Singapore Expats Forum

Running Folk out of Town ....

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby Brah » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 8:27 pm

AndrewV wrote:It said "I am Ferking Special"

Thats what I understand from what I have read.

It actually had the full "F" word but this site filters swear words , which says it all when it comes to delinquents feeling the need to have a T-shirt with the word on it.

Barnsley wrote:sheesh and the dude took offence at that? :o
his "SPG" must have stood him up at dinner or something :evil:

I am not keen on having swear words on T-shirts myself , smacks of desperation , like I said I am pretty sure its an offence in the UK to have such.

+1 on t-shirts and on prime time TV as well

But that didn't warrant that level of buttheadry. Now if it was one of those people wearing a 3rd Reich swastika......
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby calugaruvaxile » Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:28 pm

x9200 wrote: apparently only brave enough to confront those who they think are physically weaker than them.


oh no!! no, no!! they only confront those economically weaker. in singapore you're not a person, you're just a bank account (or an income, if you like). and riding a bike (in sg mentality) means you're poor. the moment they see through the helmet they drop 50 m back ... this happened to me hundreds of times, as i was riding, too.

User avatar
American
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2015

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby American » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 1:10 am

Now we didn't catch if anything went down before the video, but still, I found the old man's behavior deplorable. Acting like that in public would get you knocked the **** out on the subway in any major US city. You can't go around picking fights with teenagers because they have the F word scrawled on their t-shirt. Quite frankly the old man was way too aggressive and out-of-line.

I also sensed an air of entitlement from the old guy - thinking he is within his rights to go around yelling at young kids like that. He could have handled himself much better - some stern, fatherly words of advice would have been much more socially acceptable. A meds dependency or not, his true colors came out.

In a way, I can see why there's the 'anti ang mo' backlash online however irrational it may be. From initial impressions, it's a natural reaction from non-caucasian locals- the 'ang mo' conqueror and master aggressively berating the subordinate local and putting him in his place. Now that type of 'White master-Local subordinate' mentality may very well not be the case, but I can somewhat see why locals are reacting.

A bit sad to see the sheepish looks and body language of all the other folks on the train completely ignoring the situation. At the very least someone could have told the old guy to pipe down in the interest of the public peace! For sure, this guy was disturbing the piece and that should at least be counted as an infraction and a fine. Pain and suffering from the young boy could be claimed as well.

I think the man sticking up for the kid, no matter how misguided, was well intended. Not the most eloquent person, but didn't catch anything xenophobic. At least someone had the balls to stand up to this guy!

Didn't listen closely enough but if there were racist cat calls after the fact, that's unacceptable.

Just a FAIL all around.

To Ang Mo's - if you're scared of locals and the government coming after you, just consider all the sensationalized PRC and Filipino anti-social behavior cases that have made national headlines as of late. I don't see any anti PRC or Filipino policies, nor any major cultural attitude shifts, because of these 1-off incidents.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby JR8 » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 8:47 am

American wrote:To Ang Mo's - if you're scared of locals and the government coming after you, just consider all the sensationalized PRC and Filipino anti-social behavior cases that have made national headlines as of late. I don't see any anti PRC or Filipino policies, nor any major cultural attitude shifts, because of these 1-off incidents.


So the 'ang mo's' are meant to just shut up; but does that include the ang mo taxpayers, PR's, citizens etc? How does tell one from the other?

How about someone who's mixed-race, are they obliged to fractionally butt-out of 'local-only matters'?

p.s. There was a pretty major back-lash re: sub-continentals, and laws changed as a result. It's all a sideshow, perhaps we should be discussing how the economy is doing instead.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby x9200 » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 9:46 am

calugaruvaxile wrote:
x9200 wrote: apparently only brave enough to confront those who they think are physically weaker than them.


oh no!! no, no!! they only confront those economically weaker. in singapore you're not a person, you're just a bank account (or an income, if you like). and riding a bike (in sg mentality) means you're poor. the moment they see through the helmet they drop 50 m back ... this happened to me hundreds of times, as i was riding, too.

No no. No. Based on this principle I was attempted to be ran over (pushed out of my lane), but confrontation is another part. Besides, this sub-topic started with my wife in a car.
Most of the time they are confronted in a car they adopt the gecko strategy: if I remain still in my car with my eyes looking somewhere else I will be invisible.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby x9200 » Fri, 17 Jul 2015 9:57 am

As of the uncle Angmoh, I think he might have had one of these bad days were simply something happened earlier, probably again, and he was already angry and irritated before anything started on that train. First thing coming not fitting well his personal world made him just explode. This is what it looks to me.

What somebody around should have done was to calmly tell him, listen man, yes, its not that nice to wear such shirts in public, but you know its a minor thing and you are steaming with anger. You told the boy already and he will remember, that's it, no reason to go any further.

User avatar
American
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2015

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby American » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 5:58 pm

JR8 wrote:So the 'ang mo's' are meant to just shut up; but does that include the ang mo taxpayers, PR's, citizens etc? How does tell one from the other?


I haven't been keeping up with the trolls on the other right-wing extremist portals, so not sure what the overall local sentiment is. Nor have I seen much on the local news about 'ang mo' complaints because of this incident.

I don't think ang mo's are supposed to shut up, at all! I just don't think there's any need to worry because of this isolated incident.

What's the story with the sub-continental and law change? If this was the riots leading to teh liquor ban, then I think that was huge in comparison to this stupid little MRT spat. However, I see your point whereby a new law could be passed that it is illegal to act in an aggressive way toward another in public and that could lead to fines or even jail time - ang mo or anyone else for that matter (local to local etc..)

User avatar
American
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2015

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby American » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 6:01 pm

American wrote:
JR8 wrote:So the 'ang mo's' are meant to just shut up; but does that include the ang mo taxpayers, PR's, citizens etc? How does tell one from the other?


I haven't been keeping up with the local forums, or seen much in the news, so not sure what the overall local sentiment is.

I don't think ang mo's are supposed to shut up, at all! I just don't think there's any need to worry because of this isolated incident. I don't think ang mo's are known for being 'aggressive' to the locals in public, quite the opposite, I find that most locals have this pre-conceived notion of ang mo's being 'gentlemanly'.

And whether or not this person was a Citizen, PR, EP holder, or a tourist, I still think he acted way out of line.

What's the story with the sub-continental and law change? If this was the riots leading to teh liquor ban, then I think that was huge in comparison to this stupid little MRT spat. However, I see your point whereby a new law could be passed that it is illegal to act in an aggressive threatening way toward another in public and that could lead to fines or even jail time - ang mo or anyone else for that matter (local to local etc..)

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9260
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 7:33 pm

x9200 wrote:What somebody around should have done was to calmly tell him, listen man, yes, its not that nice to wear such shirts in public, but you know its a minor thing and you are steaming with anger. You told the boy already and he will remember, that's it, no reason to go any further.


I may quietly disagree - what if he turns his anger on the person trying to calm him down ? And I may have told him to just wind it down, than telling the old guy calmly ..

If a guy behaves like a douchebag, it is the job of others to calm him down ? mmmm .. yes, agreed .. NOT

As for those who say Singapore is anti foreigner or whatever, try this in another Asian country, the fellow would have been bashed up beyond recognition - I know, Singapore is first world .. etc. etc.. so such behaviour is not expected in Singapore .. etc. etc.

I am now more convinced that the kid is at fault, for avoiding eye contact and avoiding escalating the problem :D :D He should have just stood up and thrown a few - no, can't do, as per SG Law, the one who throws the first punch goes for Serious hurt.

Adding fuel to the fire, a TNP reporter penned the following ..

If you put on a T-shirt calling for a reaction, you should expect one - though that's no excuse for the older man's behaviour.

Perhaps an apt punishment would be to parade the two on a train wearing T-shirts saying "I'm with Stupid".
- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/w ... SwmfK.dpuf

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby x9200 » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 7:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:What somebody around should have done was to calmly tell him, listen man, yes, its not that nice to wear such shirts in public, but you know its a minor thing and you are steaming with anger. You told the boy already and he will remember, that's it, no reason to go any further.


I may quietly disagree - what if he turns his anger on the person trying to calm him down ?

He would'n. 95% confidence. He didn't get more aggressive when he was confronted later by the other guy.

ecureilx wrote:If a guy behaves like a douchebag, it is the job of others to calm him down ? mmmm .. yes, agreed .. NOT

I would probably react. I think it is my job not to ignore some situations including, when somebody is not treated fair.

ecureilx wrote: am now more convinced that the kid is at fault, for avoiding eye contact and avoiding escalating the problem :D :D He should have just stood up and thrown a few - no, can't do, as per SG Law, the one who throws the first punch goes for Serious hurt.

Are you serious?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9260
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 9:22 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I may quietly disagree - what if he turns his anger on the person trying to calm him down ?

