Singapore Expats

Status of second generation PR when they reach adulthood

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kma88

Status of second generation PR when they reach adulthood

Post by kma88 » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 4:38 pm

When a second generation PR becomes adult (21 ?), REP renewals will be based on his own merits. Does anyone know how easy or difficult this is? Do they need good jobs or would their renewal be rejected if they don't have a job? I have both sons and daughter and my sons will serve NS. They are still young but I'd just like to know in advance.

Also my daughter is born in Singapore, and will likely spend her entire childhood here. Does this make it easier for her to apply for Singapore citizenship (on her own when she becomes an adult), or it is not something the ICA considers at all?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Status of second generation PR when they reach adulthood

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 9:01 pm

The girls can stay as long as they are single and live with the parents. The boys will, unless they are total screw-ups, be eligible for or offered Citizenship. If they don't take up citizenship they will continue to be PRs who will have to apply for their own re-entry permits and be subject to the same criteria for re-entry permit renewal as any other adult would. (Unless it's changed and I'm not aware of it).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kma88

Post by kma88 » Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. So my daughter's REP renewals will be tied to mine even after she turns 21?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:52 pm

Probably not tied to yours, but on her own as long as she is single and living at home. At least that is the way it used to be. First time I've heard the question in many years, truth be known. I haven't actually been able to find the black & white for it currently, so it might be something you could fire off to ICA to ascertain the current status of it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 3:56 pm

I think for the daughters, it would be on the basis that they are unmarried and living in the same residential address. I'm trying to find the government page that said this.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 4:39 pm

The only thing I'm able to find that's current is the following.....
Additional Documents Required for Dependant SPR below 21 Years of Age

Travel document
Parent's identity cards

When the applicant reaches 21 years old, he/she needs to produce the highest qualification certificate and proof of employment in Singapore, if any.