Singapore Expats

Who has the upper hand in planning family vacations? Mom or Dad?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
QTNexpat

Who has the upper hand in planning family vacations? Mom or Dad?

Post by QTNexpat » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:35 am

Hello everyone!

Are you a mother or a father living in SG? Who do you think is a major decision maker in planning family vacations? Who makes the final call or where to go/how to much to spend, etc,.? And why?

I would (naively so, as I am neither a mom nor a dad) assume that a mom has the upper hand in choosing a place which both she/her husband and the kids would enjoy...what do you think?

(Note: I'm doing this for an academic project on consumer behavior, if anyone wants to know why)

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Who has the upper hand in planning family vacations? Mom or Dad?

Post by menudown » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 3:47 pm

the kids :mrgreen:

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 3:56 pm

QTNexpat wrote:Hello everyone!

Are you a mother or a father living in SG? Who do you think is a major decision maker in planning family vacations? Who makes the final call or where to go/how to much to spend, etc,.? And why?

I would (naively so, as I am neither a mom nor a dad) assume that a mom has the upper hand in choosing a place which both she/her husband and the kids would enjoy...what do you think?

(Note: I'm doing this for an academic project on consumer behavior, if anyone wants to know why)
The school system ...... :D :D :D :D :D

Almost everyone in my office takes vacation to sit with their kids in run up to exam time.

Hardly anyone takes more than a day off here and there......

Its damn strange!!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

QTNexpat

Post by QTNexpat » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 4:35 pm

Almost everyone in my office takes vacation to sit with their kids in run up to exam time.

Its damn strange!!![/quote]

You mean parents take a day or two off to assist their kids in studying for an upcoming exam rather than for a short family vacation?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 4:39 pm

QTNexpat wrote:Almost everyone in my office takes vacation to sit with their kids in run up to exam time.

Its damn strange!!!

You mean parents take a day or two off to assist their kids in studying for an upcoming exam rather than for a short family vacation?[/quote]

I am not sure how much "assitance" a parent can provide , but 90% of my colleagues never take enough time off in one go to have any sort of vacation short one or otherwise.

All annual leave is taken up with a day here and a half day there, its weird!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

QTNexpat

Post by QTNexpat » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 4:42 pm

Barnsley wrote:
QTNexpat wrote:Almost everyone in my office takes vacation to sit with their kids in run up to exam time.

Its damn strange!!!

You mean parents take a day or two off to assist their kids in studying for an upcoming exam rather than for a short family vacation?
I am not sure how much "assitance" a parent can provide , but 90% of my colleagues never take enough time off in one go to have any sort of vacation short one or otherwise.

All annual leave is taken up with a day here and a half day there, its weird!![/quote]

Ahhh that makes sense...that is odd indeed.