Singapore Expats Forum

EZ-Link card in IU

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
Rumpel

EZ-Link card in IU

Postby Rumpel » Tue, 11 Aug 2015 12:33 pm

Hello,

I used to top up my cashcard at the ATM, but DBS is no longer offering this service.
I am therefore interested in using my EZ-Link card in my IU and top it up via Auto-topup.
Does anyone have any experience in doing so?
What are the major problems/advantages?

Thank you for your input.

Best'

D.

saran

Re: EZ-Link card in IU

Postby saran » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 2:49 pm

Hi,

Some car parks do not accept EZ-link card.

Cheers

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 5:25 pm

Only if you have Dual-Mode IU. Only new cars have that. I drove 6 years ago and it didn't have that that time.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 8:54 pm

And EZ-Link auto top-up only works when you tap a bus/train panel...it doesn't trigger auto-top-up when used for purchases, IU etc.

MayDay5
Regular
Regular

Postby MayDay5 » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:42 pm

Some car parks not accept EZ-link card

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:21 am

Um, what about applying the NETS vCashCard for replacement of your existing NETS card instead of confusing yourself with the EZ-Link?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Rumpel

Postby Rumpel » Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:18 pm

Ok,

I am now using the EZ-Link card with auto-top up in my IU and so far it works very well.
The card is accepted at all ERP gates and many car parks.
I am keeping my old cash card in the glove compartment for use in carparks that don't accept the "Cepas" standard, but I didn't have to use the cash card last week at all!

Basically it works like this:
The required amount is deducted from your EZ-link card, if the stored value isn't enough to pay the charges it will get topped up with your pre-set top up amount.

It was really strange to drive into a car park with only $0.60 left in the card. Even stranger to drive to the exit gate! But then the unit beeped twice, the new balance was shown as $48.95, and the gate opened.

Every ERP gate and every carpark that has the 'CEPAS' logo will be able to use your EZ-Link card and trigger a top-up if needed.

I looked into the vNets cash card, but it only works at ERP gates, not carparks.
I checked also into the Motorpay offer from DBS, but it also only works with ERP gates and they charge a monthly fee.

Ok, hope this will help someone.

Best'

D.