Singapore Expats

PR Application Rejected. Seeking advice.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Application Rejected. Seeking advice.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 6:56 am

kentlim, the reason the to Malaysian ladies got citizenship was primarily because they had at least diplomas, were probably ethnic Chinese and single which meant the odds of them marrying a Singaporean Chinese were pretty good and would have also probably given birth to Chinese Singaporean babies. Also, Malaysian Chinese also tend to assimilate very well with the local population, whereas the majority of people coming from the Sub-con tend to think they are better than the local population and tend to communalize with their own and don't even try to integrate with the local population at all. A little research of the archives of this board wouldn't hurt you at all. In fact, it would do you good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kentlim

Post by kentlim » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 7:00 am

indeed they are chinese malaysian ladies. 1 was a ex air stwerdness. 1 is a accounting for a company for few years. thank you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:17 am

I can see that you really consider Singapore your home and that you would like to have the certainty of making it permanent. Maybe you will succeed in the future with your additional education and a research job, in spite of the 'kiss of death' letter.

And, as a practical matter, the Singapore authorities have proven to be arbitrary and capricious when it comes to PR. If you've read the hundreds of posts in this forum, many of the decisions make no sense and often seem downright counter intuitive and unfair. It's almost as though there are deep divisions within the government itself as to which is the best way to jump, and that translates into conflicting rules and regulations that the immigration minions are suppose to follow. Either that, or the rules that they have allow too much individual leeway, or can be interpreted too many ways.

Since you are going to follow a research career, you should carefully consider options where people will actually appreciate who you are and what you do, and will grant you security in exchange. For example, do you know that many US universities will pay you to come do your PhD with them? With the right qualifications, and it sounds like you have them, they will literally fly you in, wine and dine you, and show you their facilities in the hopes you will say yes. They want your talent.

Singapore is a very small nation and it has a very difficult course to chart in order to remain viable. I don't know if they are currently making the right decisions for long term viability or not, but I do know that if their policies require that some people be sacrificed in order to implement a policy, they will do it without hesitation.

Think about a future elsewhere, then come visit.
stormmonarch wrote:Thank you all for taking your time and effort to reply me. Appreciate your gesture.
The rejection, especially in the "death sentence" way, was a great blow to me. I came from a poor family in a poor country, having not enough to eat and would have not been able to continue my education. It was a miracle for me to get a scholarship to study secondary school in Singapore, and subsequently JC and university. Throughout all the years, I was living solely on the allowance since my parents could not support me. At time like that, my Singaporean friends and teachers were the ones who lent me help, emotionally and financially. I get used to the life in Singapore. My friends are all Singaporeans and they consider me as part of them. Having worked many low end jobs, I have seen both the glamour and the ugliness of Singapore. Regardless, I love this land because it is where I was given hope, because I am indebted to every taxpayers who contribute to my scholarship and because it is "where I know I must be". No matter what other countries I travelled to, I always feel at home when I am in Singapore. Thus, I apply to be a PR because I want to be a citizen subsequently. I understand all my feeling, how I integrate into the society and my experience cannot be translated into the application.
I understand that you all have different views on the chances that I have for future application, considering the letter and the policies. I do not have enough knowledge in this matter to make a judgment, neither can I change things out of my control. I can only improve myself to make me look more favourable and hopefully a change in policy one day can grant me the PR status. I am going to take PhD next year and follow a research career. The journey ahead is tough, but I have fought my way throughout my life. So I guess the struggle will have to go on, until the day I can call Singapore "home".
Thanks for reading my post.

beard1
Regular
Regular

Post by beard1 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 5:12 pm

stormmonarch wrote:Dear all,
I am a Vietnamese and have stayed in Singapore for more than 10 years. I studied at local secondary school, NJC and NTU. My academic results are good, with 6A in A level, first class honour and many national awards.
I graduated in May 2014 and started working as an engineer under EP in August 2014. My basic salary is $3600. In March 2015, I applied for PR and last week, my application was rejected. I have not received the official letter yet.
Do you have any advice for me? I plan to become Singapore citizen since many years of staying in this country have fostered a bond between me and this land.
Many thanks for your help.
Hey buddy, we're in a very similar boat. Been here since secondary school too, local Uni, etc. etc.

Also looking to become a citizen one day; Singapore is my only true home and the only place I feel I belong! It really blows when the place you love so much snubs it's nose at you.

I know rejection sucks; I was turned down for the first time last year in September. It inspired me to work hard at my career. I moved up to a really good US company that the SG Govt seems to have taken a liking for, got a pretty decent pay increment and did a lot of those "innovations" they ask for in their application process. Reapplied for PR in March this year and now waiting for result.

Message to you is this; chin up and keep plugging away at it. Like people here have said, have a plan B but don't be afraid to reapply. Put your heart into really kicking ass at your career and reapply in a year or so. I've seen so many people that are in our situation that applied and got their PR anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months later (obviously all ethnically Chinese), while we get sidelined. However I take this as motivation to prove naysayers wrong and buck the trend.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 5:30 pm

^^^This!

In the words of Admiral David Farragut, during the US Civil War....

"Damn the Torpedos, full speed ahead!" :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers