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 7:12 am

Yes I assume after the 12 month lease I'd have to look for another vehicle. :)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 9:06 am

If your company will pay the lease as a cash allowance... and you can afford the upfront cash - there are some 2005 frosties (2.0 XT) with freshly renewed 5 yr and 10yr COE's for sale on sg car mart. There's one for 58k with 5 years COE. That's about $960 / month depreciation. You'd be ahead by $800 a month if your call allowance is $1800 or whatever. There's some good Frostie independent service shops around so don't worry about service costs (I just had my 2007 completely redone, new paint, WRX brake upgrade, new suspension, engine dynod to 300hp, etc for $5k). I know it's a 10 year old car and seems like a heck of a lot of money but my view (and why I have a 2007 Frostie with a $1900 / month car allowance) is that the really rich drive older cars and save money rather than show boat. I save ALL my car allowance and I don''t give a shit if some four eyed Singaporean looks down on my 8 year old Frostie because with 300HP and 511NM on tap I can pretty much take any of their new shit boxes and a lot of "super" bikes as well. My next upgrade with be a bigger fast spooling turbo, high flow/pressure FP, new fuel lines, bigger injectors and possibly a cat back exhaust mod with a boost controller. Looking for 350+ HP.

There's a 2006 2.5XT for $18k. Add on a 10 year COE and the depreciation is pretty low as well. At 60k for a COE that's about $650 a month. You are losing the PARF rebate (which is probably about 10k) though (which is figured in). The PARF rebate can only be cashed in before 10 years. After that only a COE rebate applies.

The good thing about these renewed COE cars though is someone has already taken the hit on the PARF (import duty) and you can cancel the COE, scrap the car and get a full pro-rata rebate on the remaining COE when you leave.

I've usually been able to turn my car in to a dealer and walk out with a cheque when I leave Singapore and I've done it twice now thanks to the COE system.

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 9:19 am

They won't pay up front. And yeah Id rather an older decent car rather than a newer lawnmower on wheels. A 2007 Foz beats a near new Wish (which seems to match the budget) any day if you ask me! I'll settle for a wish if I need to. I am after something compact but still comfortable in the front with some space in the back to transport 'stuff' which is why a Foz is ideal too, not to mention kicks butt to drive!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 9:27 am

You need then to find a dealer who can 'lease' cars off his lot. I don't know how that works to be honest as I usually don't lease.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:07 am

PNGMK wrote:plenty of old frosties and liberties on sg car mart dot com...
Frosties ? Is that Oz speak for Forrester :p

hotinsingapore

Post by hotinsingapore » Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:11 am

Frostie or Foz.

By the way I think you call the Liberty a 'legacy' over there.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 30 Aug 2015 11:29 am

Frostie in my case because my forester is a light silver metallic colour and it suits.