Singapore Expats Forum
 

Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 9:07 pm

Hello Folks,

My new Sony phone broke after 4 days , so I had to take it back to the shop , Sony insist on repairing said phone instead of giving me another new one.

However the question I have is , they have loaned me a very old Sony ST23i running Android 4.04 , is it compatible with my 4G LTE Sim Card as I cant get any data connection when away from wireless connection.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 9:24 pm

It is a 3g phone. I think you need to enable mobile data in your settings and then it should work.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 9:43 pm

There's a great reason for never purchasing a Sony phone.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:00 pm

Slightly off topic, but there is a really cool feature about phones. You can share your phone's data connection to make it behave like a wifi transmitter and then use another phone use that data through wifi.







Right now I am in India, got a 3g sim put it into a spare phone and I use my Singapore phone/sim and connect to the spare phone data using wifi. I can use viber out for making VoIP calls and WhatsApp remains functional.


I wonder if a dual SIM phone can be used to achieve the same thing?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:33 pm

Wd40 wrote:It is a 3g phone. I think you need to enable mobile data in your settings and then it should work.
Data is on ... I just cannot get data connection , I had the same issue with an Samsung Galaxy Ace , no data outside
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 10:53 am
Location: SIndiapore

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 10:50 pm

That is strange. Can't think of any reason other than go to your mobile data settings and make sure data is enabled for the phone, not just the sim. Then make sure there is no data limit set. Restart you phone couple of times. Insert the sim and take it out a couple of times.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11630
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is a really cool feature about phones. You can share your phone's data connection to make it behave like a wifi transmitter and then use another phone use that data through wifi.

Right now I am in India, got a 3g sim put it into a spare phone and I use my Singapore phone/sim and connect to the spare phone data using wifi. I can use viber out for making VoIP calls and WhatsApp remains functional.

I wonder if a dual SIM phone can be used to achieve the same thing?
It's called mobile hotspot or wireless tethering... available on most all Android phones unless blocked by the carrier. I use it all the time to connect my laptop to the internet when I am working in offices with security restricted internet access.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9520
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by x9200 » Sat, 27 Jun 2015 8:19 am

Strong Eagle wrote:There's a great reason for never purchasing a Sony phone.
I agree and for the whole brand, but I am curious of your reasons.

Nb. my wife's brand new iphone 5c stopped working correctly after a few days only too and Apple service also insisted to get it repaired instead of replacing it.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by the lynx » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 9:34 am

Because unboxing a new one renders the whole product void :P

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 9:45 am

the lynx wrote:Because unboxing a new one renders the whole product void :P
Under the new lemon law, now they must replace one for one, within 7 days ...

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9520
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by x9200 » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 10:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Because unboxing a new one renders the whole product void :P
Under the new lemon law, now they must replace one for one, within 7 days ...
Huh? Any link confirming the above?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 Jun 2015 11:45 pm

x9200 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Because unboxing a new one renders the whole product void :P
Under the new lemon law, now they must replace one for one, within 7 days ...
Huh? Any link confirming the above?
It's here

"http://www.mti.gov.sg/legislation/Pages ... e-Act.aspx"

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8338
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by nakatago » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 7:04 am

Wd40 wrote:Slightly off topic, but there is a really cool feature about phones. You can share your phone's data connection to make it behave like a wifi transmitter and then use another phone use that data through wifi.
Welcome to 2010.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 37182
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:54 am

^^^
Image

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Phone is it 4G LTE Compatible???

Post by the lynx » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:13 am

And here I am, thinking I'm the odd technology illiterate in this forum :P

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest