Singapore Expats Forum

Tell me is there any employer who recruits Indian citizens?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

unluckyRAHUL

Tell me is there any employer who recruits Indian citizens?

Postby unluckyRAHUL » Sat, 22 Jan 2005 5:36 pm

hello ALL!!!!!!
Im an indian citizen looking for a job in singapore..at present im in singapore & looking for a job in sales & marketing.....but not a single employer is ready to employ an indian citizen...dont knw y??is it tht tough to get a job in Singapore??
I ve sent more than 100 application to the employer & recruitment agencies.
im really confused and tensed..i dont want to go back home without getting a job??
plzz help me...i ve tried almost all the jobs website like jobsdb,singaporjobsonline,jobstreet.com,clasijob....but no response frm anybody.
tell me is there any other source to find a job in singapore.....plzz advice.
thanku in advance.
rgs,
<RAHUL>

cold hard truth

I dont think so

Postby cold hard truth » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 6:33 pm

Sorry to hear abt your difficulty unluckyRAHUL, but I guess you hit the nail on the head there. Nationality, skin colour, accent, even gender decides what kind of a job you will get. Your qualifications and experiences are only a minor factor and hardly decides where you'll be placed in this society.

I suppose your nationality, skin colour and/or accent is working against you landing your desired job. The sluggish economy doesn't help your cause either.

I am afraid that I couldn't post a rosy picture but that's the sad & unfortunate reality out here.

I hope you'll get some job nevertheless.

cold hard truth

unluckyRAHUL wrote:hello ALL!!!!!!
Im an indian citizen looking for a job in singapore..at present im in singapore & looking for a job in sales & marketing.....but not a single employer is ready to employ an indian citizen...dont knw y??is it tht tough to get a job in Singapore??
im really confused and tensed..i dont want to go back home without getting a job??
plzz help me...i ve tried almost all the jobs website like jobsdb,singaporjobsonline,jobstreet.com,clasijob....but no response frm anybody.
thanku in advance.
rgs,
<RAHUL>

Re: Tell me is there any employer who recruits Indian citize

Postby Guest » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 8:02 pm

unluckyRAHUL wrote:hello ALL!!!!!!
thanku in advance.
rgs,
<RAHUL>

Maybe i can help you out, I think you must register on the website, so i can send you a personal mail, or leave an email address

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:06 pm

Dear Unlucky,

Yes, there is no doubt that discrimination raises its ugly head when it comes to hiring Indians. That said, I also know a number of Indians who hold a variety of jobs in the IT industry, including top management roles with multi nationals. So, it can be done.

I have a step brother who lamented to me one day that he had sent out 120 resumes and had not received a single response. When I suggested that perhaps his resume was not getting out the message that would gain him an interview, he became quite defensive, saying that he had mailed 120 of them. He never quite got the point that it is not the number mailed out, but the number of responses that matter.

So, the question becomes: Are you getting the right message out with your resume? Are you simply telling them about you, or are you telling them what you can do for their company? Are you simply making a list of your last marketing successes or are you demonstrating creativity and innovative thought processes that enabled you to get the sale?

In this day and age of word processors, every last resume should be tailored to the company to which you send it. Do some research on the company to which you are applying. Find out who the largest customers are. Find out the name of the person, or at least the title of the person who would actually hire you and for whom you would be working. Find out the company's strengths, and better yet, identify the weaknesses and address how you would tackle those weaknesses. Do everything you can do to bypass the Human Resources department, which in my opinion does a great job a eliminating the great candidates while letting in people who simply make it pass a check list. When you have a targeted hiring manager, use a courier service to hand deliver your resume to the person who can make a difference. The odds of it being read are much greater, and the simple display of creativity will go a long way to demonstrating your ability to solve problems and make the sale... your own personal sale.

Your cover letter is every bit as important as your resume, if not more so. It is your opportunity to demonstrate how you would take the history of your resume and use it to be of value to the company.

Sales and marketing is very much a relationship game. People don't buy because of the company, people buy because of the trust and relationship they have with their sales person. Consider netwroking in the professional organizations frequented by your target companies. Contact NUS and develop some leads from the business department and their multitude of business contacts. Network with those who are not hiring to find those who are and to build recommendations.

Finally, Unlucky, attitude is everything. If you are unlucky, frantic, and pleading, you shoot yourself before you ever get started. You are what you think you are. When you can post a message as "Lucky", when you can walk into an interview with the attitude of "f*ck em!... they need me more than I need them", then you become attractive. You exude confidence, you look like a winner, not a loser grovelling for a job.

I didn't find a job to move here, I started a business, and it has meant that I have had to reinvent myself numerous times. If I don't know how to do something, I say, "Yes, I can do that"... and then I find out how. My clients value me for what I can do now, not what I did in the past.

Good luck to you, Lucky... and if you think about it, you are immensely lucky... just as I am.

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 4:00 pm

Rahul, are you still in Singapore? If you don't mind can i have a look at your resume/ CV?

Perhaps there's an opening for you here =)

MovingfromSydneySingapore

BRAVO BRAVO

Postby MovingfromSydneySingapore » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 5:26 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Dear Unlucky,

Yes, there is no doubt that discrimination raises its ugly head when it comes to hiring Indians. That said, I also know a number of Indians who hold a variety of jobs in the IT industry, including top management roles with multi nationals. So, it can be done.

I have a step brother who lamented to me one day that he had sent out 120 resumes and had not received a single response. When I suggested that perhaps his resume was not getting out the message that would gain him an interview, he became quite defensive, saying that he had mailed 120 of them. He never quite got the point that it is not the number mailed out, but the number of responses that matter.

So, the question becomes: Are you getting the right message out with your resume? Are you simply telling them about you, or are you telling them what you can do for their company? Are you simply making a list of your last marketing successes or are you demonstrating creativity and innovative thought processes that enabled you to get the sale?

In this day and age of word processors, every last resume should be tailored to the company to which you send it. Do some research on the company to which you are applying. Find out who the largest customers are. Find out the name of the person, or at least the title of the person who would actually hire you and for whom you would be working. Find out the company's strengths, and better yet, identify the weaknesses and address how you would tackle those weaknesses. Do everything you can do to bypass the Human Resources department, which in my opinion does a great job a eliminating the great candidates while letting in people who simply make it pass a check list. When you have a targeted hiring manager, use a courier service to hand deliver your resume to the person who can make a difference. The odds of it being read are much greater, and the simple display of creativity will go a long way to demonstrating your ability to solve problems and make the sale... your own personal sale.

Your cover letter is every bit as important as your resume, if not more so. It is your opportunity to demonstrate how you would take the history of your resume and use it to be of value to the company.

Sales and marketing is very much a relationship game. People don't buy because of the company, people buy because of the trust and relationship they have with their sales person. Consider netwroking in the professional organizations frequented by your target companies. Contact NUS and develop some leads from the business department and their multitude of business contacts. Network with those who are not hiring to find those who are and to build recommendations.

Finally, Unlucky, attitude is everything. If you are unlucky, frantic, and pleading, you shoot yourself before you ever get started. You are what you think you are. When you can post a message as "Lucky", when you can walk into an interview with the attitude of "f*ck em!... they need me more than I need them", then you become attractive. You exude confidence, you look like a winner, not a loser grovelling for a job.

I didn't find a job to move here, I started a business, and it has meant that I have had to reinvent myself numerous times. If I don't know how to do something, I say, "Yes, I can do that"... and then I find out how. My clients value me for what I can do now, not what I did in the past.

Good luck to you, Lucky... and if you think about it, you are immensely lucky... just as I am.

BRAVO , I really liked the way you posted your response.

MovingfromSydneySingapore

Thanks

Postby MovingfromSydneySingapore » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 5:33 pm

Hello Strong Eagle

Can you tell what type of business you are doing and also your struggles and success, So that Rahul can pick few threads from your life.

I am also intrested inthat

Savage
Regular
Regular

Postby Savage » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 2:06 pm

Rahul,

PM or email me your resume. If you have the requisite experience, I know of a couple of openings that might interest you.