Singapore Expats Forum

An initial "insight" needed

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:11 pm

Hi all…..

probably the latest member to the forum, so be kind 

I am currently in talks with a company in region, hence seeking your opinion. If the talks move in the right direction probably will be posting a lot more questions for your advice.

So seeking a role in the region, which I initially interviewed for in London. however during the process it was thought from them that taking the role in Singapore will be much better as being the head office it will be beneficial.

So an initial number has been mooted from them. Which is around SGD 150K. My questions is whether this is a decent package (as a base salary alone).

I will be moving with a young daughter (she is 3) and my wife to the region. So we want to assess that is this a right sort of salary (obviously there will be other bonus / benefits etc). But I am seeking advice on this yearly package on base alone. In my mind I have more of a SGD 200K+ number, however I haven’t said this outright yet.

Any insight will be most sincerely appreciated at this critical juncture of making up our minds.

We will be doing a scouting trip shortly to the region as well if things go well.

regards ……

FOX711
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat, 20 Jun 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby FOX711 » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 10:56 pm

My package is 11K SGD per month before tax, plus 20% total salary bonus each year. I heard its already a good package, especially for me, as a single.



Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:29 pm

FOX711 wrote:My package is 11K SGD per month before tax, plus 20% total salary bonus each year. I heard its already a good package, especially for me, as a single.



Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk


what sort of job are you in? what sector? As a single I'd say it sounds great, but family wise 12.5K SGD, I dont think its wise, even if the income tax is low there compared to here in UK

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 6:59 am

I wouldn't pay too much heed to the naysayers. I don't know what you were on in the UK but that salary here puts you in the top 15% of earners here and therefore, as a single person, you are going to fare pretty well, truth be known. You can survive nicely on less than 8k/mo here without touching the rest at all, even after holidays throughout the regions say once a quarter. Now if you had a trailing spouse and school aged sprog, it would be a different story when you consider 20K/semester school fees at the International Schools. But that's a fair bit off I'd say.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 7:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wouldn't pay too much heed to the naysayers. I don't know what you were on in the UK but that salary here puts you in the top 15% of earners here and therefore, as a single person, you are going to fare pretty well, truth be known. You can survive nicely on less than 8k/mo here without touching the rest at all, even after holidays throughout the regions say once a quarter. Now if you had a trailing spouse and school aged sprog, it would be a different story when you consider 20K/semester school fees at the International Schools. But that's a fair bit off I'd say.


SMS... OP is moving with wife and non school age daughter. Most expensive international high school about $29K per year... others a lot less.

OP... you can live fine on the money... but if you have a $200k figure in mind, why are you asking us?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 9:20 am

Oops! I didn't back up the thread far enough! My mistake. In my morning before the first cup of tea stupor, I took Fox711's post as the OP. My bad! :-(

FOX711
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat, 20 Jun 2015

Re: RE: Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby FOX711 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 11:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wouldn't pay too much heed to the naysayers. I don't know what you were on in the UK but that salary here puts you in the top 15% of earners here and therefore, as a single person, you are going to fare pretty well, truth be known. You can survive nicely on less than 8k/mo here without touching the rest at all, even after holidays throughout the regions say once a quarter. Now if you had a trailing spouse and school aged sprog, it would be a different story when you consider 20K/semester school fees at the International Schools. But that's a fair bit off I'd say.

UNLESS, ur wife/husband is working in the school, and education fees will be free! haha

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 2:53 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wouldn't pay too much heed to the naysayers. I don't know what you were on in the UK but that salary here puts you in the top 15% of earners here and therefore, as a single person, you are going to fare pretty well, truth be known. You can survive nicely on less than 8k/mo here without touching the rest at all, even after holidays throughout the regions say once a quarter. Now if you had a trailing spouse and school aged sprog, it would be a different story when you consider 20K/semester school fees at the International Schools. But that's a fair bit off I'd say.


SMS... OP is moving with wife and non school age daughter. Most expensive international high school about $29K per year... others a lot less.

OP... you can live fine on the money... but if you have a $200k figure in mind, why are you asking us?


thanks chaps for the insight. For UK I am doing pretty decent on the salary front. However life demands change and I am looking to broaden horizons. Hence the reason of looking eastwards. I know there is a huge tax "equation" to do regarding the difference between UK and Singapore. However with a wife and child in tow .... I would rather want a decent living out there. Hence the number of 200 that's in my mind.

FOX711
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat, 20 Jun 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby FOX711 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 3:27 pm

What does your wife do? full time house wife?

I think the issue with "family", is the education fee.
There are two options:
1. Your wife can find a job in an International School, and your kid will go to the school for free(well, almost free).+extra income from your wife.
2.Your wife can do home tuition, thus save the school fees, I don't the necessarily to a three years old girl into buildings to learn rules and boundaries...

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 3:34 pm

FOX711 wrote:What does your wife do? full time house wife?

I think the issue with "family", is the education fee.
There are two options:
1. Your wife can find a job in an International School, and your kid will go to the school for free(well, almost free).+extra income from your wife.
2.Your wife can do home tuition, thus save the school fees, I don't the necessarily to a three years old girl into buildings to learn rules and boundaries...


My wife, well she needs some convincing. She is doing quite alright in her career here in London, hence the scouting trip to Singapore is going to be full on to convince here. She works in an investment bank (same as me). So hopefully will be coming out very shortly (next 2-4 weeks), depending on our initial thoughts and if talks move in the right direction.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby bgd » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 3:56 pm

Good luck convincing the wife then. The trailing spouse often bears the brunt of such a move and the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Don't assume she will be able to work, if that is your intention. Sg isn't the easiest of places for a foreigner to get work and investment banking isn't exactly booming in the region, or anywhere for that matter.

