Singapore Expats

Pedestrian right of way?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
American
Regular
Regular

Re: Pedestrian right of way?

Post by American » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:25 pm

Comparing to the US, I agree that SG drivers are not nearly as aggressive. As pointed out, it's mostly cluelessness and utter lack of regard of surroundings, and of course being in a rush and always wanting to be 1st (kiasu). I've come to the conclusion to just be extra cautious I'm anywhere near an unprotected crossing, will ALWAYS let cars have the right of way, and will never cross until I am 100% certain there are no cars approaching. I'll never trust any stop signs. As someone with small children, it's important to just be as safe and cautious as possible. Bottom line - cars have the right of way in Singapore and we must live by this fact!

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 1:59 am

I'm going to have to start a DEFENSIVE WALKING course to ensure survival here in the SG Concrete Kiasu Jungle!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 3:57 am

Photos are permanent records and can be stored and it may end up getting people quite defensive / aggressive.

In China, Finnish uncle helps pedestrian cross the street. This happens in Fujian province, where many Singaporean Chinese ancestry hail from, including myself :oops: . Also, if one is really interested, you don't need to be a taichi practioner. Can easily pick up a few easy-to-learn posses on Youtube.

Time to have our own (American?) uncle in SG?

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news22790.html

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 7:17 am

Hmm....

Which is more dangerous, a known psychopath or an unpredictable and unintentional evil?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 8:02 am

@american I understand pedestrian right of way but the question is do you value your right of way or a risk breaking a few bones and put out of commission for a few months? I'd say the best sense is common sense. I walk if there is no oncoming traffic.
I've also observed cars not waiting for people to finish crossing the zebra line when the light is green. I almost got mowed down once while I was attempting to cross the second part of the crossing.
Its still not as bad as say India lol so yeh different people different perspectives, I'd say these guys are saints compared to what the morons back home are capable of.
The other day some dude bit a guy in the chest in a case of rabid road rage in Bangalore lol. You wont see that happening here.
The road etiquette is annoying but not that bad lah.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 8:51 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:@american I understand pedestrian right of way but the question is do you value your right of way or a risk breaking a few bones and put out of commission for a few months? I'd say the best sense is common sense. I walk if there is no oncoming traffic.
I think the point that American is trying to make, and one with which I agree, is "does the other person in the cage value my right of way"? Does the other person give a shit?

Yes, common sense dictates that we generally assume that anyone behind the wheel is an asshole and take appropriate protective measures. But, that's not the point.

The point is this: We do not live as independent individuals, we live in a shared society. Our shared society only works when we agree to norms of behavior that enables us, as individuals, to mingle together safely, and with minimal disruption to others.

Take our traffics signals for example. If 40 percent of the people said, "F*ck it, I don't care if a car is coming, I'm going through a red light," then we'd have a shared breakdown. It's not actually any different when the asshole in the automobile says, the same thing... "F*ck you pedestrian, I'm bigger than you, bugger off!".

What American is complaining/lamenting about is the lack of a neighborly, connected behavior amongst strangers... and you're right... India is a prime example of how strangers don't give a shit about one another in a competitive world.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:04 am

@SE I concur with your viewpoints as well, however was just trying to offer a word of caution to American.
on a related note, this is an interesting book that was written about the behaviour of Indians however I think it can apply to several Singaporean situations as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Indians-Pla ... 0143063111

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:37 am

in some other countries drivers do look out for pedestrians and even slow down if they have to
but not in sg drivers paid for COE so its like they own the road :roll:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:09 am

menudown wrote:in some other countries drivers do look out for pedestrians and even slow down if they have to
but not in sg drivers paid for COE so its like they own the road :roll:
Its s "Certificate of Entitlement" , so why not , you have a black and white to prove it =D> =D> =D> =D>
Life is short, paddle harder!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:23 am

Lmfao

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:31 am

Fortunately most of them don't have IAP (Inconvenience Avoidance Pass) so they rather avoid hitting pedestrians (and vehicles) as this always means some waste of their time and money.

American
Regular
Regular

Post by American » Mon, 13 Jul 2015 7:05 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Photos are permanent records and can be stored and it may end up getting people quite defensive / aggressive.

In China, Finnish uncle helps pedestrian cross the street. This happens in Fujian province, where many Singaporean Chinese ancestry hail from, including myself :oops: . Also, if one is really interested, you don't need to be a taichi practioner. Can easily pick up a few easy-to-learn posses on Youtube.

Time to have our own (American?) uncle in SG?

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/news22790.html
Ha! Not a chance now. Maybe if I end up retiring here I can be like the crossing guard grandpas with the orange vest and hold up the big stop sign to make sure little children and old folks can cross safely during rush hour.