He would'n. 95% confidence. He didn't get more aggressive when he was confronted later by the other guy.


95% based on your guts, but .. that is not 100%, and .. not everybody can read body languages/analyse likewise that he would have kept his temper as it is, and on a what-if scenario, what if he turned the situation as if the whole world was against him, for being unjust ?? He felt he had every right to pick on a kid, for a T Shirt, and I am sure he did that for whatever reason when there are people who were even worse T Shirts/dresses ..

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:If a guy behaves like a douchebag, it is the job of others to calm him down ? mmmm .. yes, agreed .. NOT

I would probably react. I think it is my job not to ignore some situations including, when somebody is not treated fair.


So the Old man was not getting treated fair ? uh ho (I am trying to figure out why the world seems to be at fault for the old man's behaviour... I am not sure if I am on the wrong track, again. Remember the issue with Famous Amos ? A lot did feel the society is at fault for not helping and adjusting to the misfit, than the other way around)

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote: am now more convinced that the kid is at fault, for avoiding eye contact and avoiding escalating the problem :D :D He should have just stood up and thrown a few - no, can't do, as per SG Law, the one who throws the first punch goes for Serious hurt.

Are you serious?


of course, I was not serious .. but, well, what gives the right for somebody to throw tantrum at the kid but the kid is firmly expected to behave like a grown up and absorb it ? And true, if the kid had reacted, the blame would have been on him, and even when he was keeping his cool, the TNP reporter passed the blame to the kid.

What if the old fellow had got more angry when he wasn't getting the desired results he hoped for - maybe a return provocation ? or ..as some do, as maybe it was all a social experiment to see how people stand up to a case of road bully ? Just thinking aloud ..

Somehow I recall this joke :)

The little boy was in a bus eating a chocolate, then he took another one and then another ...
A man next to him said, "Do you know that too much of it will damage your teeth??"
The boy replied, "My grandfather lived for 132 years"
The man asked , "Was it because of eating chocolate?"
The boy replied, "No, he was always minding his own business!".

PS, saw another similar situation - along Orchard Road (nope, not the northern end.. but somewhere in the middle .. ) .. two Female Foreign Talents, dressed provocatively, with half their a** hanging out, and the rest of the body bulging out, probably covering lest than 20% of their body - and then suddenly one turned freaky and yelled at a fellow behind for supposedly staring at her bottoms ... the fellow just looked silly and said "oh, what am I supposed to do, cover my eyes to avoid seeing a pile of shit walking by ?? " or something like that .. and he quickly walked away ..

Those around were more than greatly entertained ..

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby x9200 » Sun, 19 Jul 2015 9:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I may quietly disagree - what if he turns his anger on the person trying to calm him down ?

He would'n. 95% confidence. He didn't get more aggressive when he was confronted later by the other guy.


95% based on your guts, but .. that is not 100%, and .. not everybody can read body languages/analyse likewise that he would have kept his temper as

Where do you see me saying that everybody should react?


it is, and on a what-if scenario, what if he turned the situation as if the whole world was against him, for being unjust ?? He felt he had every right to pick on a kid, for a T Shirt, and I am sure he did that for whatever reason when there are people who were even worse T Shirts/dresses ..

He definitely had every right to do it, but even in such cases from one point on enough is enough.


x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:If a guy behaves like a douchebag, it is the job of others to calm him down ? mmmm .. yes, agreed .. NOT

I would probably react. I think it is my job not to ignore some situations including, when somebody is not treated fair.


So the Old man was not getting treated fair ?

No. But I wouldn't call him a douchebag.


User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby JR8 » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 2:16 am

Why is there this apparent pre-occupation with what a 'child' or youth has written on his T-shirt? Was it illegal? If not so what? Won't the young behave like the young? Doesn't one expect them to be pushing boundaries, or must youths behave like fully mature adults?
What is the basis of this becoming a national 'headline story'?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby x9200 » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 4:31 am

For some it may be like farting or burping out loud during, for example, an opera performance. It is not illegal to do it I guess (whether it is or not is immaterial anyway) and If such person is a teenager, is it a good reason to ignore any such behavior?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Running Folk out of Town ....

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 20 Jul 2015 11:00 am

American wrote:I don't think ang mo's are supposed to shut up, at all! I just don't think there's any need to worry because of this isolated incident.


How long have you been here?

There has been loads of what I consider non-stories blown up by the local media where an Ang Moh has "offended" the sensibilities of a local person.

It usually involves transport , which adds to the humour of it all.
Life is short, paddle harder!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest