Singapore Expats

FLEA MARKETS - WHERE?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

FLEA MARKETS - WHERE?

Post by martincymru » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 11:19 am

Looking for street market where public simply sell their unwanted items (no traders allowed).

In UK normally on a Sunday morning in every town but not sure it's so popular here in Sg.

nakatago

Re: FLEA MARKETS - WHERE?

Post by nakatago » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 11:23 am

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:06 pm

I remember there's a weekend flea market over at China Square

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 3:59 pm

martincymru wrote:Looking for street market where public simply sell their unwanted items (no traders allowed).

In UK normally on a Sunday morning in every town but not sure it's so popular here in Sg.
I believe the culture in this part of the world is not to buy others 2nd hand stuff :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 10:40 pm

+1

I remember having a conversation with a friend who prefers "new". She is ready to upgrade to move out of her house, of which she is the first owner and bought it brand new from the developer. Now, the second house is also a new development. I mentioned that there is a lot of cost involved in getting a new house ready to turn it into livable condition e.g. installation of window dressings, flooring, kitchen countertops, landscaping etc........... She doesn't mind paying the premium as she does not want to live in a house that has been previously used :o . I understand not wanting to buy used shoes, used clothings or such but a house ?

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 7:27 pm

Sell your stuff on gumtree and craiglist - otherwise you options are flea markets at HDBs or Scape but I wouldn't waste my day standing around looking desperate to sell my unwanted stuff and telling the same number over and over again to passer bys.

MayDay5
Regular
Regular

Post by MayDay5 » Tue, 04 Aug 2015 11:04 pm

I remember there is a flea market at Jurong East

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 05 Aug 2015 11:47 am

not true lah! locals do buy second hand stuff.. just have a look at craigslist for things to buy or there is a flea market in Jurong East right next to the MRT.. its quite a small one though.
there are some people selling all kinds of Junk towards one side of Jalan Besar on Sundays as well.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 4:11 pm

Carousel is a good site to selling pre-loved stuff. Very popular here. You'd be surprised how many locals prowl in those sites. The most popular merchandise I've seen changing hands there are Dyson, Roomba, expensive handbags and unboxed smartphones.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 26 Nov 2015 3:09 pm

there's also the cash converter store at jurong east, not only sell they also buy second hand stuff. not sure if they are still around.. some of the items they sell are so called refurbished but from my experience I would rather buy second hand from any buy/sell section in forums or carousel etc..

alexmerlin

Post by alexmerlin » Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:54 am

I remember there is a flea market at Jurong East