Singapore Expats Forum

Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
RedRidingHood
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu, 02 Jul 2015

Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby RedRidingHood » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 1:47 pm

We have a domestic helper who has every Sunday off. I did not keep her passport (despite others telling me I should) and the other day I asked for it as our landlord wanted a copy of it. This is when I realised that in the one year she has worked for us, she was in JB (Malaysia) and Batam 3 times in total.

We have no problem about our helper enjoying her day off but just asking if I should be worried about her going overseas on her day off? I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication? I did buy insurance for her that also covers Malaysia.

Is it common for FDWs to go overseas on their day off? I reckon they must be in JB for the cheap food/stuff etc?

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby martincymru » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:01 pm

What's her nationality?
She may be "working" on her day off. That may ne a bigger problem.
I think it's illegal to keep her passport.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby nakatago » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:02 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:We have a domestic helper who has every Sunday off. I did not keep her passport (despite others telling me I should) and the other day I asked for it as our landlord wanted a copy of it. This is when I realised that in the one year she has worked for us, she was in JB (Malaysia) and Batam 3 times in total.

We have no problem about our helper enjoying her day off but just asking if I should be worried about her going overseas on her day off? I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication? I did buy insurance for her that also covers Malaysia.

Is it common for FDWs to go overseas on their day off? I reckon they must be in JB for the cheap food/stuff etc?


Going to JB is the equivalent of going to the next city and going to the Batam is the equivalent of going to the beach. Or going to the next suburb/country/province/state/town. Yes, Singapore is that small.

Nothing illegal to worry about but if you're that worried, just ask her to inform you if she's going to another country for insurance reasons, peace of mind or whatever.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby nakatago » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:03 pm

martincymru wrote:What's her nationality?
She may be "working" on her day off. That may ne a bigger problem.
I think it's illegal to keep her passport.



JB's known to be a cheaper place to go shopping and Batam's basically Singapore's resort town. I'll give the maid the benefit of the doubt but nothing like a candid, mature talk between adults won't sort out.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby menudown » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:27 pm

should be fine as long as she does not fail to return back within the off day

RedRidingHood
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu, 02 Jul 2015

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby RedRidingHood » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for the reassurance! I do trust her very much; just making sure I have not overlooked any MOM rules I am not aware of.

I don't think she's moonlighting cos she was out of Singapore only 3 times. But if anything, yes I would prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby x9200 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:55 pm

If you have no other warning signs, then I would not wary too much.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby bgd » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 2:59 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication?


You won't find anything, FDWs can travel with their pass. The fact that she has already done so also tells you that.

If she isn't shopping in JB then she probably has friends there. When maids are between contracts they are often sent to JB rather than going back home. I've known a few who have done just that and they have had friends from Sg visit. JB is a nice day out.

Foreign countries, so travel insurance of some form makes sense.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 6:32 am

bgd wrote:
RedRidingHood wrote:I could not find anything on MOM website that states that FDWs could not go overseas on their day off but is there any legal implication?


You won't find anything, FDWs can travel with their pass. The fact that she has already done so also tells you that.

If she isn't shopping in JB then she probably has friends there. When maids are between contracts they are often sent to JB rather than going back home. I've known a few who have done just that and they have had friends from Sg visit. JB is a nice day out.

Foreign countries, so travel insurance of some form makes sense.


Moreover, if something were against some policy, she would not made it through immigration in the first place. And her not finding telling you she went to JB/Batam noteworthy is another assurance that it's a non-issue.

RedRidingHood
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu, 02 Jul 2015

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby RedRidingHood » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 9:49 am

Haha, I think I have read too much of the other forums giving advice on how to handle FDWs. Legal implication aside, I think another concern is her safety and well-being in another country. I believe if anything happens to her when she's out and about in another country, I'm legally responsible for making sure she comes back in one piece. That of course is something I'm responsible anyway even when she's in Singapore. But it gets a bit more tricky when it's dealing with overseas authorities.

I will tell her to inform me when she's overseas, simply for her own safety. Especially when she does not have auto-roaming!

Thanks for the replies btw.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby x9200 » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:14 am

Having her insured for such trips would be also a good idea.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 10:52 am

RedRidingHood wrote:. Especially when she does not have auto-roaming.


This can actually be a major factor. Although Starhub used to have that on.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 3:19 pm

RedRidingHood wrote:. That of course is something I'm responsible anyway even when she's in Singapore..


Should she have an accident or anything, it's your responsibility ...

Ask her nicely who she is going with or why.

Beyond belief some do have relatives working on the other side of the border and have valid and good reason but makes you wonder if she can afford forays overseas.

Now if she flies off to different places on off days, tell her to get her benefactor to employ her ;) and relieve you of the headache ..

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Beyond belief some do have relatives working on the other side of the border and have valid and good reason but makes you wonder if she can afford forays overseas.


Isn't JB $3 on the bus from Kranji?

#-o #-o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Re: Domestic Helper going overseas on day off

Postby menudown » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:25 pm

maybe she prefer to spend time overseas to enjoy and take advantage of the exchange rate :mrgreen:
but cross finger.. if should anything bad happen while she's overseas .. you will have a bigger problem


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Domestic Helper & Babysitter Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests