Singapore Expats

BBQ Conversion

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
re7

BBQ Conversion

Post by re7 » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 3:44 pm

Hi all,

I have a Weber I brought with me from Australia in my move. I want to dust off the cobwebs and get it fired up.

I believe there is some sort of conversion that needs to be done for it to utilise the tanks here right?

if any one can help me with if this is correct and any suitable/recommended technicians to do this it would be appreciated.

Thansk All!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: BBQ Conversion

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 4:04 pm

I find the easiest conversion is if you use bottled gas. Just take the regulator that fastens to the bottle off the hose and buy a new regulator, about $70 and it will fit all bottles in Singapore.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: BBQ Conversion

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 9:10 pm

Webers are generally not convertible from propane to natural gas and vice versa. If you were previously using a propane tank, then what SMS said... just swap the regulator... works fine. But, you cannot simply run a natural gas appliance on propane or vice versa without a orifice conversion... propane is about 2500 BTU per cubic foot, natural gas about 1000.

There are two types of regulators that fit the different brands... Esso and Mobilegas, I think. They are not interchangeable so decide whose going to be your local dealer and talk to that one about getting the regulator. Maybe the regulator price is a factor. Both regulators output the same pressure but one of them has a slightly higher CFM rating... probably doesn't matter for a BBQ, did matter when deep frying turkeys as it took longer to heat the oil.

If you have previously been hooked to a natural gas line, then you will need to do the same here IF the property had it installed years ago... many properties did not... my first semi-D had city gas, the second did not.