Singapore Expats

Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Benji1975

Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Post by Benji1975 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 7:13 pm

Hi all, anyone got any experience of this? I know of one couple (gay) who had this because they couldn't be so choosy as a lot of maids would not live with lesbian couple and it seemed to work for them.
The good lady suggested it might be nice as;

1 - Helping that bit more rather than 'depriving' a maid of her son/daughter back in home country
2 - child could be fun and play with our 2.5 year old twins.

My concern then is where do you set boundaries? I'm not sure I want someone else's child running round my house at the weekends BUT then I would feel a right XXXX telling my two to stop playing with their friend and banishing him/her to the maids room?

I'm currently trawling sites trying to work out whether we can have a combined nanny/maid? We currently have a nanny in England as we both work full time and, with twins, the cost of a nanny is only slightly more than nursery fees and you don't get the agg of dropping them off or picking them up.
Cost of kindergarten looks quite high so we would consider having a nanny/maid that could have them during the day and take them to clubs/meets exactly like our nanny does now. Is this possible?
It looks like I won't be working for a while as my partner will be jumping straight into a busy role involving international travel so I'll just doss round the house watching telly. I jest, looks like my role will be to 'project manage' our relocation (might get temp housing to start) and integration.

regards
Ben

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:00 pm

Benji1975 wrote:Hi all, anyone got any experience of this? I know of one couple (gay) who had this because they couldn't be so choosy as a lot of maids would not live with lesbian couple and it seemed to work for them.
The good lady suggested it might be nice as;

1 - Helping that bit more rather than 'depriving' a maid of her son/daughter back in home country
2 - child could be fun and play with our 2.5 year old twins.
you want to bring a nanny with her child to Singapore ?

As of now, there is no such pass, and MOM doesn't like such arrangement, I am sure of that

Your thought is noble, but the Govt thinks otherwise.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:08 pm

Probably possible with a student pass but who is going to pay for it?
But I agree, MOM is not going to like it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:10 pm

x9200 wrote:Probably possible with a student pass but who is going to pay for it?
Student pass for child of nanny ?

It's gonna work fine... nope, it won't fly ... people have tried all that in the past ..

x9200

Re: RE: Re: Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 3:22 am

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:Probably possible with a student pass but who is going to pay for it?

It's gonna work fine... nope, it won't fly ... people have tried all that in the past ..
You mean like the kid was accepted full time to a private kindergarten or International School and ICA refused to grant the pass? Any examples?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Live in maid/Nanny with child?

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 9:42 am

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

You mean like the kid was accepted full time to a private kindergarten or International School and ICA refused to grant the pass? Any examples?
Mom has strict rules on relatives and siblings and children etc when it comes to FDWs, any good maid agent will tell you the specifics on why your suggestion is wrong

Of course if you go to a money minded agent they will teach you all the loopholes, and will forget to tell you the repercussions when MOM finds out

Been there, seen that a lot.

Benji1975

Post by Benji1975 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 5:48 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. Because I was aware of someone who had done this I thought it was relatively normal. Clearly, it's not so I'm not even going to consider it now you guys have clarified!

In that respect, I am thinking that we would rather a more mature nanny/maid who has more experience and maybe has children who have left home. Our current nanny in the UK who is in her 40's has grown up children back in Brazil and loves her job as she gets to 'relive' her child caring days all over again but without getting broody!

Can you request to an agency that you want a maid to do a mix of maid/nanny work? I see descriptions listed as 'able to drop off/nursery' etc but we would want a maid that could also get them up and then spend a few hours on 3-5 days either in the house or then maybe taking them to groups/kindergarten on some days (exactly as our nanny does at home).

I won't be working to start with so obviously I'll enjoy looking after them more than I do now but I would still be out and about, especially in the beginning looking at rental properties etc, furnishing and then sorting all the paperwork/logistics.

Not sure if asking maid to look after two energetic 2.5 year olds for 5 hours a day AND keep the place clean is asking too much?

Ben

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:32 pm

Benji1975 wrote:Ok, thanks for the info. Because I was aware of someone who had done this I thought it was relatively normal. Clearly, it's not so I'm not even going to consider it now you guys have clarified!
Well, to be clear, you can check with any maid agency, about the 'loopholes' ;)
Benji1975 wrote:In that respect, I am thinking that we would rather a more mature nanny/maid who has more experience and maybe has children who have left home. Our current nanny in the UK who is in her 40's has grown up children back in Brazil and loves her job as she gets to 'relive' her child caring days all over again but without getting broody!
Most nannies who end up in Singapore are single mothers with kids ranging from 3 years to 20 or so, the agencies will show the list.
Can you request to an agency that you want a maid to do a mix of maid/nanny work? I see descriptions listed as 'able to drop off/nursery' etc but we would want a maid that could also get them up and then spend a few hours on 3-5 days either in the house or then maybe taking them to groups/kindergarten on some days (exactly as our nanny does at home).

I won't be working to start with so obviously I'll enjoy looking after them more than I do now but I would still be out and about, especially in the beginning looking at rental properties etc, furnishing and then sorting all the paperwork/logistics.

Not sure if asking maid to look after two energetic 2.5 year olds for 5 hours a day AND keep the place clean is asking too much?

Ben
What you described above describes the regular duties of nannies/FDWs in Singapore. Though a few get made to work more, like daily dusting of the house, daily washing of boss' car .. and daily laundry

There was a few threads here about settling in new nannies

As for 'referral', well, you can search here and there, options galore

Though the place https://www.anisya.com/ is recommended for maids looking for transfer, and with no fees. It is an NGO and run as a refuge for maids who need help and co-located with HOME.