Singapore Expats

Windows 10 PC Free upgrade

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Windows 10 PC Free upgrade

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 28 Jun 2015 5:37 pm

As most of you already know Windows 10 upgrade for desktop is available and is for free for all Windows 8 PCs but has to be done within 1 year.

I am wondering if anyone has gone ahead and upgraded?

My experience with ios 8 upgrade on my ipad has been terrible. It needed 5 GB free space and thats too much for a 16GB ipad, after upgrade the ipad became slow and I eventually I sold it off and bought a cheap but nice 7" lenovo android phablet.

So I am skeptical about upgrades. I sometimes wonder if OS upgrade is a way for manufacturers to trap us by loading heavy s/w on outdated h/w and then we eventually dump the device and buy a new one.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 PC Free upgrade

Post by Pal » Sun, 28 Jun 2015 5:58 pm

It is scheduled to be released in July. I don't think anyone has officially upgraded yet apart from the preview version.

So far most of the previewers are very happy with Windows 10.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 28 Jun 2015 6:09 pm

Oh ok. I got a notification on my laptop to reserve a copy and you are right it says it is after 29th Jul.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:58 am

I have been receiving updates for my Windows 7 almost everyday... maybe its a preparation for a smooth upgrade to Windows 10...hope there's no compatibility issue or problems after the upgrade

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:29 am

I'm pissed off that I already said yes, and even hiding the icon but that notification keeps popping up in my notification tray. I already tried installing that notifier but windows update brought it back. I would have thought that it would go away if you already said yes but it's still there...can't get rid of it...like love handles or bad dandruff.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

chuajason

Post by chuajason » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 6:29 pm

Windows 10 is a good upgrade for Windows 8 or 8.1 users but I am not so sure I can say the same for Windows 7 ones. I would say hold your horses on upgrading and wait for reviews if you are using it as your primary computer/laptop.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 3:39 pm

nakatago wrote:I'm pissed off that I already said yes, and even hiding the icon but that notification keeps popping up in my notification tray. I already tried installing that notifier but windows update brought it back. I would have thought that it would go away if you already said yes but it's still there...can't get rid of it...like love handles or bad dandruff.
You can get rid of it.
There is a small up arrow at the left most end of the notification tray. Click on it and then you see small notification icons like the chrome, bluetooth etc. At the bottom there is link called customize. Click on it. The you see an icon called GWX and options hide icon and/or notifications.
customise.png

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 6:59 pm

Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I'm pissed off that I already said yes, and even hiding the icon but that notification keeps popping up in my notification tray. I already tried installing that notifier but windows update brought it back. I would have thought that it would go away if you already said yes but it's still there...can't get rid of it...like love handles or bad dandruff.
You can get rid of it.
There is a small up arrow at the left most end of the notification tray. Click on it and then you see small notification icons like the chrome, bluetooth etc. At the bottom there is link called customize. Click on it. The you see an icon called GWX and options hide icon and/or notifications.
customise.png
Don't you think I already did that? It will come back. GWX is a windows update so even if you uninstall but if you have windows update on, it will come back.

The last thing I tried was create a registry entry for it to disable it. I'll know on my Monday when I boot up my windows PC again.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 7:31 pm

Have you tried to do format c: and reinstall the system?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 11 Jul 2015 8:44 pm

x9200 wrote:Have you tried to do format c: and reinstall the system?

* Work computer
* Too troublesome to reinstall everything
* GWX will be downloaded again as soon as Windows update kicks in

wenber

Post by wenber » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 8:20 am

Think I wait first as still satisfied w windows 8
Windows 10 just releases only perhaps not stable

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 8:23 am

I don't use MSWindows as my primary platform and I don't store there any sensitive personal information but most people do. With all the enthusiasm around the "free upgrade" to Windows 10, are you all aware what this new OS actually does? This is a pretty innocent article about the windows 10 privacy problems but there is much more to be concerned about.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows-10 ... need-know/

One may, for example, wonder how many backdoors allowing full access to your machine is in that system.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 11:08 am

x9200 wrote:I don't use MSWindows as my primary platform and I don't store there any sensitive personal information but most people do. With all the enthusiasm around the "free upgrade" to Windows 10, are you all aware what this new OS actually does? This is a pretty innocent article about the windows 10 privacy problems but there is much more to be concerned about.

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/windows-10 ... need-know/

One may, for example, wonder how many backdoors allowing full access to your machine is in that system.
In all fairness, there is nothing in there that isn't widespread across iOS and Google services. How can Siri/Google Now/Cortana tell you about restaurants nearby if they can't access your location?

At least the Wired article, and Microsoft, provide options that provide privacy if you prefer to lockdown your info.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:00 pm

I have installed it but have not really gone deep into it yet. Just superficial uses. All programs I have used after the upgrade still worked.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Thu, 06 Aug 2015 12:02 pm

I have also installed it. All works well like it should.

The interface is much cleaner and easier to use than Windows 8.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property