Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 4:29 am

calugaruvaxile, I agree with what you say about both trying to use the MNC's to force non-qualified Singapore hires and the history of attracting foreign companies, then workers. And, I agree that until Singapore starts teaching people how to think rather than parroting facts, not much of this is going to change.

Singapore has made a major error in a couple of other respects as well. First and foremost was making changes to real investment laws that loosened the rules on foreign investment. The idea, of course, was to introduce foreign money in order to spur growth and more jobs.

That happened in 2004 and property prices have been skyrocketing ever since. I judge that the authorities, by not allowing foreign sales of HDB and landed properties, thought that they could let the private condo market rise without affecting housing for the 'average' Singaporean.

Obviously, that has not turned out to be the case, and the average Singaporean sees housing as more and more out of reach; hence the desire to earn more in order to buy into the market and make money via appreciation. The excessively high auction prices for raw land have not helped, either.

The increase in real estate values has hurt Singapore in many other ways as well. Retail, office, and commercial space, all which can be invested in by foreigners, is a principal driver of costs, especially retail and commercial, where a significant percentage of the retail purchase price goes directly into the the landlord's pockets. As a result, real purchasing power has been eroded, increasing the demands for larger salaries for the 'good things' in life.

The government is trying to fix this mess with taxes on foreign investors and taxes on property flippers, and even the solution creates more problems now that the horse is out of the barn. Falling property prices and foreign property taxes has foreign investors fleeing and that means real estate inventory is going to hang around for a lot longer than anyone wants. The government can't push on this too hard... there are already hundreds of millions in defaulted mortgages held by Singapore banks... and yet prices are still out of range of the average Singaporean.

And or more minor import, yet one that creates still more dissatisfaction, is the policy of auctioning COE's instead of running a simple lottery... again, the 'average' Singaporean is excluded.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 2:46 pm

Keep calm and vote :D

...check your polling stations here https://app.eservice.eld.gov.sg/Polling ... quiry.aspx

MayDay5
Regular
Regular

Post by MayDay5 » Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:59 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:15 am

Looks like todays rallys had a good turn out!

Any good orators worth listening to in Singapore?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 2:26 am

Whoa - wtf did LSL say - this was in reference to his usual attacks on the oppo - "Take a look at the people we have, and the people they have. What sort of people are you?" - problem was he was talking about SINGAPOREANS. Major misstep and a good example of why so many people dislike him. Arrogance becomes no one.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 4:06 am

They're the sort of people that don't live in $20mm mansions on Oxley Rise. They're in touch with real life.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:20 am

JR8 wrote:They're the sort of people that don't live in $20mm mansions on Oxley Rise. They're in touch with real life.

Altho LHL has been generally good at not appearing to be elitist... occasionally a glimpse shows through a crack I suspect.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:37 am

PNGMK wrote:
JR8 wrote:They're the sort of people that don't live in $20mm mansions on Oxley Rise. They're in touch with real life.

Altho LHL has been generally good at not appearing to be elitist... occasionally a glimpse shows through a crack I suspect.
Shockingly, and unbelievably, quite a few MP and Ministers do stay in places other than mansions !

Including the speaker.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:40 am

This is the first time when PAP have had to do any real Politicking in a while , and I think they are out of practice.

Some ill advised comments here and there.

They still control the mainstream media but thats not enough anymore.

I think it will be an interesting election :D =D> =D> =D>

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:55 am

Barnsley wrote:Any good orators worth listening to in Singapore?
I always look out for M Ravi ..not sure if he's a good orator...but he's entertaining :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:01 pm

menudown wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Any good orators worth listening to in Singapore?
I always look out for M Ravi ..not sure if he's a good orator...but he's entertaining :lol:
He forgot which party he has submitted his nominations for, and almost mentioned PAP :p

And .. he said something in Tamil like for ten cents, but ran out of steam, and that too makes no sense ....

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 03 Sep 2015 6:08 pm

Came across Goh Chok Tong and entourage this morning. Doing a little campaigning on the Siglap PCN, at 7am. Catching those early commuters I guess.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 6:31 am

bgd wrote:Came across Goh Chok Tong and entourage this morning. Doing a little campaigning on the Siglap PCN, at 7am. Catching those early commuters I guess.
Nothing like trying to talk to someone who's in a hurry to be somewhere.

:roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 9:33 am

nakatago wrote:
bgd wrote:Came across Goh Chok Tong and entourage this morning. Doing a little campaigning on the Siglap PCN, at 7am. Catching those early commuters I guess.
Nothing like trying to talk to someone who's in a hurry to be somewhere.

:roll:
Small Talk minimum - Check
Photo Op - Check

Job done , always good to catch folk in a hurry when you are not that interested yourself

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 04 Sep 2015 10:29 am

He actually lives along the PCN, so it's quite possible he does this walk regularly. It is a nice walk at that time of the morning.