Singapore Expats

Decent men's shoes

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Decent men's shoes

Post by sgstrait » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 12:32 pm

Any recommendations on where to buy quality mens shoes with quantities of Western sizes?

Looking for Church, Baker, Loakes or indeed any other Made in England shoes. Around UK size 11.

The quality of shoes in the standard malls is pretty awful. They seem to cater more to the boyband / ah beng look rather than the quintessentially well groomed gent.

Also, anyone tried ordering decent shoes online from UK or US? Any issues with import duties, GST, delivery etc?

Cheers

nakatago

Re: Decent men's shoes

Post by nakatago » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 1:59 pm

sgstrait wrote: Also, anyone tried ordering decent shoes online from UK or US? Any issues with import duties, GST, delivery etc?

Cheers
GST: 700 and below, you're good.

The problem is finding a retailer that would deliver to Singapore (because, distribution rights). If not, you'll have to use a third party/dropshipper/someone who travels between US or UK to Singapore. This presents a whole slew of problems a lot of people in Singapore are complaining about (re: slow/missed deliveries, manual consolidation of orders, charges too expensive, etc).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 2:04 pm

There was (is?) a Church's store in Ion. Haven't been there in a while so don't know if it's still there.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 2:54 pm

sgstrait wrote: Also, anyone tried ordering decent shoes online from UK or US? Any issues with import duties, GST, delivery etc?
No Duty, but you will get whacked for 7% GST, payable to the courier delivering, if required ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 3:52 pm

Church's is at MBS in Singapore.
They're 'headline expensive' but if you take care of them they do last a lifetime. The care is doubly important in the hot/humid tropics. None the less I have pairs I've had 25 years and my father ones he's had for 50. He still wears the ones he wore at his wedding 50+ years ago, although they're uncared for now and beaten to hell, so they're relegated for gardening duty :)
I suppose the thing is, if you're willing to take the time required to care for (polish, store, re-heal/sole etc as required), then the initial expense is recouped many times over - PLUS you have the bonus of elegant and super-comfortable shoes. But if you haven't that time or inclination, then the initial outlay might not be justified.
If you're going to be laying out that kind of money for the likes of Church's I'm not sure mail-order would work. It's best to visit a shop and get them properly fitted as they do ease/relax somewhat with a couple of months wear. You might consider them as almost living/breathing things hehe. Also if you're looking at a particular style it's useful to see how they feel. The likes of their fully welted heavy brogues can feel like walking around in a pair of army issue footwear, heavy duty!
The last few pairs I bought were in London (Jermyn Street?) during the Xmas sales. Significant reductions, maybe even half price... helps if your feet are not 'middle of the road' sizing. At UK 11, I always seemed to have a decent choice esp if I got to the shop on day 1 or 2 of the sales.

--Also the service from their own shops is A1. One time I have a pair of buckskin brogues in for re-soling. They somehow managed to accidentally damage (cut) the 'upper' and offered to outright replace them for me. On the face of it that sounds great as they were certainly 5 years old by then; but I recall initially being a little annoyed as the shoes had been in A1 condition and more to the point beautifully worn in after that time, that they had the comfort of a pair of slippers. In the event I took the replacement, and as it happens they were the shoes I wore at my wedding 10 years later :) (and still have, still in almost perfect condition).
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 5:29 pm

nakatago wrote:

Cheers
GST: 700 and below, you're good.

I think its $400 and below is free. I do a lot of online shopping.

As for shows, there is a bespoke cobbler at Orchard Gateway, around the corner from the Redwing store. Can't remember the name of the place, but if you google the Redwing store you're not far off. Have them made to fit in any style you like.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 6:14 pm

I can vouch for the $400 limit. Also, that's $400 SGD and includes the cost of shipping as well. I purchase a lot of stuff from eBay both in the US and in the UK (mostly in the US though).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 6:16 pm

Bugger, just ordered $500 worth of shoes from UK. So what's the process of paying the duty? Must I pay the courier?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 6:24 pm

It depends, but mostly yes. If you were to order from Amazon or eBay, they use the Global Shipping Program from Pitney-Bowes den of theives. You are charged up front for the customs/GST by Pitney-Bowes so that's taken care of without you getting involved and it's delivered just like any other parcel via courier company. Most courier companies will notify you of the costs and collect on delivery if the shipper didn't already bill you for it when you paid for your items.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 6:41 pm

Yeah, usually they ask for payment on delivery. 7% on the whole value, not just the amount above $400

sgstrait
Regular
Regular

Post by sgstrait » Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:45 am

OK so I ordered online from Herring Shoes in the UK on Monday, and now my lovely shoes are on my desk at Raffles Place today (Thursday). Amazing!

Yep they charged GST, but DHL also charged a GST "handling fee" of $20. All worth it though. I bought two pairs of high quality shoes for the price of a single pair here. And they arrived faster than a locally posted letter would arrive within Singapore.

For anyone interested the website is: www.herringshoes.co.uk

and they have a sale on.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 25 Jul 2015 10:08 am

Got mine from stores and online store sent from the UK.

They are not hard to find, best if you have a brand you like, mine just happens to be a UK one. Great quality and reasonable prices.

You really need to have tried them or else the chance of paying return shipping is high.

Tried very long and hard to find good ones here, most are plastic which I won't wear.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.