Singapore Expats

Very bad experience purchasing a second-hand lemon car

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
DYTW

Re: Very bad experience purchasing a second-hand lemon car

Post by DYTW » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 9:36 pm

nutnut wrote:I bought a car from a company called expat cars (or something like that) and they sold me a lemon before the lemon law was out and treated me like absolute sh1t! I'd avoid expat only companies all together frankly, overpriced snake oil salesmen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are referring to Expat Car Services, they used to be good when they first started out but that was way back in 2009 and I have no idea what they are like now although their website gave a pretty good indication. It looked very dated and in serious need of a major revamp. :-k

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 11 Dec 2015 11:24 pm

That may well have been them, to be honest, the local company we bought from before them was excellent. No need for expat companies IMO
nutnut

lucassmith
Regular
Regular

Post by lucassmith » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 4:17 pm

josht wrote:sorry for the late update. Managed to file a claim at small claims tribunal for damages under the Lemon Law's consumers protection act.

Claimed a substantial amount as a discounted sale price for the repair cost and lost of use of vehicle. My car is with another trustworthy workshop, KATC undergoing the gearbox repairs...

@madday5, the car is a Opel Astra 1.8 Twintop..

so you managed to claim? congrats!
+1 for consumers -1 for shady car dealers :cool:

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 05 Jan 2016 1:42 pm

as i've owned cars with transmission similar to the opel MTA...

never owned an opel, but selespeed (alfa), duologic (fiat) and a few other (top) italian and german marques all work more or less the same way.

love it when it works. hate it when it doesn't. but these boxes have been around so long (and continue to be in use) they don't just fail out of the blue.

a careful owner will know before it fails because the car will typically tell you it's time for preventive maintenance or a service. if not by the display, then by the way the gearbox sounds during operation..

and don't send it in to the cheapest place for a botch repair!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

golfboy

Post by golfboy » Mon, 26 Dec 2016 11:01 am

actually, that is the challenge in Singapore for purchasing a 2nd hand car. How do you know the car is OK? One thing we can do is to request dealer to sent to STA Inspection http://www.stai.com.sg/service2.php to check through your 2nd hand car before purchasing. I think there is inspection fees need to pay.

BeJa222

Post by BeJa222 » Fri, 21 Apr 2017 8:34 am

josht wrote:well he laughed when I mentioned I was covered under the lemon law for defects within a 6 month period...

He said "go ahead and sue me! I've been in business for a very long and I've handled many complaints like this..."

I've taken ownership of the car for about 8 weeks, of which one third of the time the car is in the workshop!! :(
what an ass! go sue, make him learn his lesson!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 11:28 pm

BeJa222 wrote:
josht wrote:well he laughed when I mentioned I was covered under the lemon law for defects within a 6 month period...

He said "go ahead and sue me! I've been in business for a very long and I've handled many complaints like this..."

I've taken ownership of the car for about 8 weeks, of which one third of the time the car is in the workshop!! :(
what an ass! go sue, make him learn his lesson!!
You should have read the whole thread. You wouldn't look so foolish with this post.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Rav4E

Post by Rav4E » Wed, 06 Jun 2018 12:53 am

Avoid In Carz at Commonwealth Lane at all cost. Odometer tampered, refused warranty, many court cases filed against them.

princessb

Post by princessb » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 5:40 pm

Yes, I also encounter the problem. Bought a 2nd hand car at bukit batok WEGA building and 3 days later my car engine cannot start and called them and they say is wear and tear and just leave the repair cost of S$2300 as I needs to overhaul the whole unit and replace dun no what valves? so angry? anyone know how can I claim the repair cost or what can I do?

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 23 May 2021 5:07 pm

For cars and many other products, do buy from more reputable dealers. Google their business and check their reviews before buying. The reviews would be a good indication of their reputation.

I almost bought my sofa from a shop with very bad reviews on google, thankful I did a check before I decided on getting one from them. In the end, I got it from a reputable shop..saved me a lot of trouble.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Sun, 23 May 2021 5:12 pm

xeoto wrote:
Sun, 23 May 2021 5:00 pm
well he laughed when I mentioned I was covered under the lemon law for defects within a 6 month period...

That's the most awful kind of words one can hear ... no service recovery nothing at all, yet they can say such things. Have you tried consulted CASE about this?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Sun, 23 May 2021 10:19 pm

abbby wrote:
Sun, 23 May 2021 5:07 pm
For cars and many other products, do buy from more reputable dealers. Google their business and check their reviews before buying. The reviews would be a good indication of their reputation.

I almost bought my sofa from a shop with very bad reviews on google, thankful I did a check before I decided on getting one from them. In the end, I got it from a reputable shop..saved me a lot of trouble.
I don’t understand how anyone could buy such a big ticket item without researching thoroughly. With everything on the internet nowadays, online reviews can tell you a lot about a business. I always make it a point to look up the reviews of a business before visiting, whether its a restaurant, a retailer, or a service provider.

koling5478

Post by koling5478 » Sun, 17 Oct 2021 5:09 pm

sorry for the late update. Managed to file a claim at small claims tribunal for damages under the Lemon Law's consumers protection act.
bad reputation in Singapore [url][url][url]ECU tester[/url][/url][/url] that you hardly see any Opel on the roads anymore. They are notorious for their gearbox issues