Singapore Expats

What race to put down for children on government forms?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
American
Regular
Regular

What race to put down for children on government forms?

Post by American » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:11 pm

I'm having trouble determining what race to put down for our mixed-race children on government forms. We are not of the Chinese, Malay, Indian nor Caucasian races. I'm of mixed non-Chinese asian heritage born and raised in the U.S.A. and wife is of another single Asian heritage.

Can we simply put "other", or do we have to hyphenate all of our races combined on government forms?

NunuvanDijk

Re: RE: What race to put down for children on government forms?

Post by NunuvanDijk » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:57 pm

American wrote:I'm having trouble determining what race to put down for our mixed-race children on government forms. We are not of the Chinese, Malay, Indian nor Caucasian races. I'm of mixed non-Chinese asian heritage born and raised in the U.S.A. and wife is of another single Asian heritage.

Can we simply put "other", or do we have to hyphenate all of our races combined on government forms?
We put mixed to our child form. Im Indonesiam, husband is caucasian Dutch.

American
Regular
Regular

Re: What race to put down for children on government forms?

Post by American » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 12:20 am

met with the official today and it is confirmed that we are OTHER. Either you are a Chinese, Malay, Indian or Other. And you have to put down a "Dialect' which ties to your mother tongue language. For me, even though I am of Asian heritage, my Dialect was still "ENGLISH". Go figure.

NunuvanDijk

Re: What race to put down for children on government forms?

Post by NunuvanDijk » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 1:20 pm

This 'which race' question still surprised me, but hey when in Rome... :P