Singapore Expats Forum

Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
matchalatte

Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Postby matchalatte » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:23 am

Hi all, I have been thinking about getting private tutors for my kid for extra enrichment (both academic and extra-curricular), and am wondering what is the best way to look for tutors.

In my research, I have come across many agencies, but am skeptical if they really have their clients' best interest in mind (I've heard from friends who have had bad experience with them) Curious to find out from the moms here if you have hired tutors before, and how did you go about hiring one. Thank you all in advance!

Love,
Maggie

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Re: Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Postby the lynx » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 3:48 pm

You have two choices to consider:

1. Exam preparation - If your only interest is for your child to get straight As in the exam, then it is best to identify the agency that boasts how in-touch they are with the exam format and marking system. So your child only needs to learn what is needed to get those straight As. Here rote learning is the key.

2. Holistic education - This is where your child learns and also learns how to apply what he has learned. If this is the case, you need personal recommendations from friends (this is where you ditch advertisements and brochures of mega-agencies) on private tutors whose focus is for wholesome development of the child. Such tutors will develop/alter the materials to suit the child's pace, weakness/strengths and his grade at school is of second priority (because f*** rote learning/examination). Sometimes a non-professional tutor can do better than multi-million tutor megastar for a child.

Source: Was a tutor

briannabanks

Postby briannabanks » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 2:05 am

Heres a giant menu of articles containing advice about hiring tutors and what happens after. It also includes compilation of blacklisted names. Hopefully this is useful for you.

http://www.domainofexperts.com/2013/07/ ... tutor.html

Karenong933

Postby Karenong933 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

I have hired private tutor for my brother and sisters. The teachers are MOE registered and very experience. Just to share with you.You can email me at Iamatutor@someplace.com.sg

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Karenong933, does the number 4690 mean something to you? I'm pretty sure it does. Also, I need one good reason not to lock your account for soliciting business.