Singapore Expats

PR success rate

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
localspouseDoc

PR success rate

Post by localspouseDoc » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:16 am

Hi guys im new to this forum. A basic profile.

Spouse: Singapore citizen working in govt industry(HDB).. salary $3k
myself
on ltvp working under EP..earning $4k
currently working for 1 month..applying for PR in Jan 2016.
we got married in jan 2015.
ethnicity: indians
my profession: doctor however im preparing for the license examination b4 i can practice.
what are the chances of approval when we apply in jan 2016?

any views?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: PR success rate

Post by bro75 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:43 am

I cannot put a figure in your chances now but if you apply after being married for a while (3 years) or if you have Singaporean children, then your chances will be much higher. The government wants to ensure that your marriage is not that of convenience.

localspouseDoc

Post by localspouseDoc » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:26 am

bro75 wrote:I cannot put a figure in your chances now but if you apply after being married for a while (3 years) or if you have Singaporean children, then your chances will be much higher. The government wants to ensure that your marriage is not that of convenience.
thanks for your reply..yes that is what many have advised to us...but we just worry abt the age issue. bcoz i have heard age plays a huge factor in PR. not sure if its true.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:57 am

ethnicity more than age, education more than age, length of marriage more than age. Unless you are over the age of say 45. Then age will come into play. But male foreigners who marry local girls have a much harder time gaining PR than the reverse because the traditional thought processes in this patriarchal society is the the wife will follow the husband and not the reverse, therefore no need to give the foreign husband PR. Frankly, I think that line of thinking is crap but it's a known fact that ICA looks hard a 3rd world males marrying Singaporean women as it is looked at as a side door to residency here. Good luck. I think it's way, way early and if I was an ICA officer I'd have to ask myself "why is this chap in such a all-fired hurry to get PR when he is a newly wed and doesn't even know what pass he is on as he says he's on an ltvp AND an EP (you cannot be on both)". I'd reject based on the fact that you have not yet gotten you license to practice here and you might find it difficult to do so. So until that happens, I'd look at it as a work in process, knowing that if you don't get your license, you will probably move on to another country to try to get work as a doctor. Wait is my advice.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

localspouseDoc

Post by localspouseDoc » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 9:20 am

thanks sundaymorningstaple for that advice.

i was on ltvp then i got the Letter of Consent and switched to EP. sorry abt the confusion.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: PR success rate

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:59 pm

localspouseDoc wrote:Hi guys im new to this forum. A basic profile.

myself
my profession: doctor however im preparing for the license examination b4 i can practice.

any views?
Which uni did you graduate from ? Just curious ...

localspouseDoc

Re: RE: PR success rate

Post by localspouseDoc » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 1:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:
localspouseDoc wrote:Hi guys im new to this forum. A basic profile.

myself

any views?
Which uni did you graduate from ? Just curious ...
NTU..2nd upper honours

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jul 2015 3:10 pm

Well, with the added information, it changes my outlook somewhat. I'd still say wait for the proscribed 2 years, but I feel your chances are much better if you did your degree at NTU. In your OP you didn't mention that you did a local degree, so I assumed you did your degree in India and most who do medical degrees in India have an extremely hard time gaining certification to practice in Singapore. So I don't think you will have any problems IF you wait at least two years. If you insist, I'd still wait until your Certification is in your hands. Going into exams with a rejection letter in hand isn't conducive to concentration in the exam.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers