Singapore Expats

General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 8:27 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:the swing in favor of the pap means that the locals truly believe that this year's pork barrel gifts are there to last ...
What better alternates did the opposition propose, in lieu ?

Other than stoking anti government , and foreigner feelings, and blaming the rulers, I didn't see much ...

And I will stop at that

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 8:42 am

ecureilx wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote:the swing in favor of the pap means that the locals truly believe that this year's pork barrel gifts are there to last ...
What better alternates did the opposition propose, in lieu ?

Other than stoking anti government , and foreigner feelings, and blaming the rulers, I didn't see much ...

And I will stop at that
i already said it - none. but that's not not the point. the point is: when you are on a collision course, you may want to brake and pull the wheel. oh wait! the car may spin out of control, or topple. so let's just forget it ... we have airbags ...

it's a question of education and character shaping: either you can do it or you can't. the vast majority of sg voters can't. that's why ... you know ... mncs, pmets, etcetc

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Re: General Election - Coming Soon - 11th September

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 8:43 am

PNGMK wrote: I think most expats will breath a sigh of relief at this result (although of course for selfish reasons only).
correct!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 9:35 am

For expats, I think things wont become better its just that they wont become worse either. Now some damage control has to be done for the economy. The SGD has to be allowed to slide, its overvalued currently and I think it was held up so that SIBOR doesn't soar. Now that elections are out of the way, we can expect some focus on growth. Some sharper fall in property prices. Also more govt spending on infra projects.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 9:50 am

Wd40 wrote:For expats, I think things wont become better its just that they wont become worse either. Now some damage control has to be done for the economy. The SGD has to be allowed to slide, its overvalued currently and I think it was held up so that SIBOR doesn't soar. Now that elections are out of the way, we can expect some focus on growth. Some sharper fall in property prices. Also more govt spending on infra projects.
wishful thinking. what's in store is tax increases and expense cuts. the oil is down. the apac market is down. china's pmi is < 50.

fall in property prices? no way. this is good for giving the locals the illusion they're rich. plus, don't forget that sg's economy is "service apartment". they need the rents. if the property prices go down, the companies will buy, and goodbye rents.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 9:57 am

Rates will rise, US is certain to raise rates, SG will follow and SGD falls when rates rise. property prices can't go up when rates are rising. All this while Hong Kong and Singapore were having free lunches with both low interest rates and rising currencies. Now the opposite is going to happen. Hong Kong will have to de peg from USD or it will experience severe deflation. Singapore, luckily has a more flexible exchange rate.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:11 am

I wouldn't expect any significant changes in the foreigners related policies/politics. Actually I think a lot of damage that was done in the recent few years will take years to be undone if possible at all. These include reenforcing further self confidence as of the quality of the local manpower (mid-high levels), where the quality of this manpower has not changed a iota.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:44 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:i already said it - none. but that's not not the point. the point is: when you are on a collision course, you may want to brake and pull the wheel. oh wait! the car may spin out of control, or topple. so let's just forget it ... we have airbags ...

it's a question of education and character shaping: either you can do it or you can't. the vast majority of sg voters can't. that's why ... you know ... mncs, pmets, etcetc
mncs, pmets, etcetc aren't voters and nor do they have vested longer term interest in Singapore or any society.

Crudely put, they are just in for economic benefits, not unlike mercenaries in a globalised world.
We need to recongnised the fact that the division between "them and us" will always be there, and certainly doesn't help when foreigner view locals as a less-capable being.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:55 am

x9200 wrote:I wouldn't expect any significant changes in the foreigners related policies/politics. Actually I think a lot of damage that was done in the recent few years will take years to be undone if possible at all. These include reenforcing further self confidence as of the quality of the local manpower (mid-high levels), where the quality of this manpower has not changed a iota.
Agree. In fact, locals largely see extensive "damages" had been when they compare to the yesteryear of 1980s/90s when their world is a little more predictable and settled.

Looking at the current immigration crisis and tension within Europe, it isn't hard to understand why any society, including the wealthy ones, will find itself on the edge very rapidly when population and immigration policies fail to take account of the rate of integration with the local populace.

Hence, it isn't unique here.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:09 am

TMD wrote:
mncs, pmets, etcetc aren't voters and nor do they have vested longer term interest in Singapore or any society.

Crudely put, they are just in for economic benefits, not unlike mercenaries in a globalised world.
We need to recongnised the fact that the division between "them and us" will always be there, and certainly doesn't help when foreigner view locals as a less-capable being.
you don't understand much of the world, do you? they don't vote, they contribute money :). or not. money is what makes the world spin. and clean the streets of sg ... and pay for pharaonic projects like the megatrees (for which the maids are extremely happy). sg doesn't make its own money, it takes a cut from the money it hosts. it's really simple.
with these elections, the locals have branded themselves, as i pointed out. no need to be branded by others.

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 11:14 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:you don't understand much of the world, do you? they don't vote, they contribute money :)
You know, your very first sentence prove exactly what I had already alluded to about that "them vs us" attitude. History has shown it doesn't lead any society or country to any good for the longer term.

Perhaps, it is with the hindsight of 2011 GE and last decade, the incumbent government is sitting up and paying more attention to the voters. What I gathered so far is the PAP is indeed responding.

Mr Tharman, the finance minister, himself was quoted: "A successful economy by itself will not give us an inclusive and fair society." Now this may sound like a election talk, but at least it seems he and his comrades understand both Singaporean and the nature of today's world.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 12:23 pm

Awesome Hindi songs being played loudly right now at my block void deck at a Malay wedding.

Just went down to look see. It's a live band and all Malay guys singing Hindi so well. Commendable!

I noticed Hindi songs very popular in Malay weddings. So atleast our songs are loved here :)

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 1:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:Awesome Hindi songs being played loudly right now at my block void deck at a Malay wedding. Just went down to look see. It's a live band and all Malay guys singing Hindi so well. Commendable!I noticed Hindi songs very popular in Malay weddings. So atleast our songs are loved here :)
Speaking of wedding, today marks the final day of the hungry ghost festival on the Chinese lunar calender. You can be sure there will be slew of wedding event in auspicious 8th month.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 4:41 pm

calugaruvaxile wrote:money is what makes the world spin. and clean the streets of sg ... and pay for pharaonic projects like the megatrees (for which the maids are extremely happy). sg doesn't make its own money, it takes a cut from the money it hosts. it's really simple.
^ +1, that's about the long a short of it.
And thanks for the lol too! 'Pharaonic projects' :lol:

Edit: spelling
Last edited by JR8 on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Sat, 12 Sep 2015 9:41 pm

TMD wrote:
You know, your very first sentence prove exactly what I had already alluded to about that "them vs us" attitude. History has shown it doesn't lead any society or country to any good for the longer term.

Perhaps, it is with the hindsight of 2011 GE and last decade, the incumbent government is sitting up and paying more attention to the voters. What I gathered so far is the PAP is indeed responding.

Mr Tharman, the finance minister, himself was quoted: "A successful economy by itself will not give us an inclusive and fair society." Now this may sound like a election talk, but at least it seems he and his comrades understand both Singaporean and the nature of today's world.
dude, you sound like an aparatchik from my youth. and you really don't understand. this is not about "us". believe it or not, i got out of sg with 100% of my cpf. you (if you're a local) won't. think about it.

what tharman said is that in his model of an economy, you're screwed. and you vote for him. you're so clever! and how does this quote that your beloved understands the world? you're just a propagandleiter.

still, you elude the main problem: singapore does not make its own money. it just take a cut of the business made on its territory. if you can't read this, let me know. i'll write it in larger, red and bold fonts. this means, you're as good as a hotel. good rates, friendly staff, nice amenities, i'll stay. any of the contrary, i won't. in the 80s to 2ks, sg attracted business like this. it had low rates, good amenities and friendly staff. a very good deal, compared to its neighbors. nowadays it's amenities are not really great (transportation sucks, believe me), the rates are high, and the staff is lazy, nosy and pricey. that's why companies flee, that's why your govt is spending billions in incentives (but it's not telling you).

your govt is promising you one thing, while promising the companies exactly the opposite. that's why the whole construction is falling apart. and you really think you know how the world works. HA HA HA. you don't even understand your town.

in any ways, i'm glad you used the right word to describe the pap: "the comrades". here we agree: you live in a communist country and you work a state-planned economy.