On the plus side, Sg is a nice place to live. Safe, good infrastructure, a nice climate (if you like the heat) and a great base to travel the region. A good place to start in Asia.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 3:59 pm

The 'how much is enough [or equiv. to back home]?' question is a tricky one, as your current income/outgoings/lifestyle are not known. Or at least not known with enough granularity to give particularly useful answers.

Have a look over the various sub-topics, and amongst the sticky/FAQ posts at the top of each one. There is one titled 'Where should I/we live?'. IIRC it's in the Moving to/Living in, area.

Either way (I can't search for the links now), there is one topic re: deciding what area might suit you, and what type and size of place you rent. Once you've an idea of that, then that can indicate a range for rent, likely your largest single outgoing.

Then there is another topic, IIRC something along the lines of 'How much is enough?'. That takes in where you want to live, whether you'll want a car (2nd biggest outgoing, or maybe children in school is...). Then you can bring together all of that, plus dining out, holidays, booze and other 'vices', fine-dining, and the rest, taxes etc., and work bottom upwards to see what local deal would provide something similar to what you have right now at home. Then you might add for inconvenience/risk of moving here, vs career opportunity.

It's bottom-up, and quite a bit of triangulation, but hopefully an enlightening process, with useful output.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:11 pm

bgd wrote:Good luck convincing the wife then. The trailing spouse often bears the brunt of such a move and the novelty wears off pretty quickly. Don't assume she will be able to work, if that is your intention. Sg isn't the easiest of places for a foreigner to get work and investment banking isn't exactly booming in the region, or anywhere for that matter.

On the plus side, Sg is a nice place to live. Safe, good infrastructure, a nice climate (if you like the heat) and a great base to travel the region. A good place to start in Asia.


Well whether she will be able to work or not is another topic (to be opened once I sort myself out). But having said that, the area of IB we both are is booming (cant be too explicitly precise at the forums... haha), so I am cautiously optimistic about her own career prospects. However we have a clear sight on thinking that to start off with "ONE" salary i.e. mine should be enough so as to manage a good life with decent standard of living.

@JR8 - I completely resonate on your point. One can be only that precise here on the forums when making a sweeping statement such as "lifestyle". Everyone have their own definition of one. One thing I will for sure miss or atleast initially is a "car". Looking around I have seen it is one of the true luxuries in Singapore (currently I have an E-Class AMG, and to let her go is probably even worse then letting go of London).

But we are taking one step at a time and assessing the whole picture i.e. myself, her and our daughter. One perks of my job if I get it there is travelling to APAC region, so at times I can tow the two of them around and introduce them to wonderful regions around.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby JR8 » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:42 pm

Yr thoughts/point 1, in reply to BGD is a wise way to go. Assume no work initially for the non-working spouse; to decide what you need to earn, then if he/she is able to get it together then it's a real double bonus... mind you life as a 'trailing spouse' isn't thaaat bad hehe ;)
Ooh-arrh nice car, yeah some things you have to temporarily let go off, but the other things - as you suggest the great travel opportunities - present themselves instead. Some of the places you can get to from here, that realistically you're never likely to during your working career from back in the West, i.e. places that are really remote are amazing*... the car, garden, and so on are in this temporarily dispensable category, but they can be re-acquired as and when you return home.

*We're just back from our 2nd visit to Malapascua Island in the Philippines... Then there are so many other options, several we did, a couple we still hope to one day :) But this is one for the Travel topics...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

soulsearching
Regular
Regular
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue, 14 Jul 2015

Re: An initial "insight" needed

Postby soulsearching » Wed, 15 Jul 2015 4:48 pm

JR8 wrote:Yr thoughts/point 1, in reply to BGD is a wise way to go. Assume no work initially for the non-working spouse; to decide what you need to earn, then if he/she is able to get it together then it's a real double bonus... mind you life as a 'trailing spouse' isn't thaaat bad hehe ;)
Ooh-arrh nice car, yeah some things you have to temporarily let go off, but the other things - as you suggest the great travel opportunities - present themselves instead. Some of the places you can get to from here, that realistically you're never likely to during your working career from back in the West, i.e. places that are really remote are amazing*... the car, garden, and so on are in this temporarily dispensable category, but they can be re-acquired as and when you return home.

*We're just back from our 2nd visit to Malapascua Island in the Philippines... Then there are so many other options, several we did, a couple we still hope to one day :) But this is one for the Travel topics...



tell me about it! Seriously, and I only got it like 7 months back, but oh well, to gain something bigger one has to loose something else ... so I shall brood a bit but then carry on.

Over 14K posts ... wow you have been a real long timer here. :mrgreen:

Lets hope things move pleasently .. am suppose to hear an update today. currently I work as a global director but with a mainly european focus in my IB, so travel a fair bit around. However the chance to do the same in Asia, is truly something all "3" of us are looking forward to.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • initial information needed
    by xmj » Tue, 25 Nov 2014 5:47 am » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
    23
    3248
    by xmj View the latest post
    Sun, 30 Nov 2014 5:52 pm
  • Give me insight of SG PR
    by erix.halim » Sat, 03 Jun 2017 1:15 am » in PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners
    3
    1279
    by jamie9vardy View the latest post
    Sat, 03 Jun 2017 12:29 pm
  • Initial notes as an expat living in SG
    by SINexpat » Sat, 25 Jan 2014 1:09 pm » in General Discussions
    20
    5642
    by stuckmojo View the latest post
    Tue, 28 Jan 2014 10:14 am
  • Existentialist needed for school talk
    by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:49 am » in General Discussions
    1
    1437
    by Strong Eagle View the latest post
    Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:46 pm
  • Thai teacher needed
    by Mutisso » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 5:31 pm » in Language Exchange
    2
    1559
    by bangornm View the latest post
    Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:32 pm

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests