Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by calugaruvaxile » Fri, 25 Sep 2015 9:31 am

dude, what exactly do you want? to quarrel with me? sorry, i have no time to entertain you.

i explained quite clearly why giving up the pr IS tricking the system: as "the system" is meant for people who stay, and whose money are arrested. the system IS arresting people's money. what do you think the huge debts accumulated by people in sg to buy house and car are for? it's a subtle serfdon. example: you can't sell your flat, not without a hefty loss, so you stay here (and shut up and be happy)

of course, i'm stating the obvious, going around the question, etc. the point is: the system in sg is financial servitude. that's my point of view. as a dweller you have huge debts, a property you lease (for 99 years) and a car you lease (for 10 years) and a pension fund you don't own.

in sg, all these contracts can be amended tomorrow, as govt wants, so you better check the straits every morning to see if you still own anything. yes, i'm exaggerating, hoping that you see what i mean.

do i have a grudge against sg? no, dude! i actually got a lot a money from sg, and currently i have everything i need. i have a grudge against sg citizens who act like sheep and accept all this and they're really happy. instead of going forward, make a citizen's movement like walesa's solidarity, they bitch about this and that, blaming the klingonians for the erp increase.

and that's pretty much all i had to say about these things. i'm not interested in flaming with you. i'm too old for that

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 01 Oct 2015 10:40 am

Also pretty freaking dense as well. You have jumped out of the pot and into the fire by moving to the US. You are the one who has been tricked. lol
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 12:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Also pretty freaking dense as well. You have jumped out of the pot and into the fire by moving to the US. You are the one who has been tricked. lol
absolutely!! too bad i'm missing these:
Starting next year, fees for international students attending local secondary schools will rise to $800 a month. It is a far cry from 2009, when students from outside the region paid just $226 a month - and that included miscellaneous fees. It is a steep jump even from the $650 a month they currently pay.

Meanwhile, younger international pupils who attend local primary schools will have to pay $550 a month - up from the $500 a month they pay now. In 2009, such pupils were charged just $156 a month, including miscellaneous fees.
err ... for the same tax as the locals, of course.

this, of course, not counting the fact that the gov't will send pr kids to whatever crappy school they wish (foreigner kids will probably be kicked out, anyway). guess what, i'm crying my shirt off!!

plus
Two biggest pre-school operators My First Skool and PCF to raise fees

which means everyone will raise 5-10%.

yes, paying more for less and being discriminated against ... i'm SOOO missing these ...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 7:58 am

That okay, your taxes, FICA and Medical Insurance will more than make up for it. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 8:56 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That okay, your taxes, FICA and Medical Insurance will more than make up for it. ;-)
yeah, but my two cars certainly shift the balance in the right direction :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 10:33 am

I don't need a car here, so the balance shifts back here again. No need to watch out for idiots with entitlement complexes. Oh, I forgot, you are in Houston, izzit? So you are a candidate for someone's misplaced road rage. I don't have to worry about that. ;-)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 10:45 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:
Starting next year, fees for international students attending local secondary schools will rise to $800 a month. It is a far cry from 2009, when students from outside the region paid just $226 a month - and that included miscellaneous fees. It is a steep jump even from the $650 a month they currently pay.

Meanwhile, younger international pupils who attend local primary schools will have to pay $550 a month - up from the $500 a month they pay now. In 2009, such pupils were charged just $156 a month, including miscellaneous fees.
err ... for the same tax as the locals, of course.

this, of course, not counting the fact that the gov't will send pr kids to whatever crappy school they wish (foreigner kids will probably be kicked out, anyway). guess what, i'm crying my shirt off!!

plus
Two biggest pre-school operators My First Skool and PCF to raise fees

which means everyone will raise 5-10%.

yes, paying more for less and being discriminated against ... i'm SOOO missing these ...
Don't want jump into the bandwagon of USA vs SG banter, but I just want to add a perspective into this disparity. Look at it this way, these international male students don't have to do NS when they hit the ripe age. This is where one should weigh is between the extra amount of money a parent has to pay, and, the hoops and sacrifices a parent/child has to go through to do NS or to avoid NS.
Last edited by the lynx on Fri, 02 Oct 2015 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 1:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No need to watch out for idiots with entitlement complexes.
I thought you were talking about SG, but then I got to this bit... :???:

Edit/Add: by the same logic that you seem to be suggesting Lynx (re: ^), should SGn females be charged the same school fees as international students?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 2:09 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:No need to watch out for idiots with entitlement complexes.
It's not about entitlement complexes in SG. It's about lack of imagination and commonly accepted and expected road traffic habits.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 2:23 pm

I was thinking about the 'entitlement belief' re: landing top jobs in MNCs, which appears to be a factor in tipping the balance for some of the latter departing SG.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 2:29 pm

JR8 wrote:

Edit/Add: by the same logic that you seem to be suggesting Lynx (re: ^), should SGn females be charged the same school fees as international students?
Or should Singaporean females be enlisted for national service? :twisted:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 2:40 pm

the lynx wrote:Or should Singaporean females be enlisted for national service? :twisted:

It works for Israel, and with scenes like ^ I could warm to the idea :wink:

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 02 Oct 2015 8:13 pm

I remember having similar debates with SMS in the past about the inability of driving cars in SG. But its been 6 years now for me in SG and now for the last 1 yr I dont even ride a motorcycle, like a I used to before. I sold my Motorcycle since I got a job in the city and its not practical anymore. I dont miss it anymore. Its just psychological, that you need a car or a bike. MRT is just fine, even though it takes a bit longer, there are positives, like you dont have to keep your mind focused on the road. You can go into your subconcious mind and reflect on things or you can play candy crush, browse this forum or something else.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Oct 2015 8:45 pm

:-)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Oct 2015 8:50 pm

I'm all for women doing NS, but in a slightly different fashion (although the fashion posted above could certainly change my "view"). And "Yes" by all means move to the US where instead of NS, you find yourself "drafted" (the draft still is on the books, but has been mothballed since 75 after VN. Just think instead of doing two years of character building in Sg NS, they could get drafted and killed in some war we don't even belong in. You lose some more.