Singapore Expats Forum

Please Help! Hong Kong Chinese Working In Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jean

Please Help! Hong Kong Chinese Working In Singapore

Postby Jean » Fri, 21 Jan 2005 4:36 pm

I am planning to move to Singapore with B/F in 3 months time. He got a job in Singapore and we are planning to married when we settle down.

I would like to get a job before I move there. I am currently working in Hong Kong and do not have PR at the moment. I intend to apply for one after Chinese New Year, or find a job first then apply employment visa.

I have been working in Sales and Marketing (exports/products) for 5 years and have a MA. I know that there are plenty of sales and mareking for electronics, chemical and petroleum. However, they are not my field.

1. Is it necessary to have related experience for whatever job that I intend to apply?
2. How big is the chance that I can work in a different profession?
3. Is it necessary to have PR first before I can find a job?
4. Is it true that it is more diffcult for Hong Kong Chinese to find a job in SIngapore (cause of the competition between Hong Kong Chinese and Singaporean)? Or is it just a rumor?

Please help!

ahong

Re: Please Help! Hong Kong Chinese Working In Singapore

Postby ahong » Sun, 23 Jan 2005 2:03 pm

Jean wrote:I am planning to move to Singapore with B/F in 3 months time. He got a job in Singapore and we are planning to married when we settle down.

I would like to get a job before I move there. I am currently working in Hong Kong and do not have PR at the moment. I intend to apply for one after Chinese New Year, or find a job first then apply employment visa.

I have been working in Sales and Marketing (exports/products) for 5 years and have a MA. I know that there are plenty of sales and mareking for electronics, chemical and petroleum. However, they are not my field.

1. Is it necessary to have related experience for whatever job that I intend to apply?
2. How big is the chance that I can work in a different profession?
3. Is it necessary to have PR first before I can find a job?
4. Is it true that it is more diffcult for Hong Kong Chinese to find a job in SIngapore (cause of the competition between Hong Kong Chinese and Singaporean)? Or is it just a rumor?

Please help!

Hi Jean,

Just my 2 cents worth... Experience is a good to have in whatever jobs here in Sg. I do not know about the practices in Hong Kong but employers here do look at whether you have what is takes. Knowing and able to apply your strengths will put you in a strong position to land a job here.

If you are looking to work in a different profession, chances are that you have to "start all over again". Some thought may be put in whether it is alright to juggle adjustment to lifestyle in a different country and working environment together.

You may apply for an employment pass before a PR. However it requires a sponsorship by your employer. Thus more advisable to get a job first.

Generally i do not think it is more difficult for Hong Kong Chinese to get a job here compared to other expats.

chai

Postby chai » Sun, 23 Jan 2005 6:23 pm

Rely on your boyfriend for a while first. Life style and ppl mind set is completely different here, depends on whether you like HK or not, I found usually ppl who likes HK wouldn't prefer stay in SG for long. About looking for a job, do expect 20-30% pay lower compare with HK.

Monavie

here is a great job opp

Postby Monavie » Tue, 25 Jan 2005 2:45 am

If you are currently living in Singapore or will be moving there shortly you cannot miss this great opportunity for employment. Have you ever heard of network marketing? It sometimes gets a bad wrap here in the US, but in Asia some of the most respected and wealthy individuals are full time network marketers. The point is this, MonaVie is a brand new international network marketing company that has its international headquarters in Singapore! The company has just launched in Jan of 2005 and is looking for leaders in Singapore right now. The income potential for someone in network marketing is at its largest and strongest within the first year the company launches. 97% of all network marketing millionaires get involved with their company within the first 24 months of its launch. This opportunity is awaiting you in Singapore. If you want to know more about the product go to www.monavie.com. There is a lot of information on the site and it is all flash, so if you don’t have a high speed connection you might have some problems viewing the site. I would love to send you some free brochures and even an amazing DVD for you to look at. I promise you this is the ultimate job opportunity for anyone going to Asia. Within the next 3 months we hope to be in Thailand and then a month later into Taiwan. In network marketing the greatest thing is you never have to do it alone. I am waiting to assist you in any way I can. Please call right away before too many people before you start to solidify the emerging market in Singapore.
Sincerely,
Eric Kandell
801-602-4745 cell
888-435-657-2848 toll free
eric@thekandells.com home email
eric@valleycapitalinvestments.com work email
Eric Kandell
801-602-4745
eric@erickandell.com

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu, 27 Jan 2005 1:28 pm

So if I apply for employment visa, do I need to re-apply it if I want to change job?

Francis28

Postby Francis28 » Thu, 03 Feb 2005 4:07 pm

Jean, have you already found a job? May i know which aspect of sales and marketing are you looking into?

Anyway, i don't think you have to re-apply if you change jobs. All you need to do is to renew it once the expiry date is reached

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri, 04 Feb 2005 5:09 pm

Hi Francis,

To reply your question, my sales and marketing experience is mainly in products, such as textile, stationery, bags, gifts and premium and some personal electronics items.
Also, all my experience are for export market (international trade). I am also experienced in manufacturing in China. Some of the company that I worked for are actually factories. I have good contacts with factory in China and overseas customer.
Moreover, my current boss is from UK, so I am familiar to the way how they work.

With my experience and education background, do you think it is easy to get a job in Singapore? What sort of salary range I should expect?