Singapore Expats

Chances of getting SG Citizenship?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
meeeeeeel

Chances of getting SG Citizenship?

Post by meeeeeeel » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:47 pm

Hi all,

Just wanted to get your opinion on my chances of obtaining SG citizenship.

Rejected once in 2013, and applied again this year in April 2015.

I'm Indonesian-Chinese female SG PR who was born in Indo, but my family all moved to SG 6 months after I was born, and we have lived here ever since (all of the five kids went through education system in sg, and my parents have a business based in sg). Parents stayed as SG PR though, and two out of five of my siblings are SG citizens now, and two SG PR like me.

I'm 24 years old now, and was in the states from 2008-2012 for university, and came back to sg in 2012 to work full-time. Was working for 1 year 4 mths in a digital marketing company where my salary was $3000, later left that job and wasn't working for 6 mths, until i joined a startup for another 1 year 8 mths where i was paid much lower at $2000.

Anyways, I have now left that job too, but while my application is being processed-- not sure if this will affect my application status? Does this mean i should apply for another job to be safe?

On a separate note, what if i decide to be self-employed and start my own business? If rejected for citizenship, I was thinking to renew my REP for my PR status, but not sure if i need to be employed full-time necessarily, or if I can be self-employed?

Also does salary/industry play a big part in determining my SG citizenship application?

I should also note that I committed a minor offense back in 2013, but wasn't convicted, just given a warning. I regret my stupid action, but I dont think it affects my application since I wasnt convicted, unless I'm wrong to think so?

ayap1969

Re: Chances of getting SG Citizenship?

Post by ayap1969 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 6:12 am

Mel, you need to be working and show your economic value if you are renewing your PR. Try get a higher salary... $2000 is a work permit - s pass category... not a good place to be in for PR...To citizenship application.
Show your family ties, get married will increase your chances of citizenship. In case you need to appeal, get several Singaporean friends to sign support or give you references for your Singapore citizenship.
If you have a boyfriend... get married or ROM

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

meeeeeeel

Post by meeeeeeel » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 7:10 am

ayap1969 wrote:Mel, you need to be working and show your economic value if you are renewing your PR. Try get a higher salary... $2000 is a work permit - s pass category... not a good place to be in for PR...To citizenship application.
Show your family ties, get married will increase your chances of citizenship. In case you need to appeal, get several Singaporean friends to sign support or give you references for your Singapore citizenship.
If you have a boyfriend... get married or ROM

What if im self employed? Still hurts my chance?

Also we can get friends' support during appeal??

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 7:26 am

The real question is: What has changed between 2013 when you were first rejected and now? I don't see it.

a) You are making even less than when you were rejected. And your work record isn't good. Took 6 months to find a lower paying job... that's how it looks, right or wrong. Now, you've left your low paying job as well.

b) As for your startup... do you have anything that resembles a business plan? A marketing plan? Pro forma statements that show your growth and path to profitability? I think not.

If I was that ICA officer, sitting in my cubicle, looking at your application, I'd say, "What the hell?!! She did a Uni degree in the US and can only score a $3,000 per month job? What the hell is that about?

Then, can't even keep that job, takes six months with a US Uni degree to find a job that pays even less? Is she difficult to work with?

And now, you've left that job and you have no visible means of support. You think you want to start your own business... the last refuge of someone who can't find employment.

Were it I, I'd ink up the big ole "REJECTED" stamp with red ink and whack your application. You're just not showing the kinds of traits that the gahmen wants.

You have a US college education but instead of finding a firm and growing with it, you job hop for less and less salary.

I hate to sound harsh but all the friends recommendations in the world won't make any difference.

Forget about citizenship. Get a job that pays MORE than what you made last time and get your REP renewed. Start building a responsible career... then about 3 years from now try for citizenship.

ayap1969

Post by ayap1969 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 8:48 am

Harsh but surely true.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 9:55 am

Strong Eagle wrote:The real question is: What has changed between 2013 when you were first rejected and now? I don't see it.

a) You are making even less than when you were rejected. And your work record isn't good. Took 6 months to find a lower paying job... that's how it looks, right or wrong. Now, you've left your low paying job as well.

b) As for your startup... do you have anything that resembles a business plan? A marketing plan? Pro forma statements that show your growth and path to profitability? I think not.

If I was that ICA officer, sitting in my cubicle, looking at your application, I'd say, "What the hell?!! She did a Uni degree in the US and can only score a $3,000 per month job? What the hell is that about?

Then, can't even keep that job, takes six months with a US Uni degree to find a job that pays even less? Is she difficult to work with?

And now, you've left that job and you have no visible means of support. You think you want to start your own business... the last refuge of someone who can't find employment.

Were it I, I'd ink up the big ole "REJECTED" stamp with red ink and whack your application. You're just not showing the kinds of traits that the gahmen wants.

You have a US college education but instead of finding a firm and growing with it, you job hop for less and less salary.

I hate to sound harsh but all the friends recommendations in the world won't make any difference.

Forget about citizenship. Get a job that pays MORE than what you made last time and get your REP renewed. Start building a responsible career... then about 3 years from now try for citizenship.
In the new world of Singapore politics, isnt this applicant perfect fodder for the present Govt. Giving the citizenship I would think would almost gaurantee a vote in the election.

Isnt a 4 year degree in the USA for an overseas student pushing at $150K USD?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:30 pm

Yeah, but she IS Indonesian Chinese so you know where the wherewithal came from. If she has a job paying around $3K +/- a couple of hundred and around three years of continuous work, I'd say she has a good chance but she's going to need to buckle down and stay put. She's going to need to get a re-entry permit for sure as she is going to be a PR for a couple more years before she get that red passport.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ayap1969

Post by ayap1969 » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 1:25 pm

Its who can integrate that counts. Not so much about the ethnicity. But with 75% its inevitable... but still the economic and ability to be self sufficient without bothering Singapore social fabric and spending would be the priority.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 2:45 pm

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree to disagree. I'd say, as long as the current political party is holding the reins, you will find that ethnicity will play as big a role as anything else does once PR has been obtained as there are other factors (political) involved and that also has a bearing on the way the point spreads are interpreted. At least until the 2+ percent demographic that was lost over the last 10 years has been regained by the majority race.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Post by ful babu » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 8:45 pm

^^This.