Singapore Expats

Upon relocation - what were the surprise costs?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Benji1975

Upon relocation - what were the surprise costs?

Post by Benji1975 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 5:33 am

Sorry, another post but I am getting some great information from you guys that, should we relocate, I will do my best to share from my experience (blog/this site etc).

We've got a spread sheet of all the costs to come out here based on the proposed salary and she's still slightly nervous....erring massively on side of caution (nothing wrong with that). We're assuming (for sake of sums) I won't work although that is the plan...
I've trawled various sites including mumsnet (shoot me now) and read about A/C leccy costs etc but I'm wondering for anyone moving a family of 4 (2 x young kids) to SG into a ~$6000 house out of the center, what are the surprise hidden costs above the ones that you have researched? Everything seems to involve a 'admin' fee so we accept we'll need a decent chunk to cover deposits, nursery registration etc.
I appreciate it's a bit of a crap question because it depends on how you want to live i.e if you want to party out every night like you are in London...it's going to cost a massive amount. We're not looking to be downing Moet in the trendy bars every weekend....
Anyhoo...for those who have done it, what was the surprise hit? I don't want to be gauche with numbers but it's a very skewed spreadsheet when you have to factor in $30k for your twins nursery costs, $70k for rent. Suddenly the headline rate isn't quite so outrageous.

Search By

gunrock

Re: Upon relocation - what were the surprise costs?

Post by gunrock » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:14 am

Be very interested to know what you found. Especially since you mentioned twins (which I have). Did you make the move and what did you find?

Benji1975

Post by Benji1975 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 1:14 am

We haven't made the move yet but the date is getting every closer. Our flights are booked 9th Dec and shipping company turns up on 22nd. Oh and I'm getting married on Saturday.....life is busy at the moment!

I'll happily fill you in on all the details but obviously it depends on circumstances and what lifestyle you are looking to lead.

We're paying upfront out of our own cash (apart from flights) because the relocation is going to get paid in the first pay check which will be Jan 1st.

So far, we haven't incurred much but flights with Singapore airline for us 4 (kids over 2) was about £3k if I recall ( as i said, booked by her new company). I am about book a rental car for month which is going to cost about £1200 all in with damage waiver etc. Then, we have a place booked via AirBnB for the first month that is $4000 a month (3 bed condo fully furnished) and we're paying $2000 upfront upon arrival.
Shipping for our belongings (no furniture though) is just over £2k and that's for a a volume of 10m cubed i.e something like 2.5m x 2.0m x 2.0m. However they want something like 900 to insure it so I'm looking into this.
Maid levys and the like is all done on an insurance policy so a few hundred dollars to cover this and an agency fee of maybe £300-500.
So far, nothing else jumping out as money we need to spend..until we get to schooling/kindergarten. That's when the costs kick in!

Are you/partner looking for a job out there? Having spoken to enough people and done the research I have a reasonable idea of what salary will get you what lifestyle. It's what compromises you are prepared to make i guess and what you are used to whereever your home is now..

regards
Ben

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 2:55 am

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, I'm looking to make the move but the firm are trying to shaft me on wages (as expected). The relocation package is a bit grim and I'm trying to get >~250k SGD base, but been told it's too much, so I'm angling for total compensation of that (or more, if I can get it).

I have three kids, one at secondary school and the twins. Don't want to be struggling for money whilst we're there and it's a big financial risk for me. I'd be looking to take a bit more stuff than 10m cubed (with three kids there's just some stuff I can't leave back) but unlikely to bring much furniture.

Ideally I'd be looking for a semi-D or cluster house rather than a condo as we don't really want to do high-rise living (though Mount Faber Lodge looks like a possible exception to the rule), but are still flexible. Kids will need to go to International School, especially the eldest, but all of them are currently in state schools, so that's a new expense.

I'm from London and work in London, plan to rent out the house when we go in case it all doesn't work out. My wife and I are homebodies generally (she'd like to get a job but understands it's difficult to do so - she's a PA/secretary) and we like eating out but I'd imagine we'll be eating in hawkers a lot as we enjoyed that back on our honeymoon (many years back). She can cook and we eat an Keralan/Goan type diet mixed with English dishes (more for the kids). We don't drink a lot (occasional beer and she likes a rare glass of wine - like seriously, I haven't had a drink since August!).

That's about all I have for now - interested in your feedback.

Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 5:33 am

Interesting to-and-fro you two, please update as you go through the process. It feels personal [maybe, to you], but is invariably of use to others (and of interest to 'we that have gone before' ;))

Feck me Benji,
'We haven't made the move yet but the date is getting every closer. Our flights are booked 9th Dec and shipping company turns up on 22nd. Oh and I'm getting married on Saturday.....life is busy at the moment!'

I sometimes wish more SGns could see through their sometimes yellow-mist that these things/transfers/opportunities don't just get delivered by some benevolent government directly into your lap; you have to go out and damned well grab them with both hands, and that assumes leaps of faith and personal risk!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 9:47 am

JR8 wrote:
I sometimes wish more SGns could see through their sometimes yellow-mist that these things/transfers/opportunities don't just get delivered by some benevolent government directly into your lap; you have to go out and damned well grab them with both hands, and that assumes leaps of faith and personal risk!
Its the "You are only here because you can't make it at home mentality" that I dont understand.

Maybe its a cultural thing about not leaving the nest unless you really have to and not through choice that brings this thinking.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:14 am

JR8 wrote:assumes leaps of faith and personal risk
You betcha.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:22 am

I am mid air in the leap of faith i can't go back and not sure if I'll land. only one thing to do.
Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:13 pm

Barnsley wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Its the "You are only here because you can't make it at home mentality" that I dont understand.

Maybe its a cultural thing about not leaving the nest unless you really have to and not through choice that brings this thinking.
Not sure. I know some nations* with a good mix of the said cultural thing and they do not show the mentality.
*) e.g. Dutch, Polish.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 7:37 pm

Surprise costs? Booze!

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah, not such a problem for us. Just grew out of drinking over time. I think having young twins helped with that, as kids don't give a f#@£ if you have a hangover!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:38 pm

Niiiice RAJM, I lost count of the number of roles each band member has in that vid.... hehehe :)

p.s. surprise costs? Expensive booze, and cheap women ;)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:51 pm

Looking to avoid both, tbh!

ts77fox

Post by ts77fox » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 6:36 pm

We do not have kids yet. So we thought perhaps we can spend some money on a car. One thing we find different here is the cost of private transport. Having a car costs an astronomical amount here in Singapore. A small Korean car cost nearly $60k, and that is not considering insurance, gas and road tax etc - outrageous.

gunrock

Post by gunrock » Fri, 20 Nov 2015 10:07 pm

Small (already quite polluted) island. Makes sense to limit the influx of cars.