Singapore Expats

Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 1:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is a really cool feature about phones. You can share your phone's data connection to make it behave like a wifi transmitter and then use another phone use that data through wifi.
Welcome to 2010.
I kind of knew that this technology existed, but never tried it out because I never felt the need while here in SG.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 1:58 pm

Original phone is fixed , so I will pick it up tomorrow.

Oddly my loan phone has now decided that it will start having a proper data connection :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 2:18 pm

Barnsley wrote:Original phone is fixed , so I will pick it up tomorrow.

Oddly my loan phone has now decided that it will start having a proper data connection :D :D :D

Code: Select all

if (end_of_lease_date == datenow()) {
    enable_4g(True);
} else {
   enable_4g(False);
}
You know it's gotta be in there somewhere.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by x9200 » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 5:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:Under the new lemon law, now they must replace one for one, within 7 days ...
"http://www.mti.gov.sg/legislation/Pages ... e-Act.aspx"
Could you please quote for me where it says what you claimed above? Sorry I have reservation to read this document (and I think I am familiar with it anyway). CRT-F does not show any words containing "day" and "week".

justsee01

Post by justsee01 » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Wd40 wrote:It is a 3g phone. I think you need to enable mobile data in your settings and then it should work.
Data is on ... I just cannot get data connection , I had the same issue with an Samsung Galaxy Ace , no data outside
Hey Barnsley,
You actually need to download or set APN settings which tell the phone how to connect to the data network, you can google it for every provider, on Android phones if I remember correctly, you have a "download provider settings" button.

WD, yes you can do it with a dual SIM phone, most phones today though can only supports one active data connection, but I think that is more than sufficient. Do note that most dual sim phones will revert the non-active SIM card to a 2G network, so in countries such as Japan, phones like that tender the other cars useless as Japan has no 2G network anymore.

I suggest you also check out the wifi router rental at Changi! Their rates for data roaming are cheaper that the mobile carrier! That is if you don't plan to buy a local sim (cheaper in most cases)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justsee01

Post by justsee01 » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 4:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Wd40 wrote:It is a 3g phone. I think you need to enable mobile data in your settings and then it should work.
Data is on ... I just cannot get data connection , I had the same issue with an Samsung Galaxy Ace , no data outside
Hey Barnsley,
You actually need to download or set APN settings which tell the phone how to connect to the data network, you can google it for every provider, on Android phones if I remember correctly, you have a "download provider settings" button.

WD, yes you can do it with a dual SIM phone, most phones today though can only supports one active data connection, but I think that is more than sufficient. Do note that most dual sim phones will revert the non-active SIM card to a 2G network, so in countries such as Japan, phones like that tender the other cars useless as Japan has no 2G network anymore.

I suggest you also check out the wifi router rental at Changi! Their rates for data roaming are cheaper that the mobile carrier! That is if you don't plan to buy a local sim (cheaper in most cases)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 9:17 am

Wd40 wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is a really cool feature about phones. You can share your phone's data connection to make it behave like a wifi transmitter and then use another phone use that data through wifi.

Right now I am in India, got a 3g sim put it into a spare phone and I use my Singapore phone/sim and connect to the spare phone data using wifi. I can use viber out for making VoIP calls and WhatsApp remains functional.

I wonder if a dual SIM phone can be used to achieve the same thing?
Yes, I have a Xiaomi M4i, their new "budget flagship" with dual LTE SIMs. I keep two different SIMs in it and use it for data based on where I'm at. All of those apps which require your phone number will work fine with either SIM (all they do is send an SMS to verify, you could send the SMS to a different phone even). I then set it up as a hotspot (yes it's cool, but not a new feature) to whichever SIM is preferable based on my location.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:21 am

zzm9980 wrote:

Right now I am in India, got a 3g sim put it into a spare phone and I use my Singapore phone/sim and connect to the spare phone data using wifi. I can use viber out for making VoIP calls and WhatsApp remains functional.

I wonder if a dual SIM phone can be used to achieve the same thing?
Yes, I have a Xiaomi M4i, their new "budget flagship" with dual LTE SIMs. I keep two different SIMs in it and use it for data based on where I'm at. All of those apps which require your phone number will work fine with either SIM (all they do is send an SMS to verify, you could send the SMS to a different phone even). I then set it up as a hotspot (yes it's cool, but not a new feature) to whichever SIM is preferable based on my location.
Thanks! My next phone will surely be a dual SIM one, then.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:26 am

justsee01 wrote:

Thanks!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:56 am

Wd40 wrote: Thanks! My next phone will surely be a dual SIM one, then.
This phone is officially available in India (and SIngapore), and costs about S$250 here. You should try to pick one up there, see if it is cheaper.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 04 Jul 2015 3:12 pm

Slightly off topic. My postpaid singtel connection has 100 mins free and beyond that it costs 16c/Min. I just looked at ViberOut rates for Singapore. It is 3c/Min! I had initially taken ViberOut for calling overseas. But even calling locally its cheaper to call using Voip than using cell phone, beyond the free mins!