Singapore Expats

Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
mdisala

Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by mdisala » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 7:16 pm

Hello members, I’ve searched but I couldn’t find anything related to this topic but couldn’t find any.
I am a 27 years old Sales and Marketing professional with 07 years of marketing experience, I am qualified with the professional post graduate diploma in Marketing (graduated in 2014) from chartered institute of Marketing (CIM-UK) I need to know what are the opportunities that are available in Singapore for a sales and Marketing guy like me and what kind of Salaries that I can go for?
All of your replied will be highly appreciated.
Thank you all,
Malith Disala

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:09 pm

What are you selling?

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:41 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What are you selling?
Thank you for your feedback.

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:42 pm

mdisala wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:What are you selling?
Thank you for your feedback.
i have 03years of computers peripheral sales and another 04 years in Freight forwarding and Shipping.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 3:06 pm

You will probably be competing with 5000 local with just as much experience in either. Singapore used to like to tout itself as an IT hub and it was and is still one of the largest container ports in the world, so there are a surfeit of sales persons with those types of qualifications who can also speak some of the regional and/or National languages of the region/country. Singapore has four recognized languages of which English is the Language of Government but the language of the largest demographic here is Mandarin. (78% of the residents). So unless you are able to pony up some asian language cababilities I don't see you having a very easy time penetrating the market here, at least in those fields anyway. I'd say you are going to need a healthy dollop of luck on this one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 3:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will probably be competing with 5000 local with just as much experience in either. Singapore used to like to tout itself as an IT hub and it was and is still one of the largest container ports in the world, so there are a surfeit of sales persons with those types of qualifications who can also speak some of the regional and/or National languages of the region/country. Singapore has four recognized languages of which English is the Language of Government but the language of the largest demographic here is Mandarin. (78% of the residents). So unless you are able to pony up some asian language cababilities I don't see you having a very easy time penetrating the market here, at least in those fields anyway. I'd say you are going to need a healthy dollop of luck on this one.
Hello,

Thank you for your feedabck, i think first i should brush up some mandarin skills and then apply for some jobs.

thank you again for your valued feedback.

Malith

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:01 am

mdisala wrote: Thank you for your feedabck, i think first i should brush up some mandarin skills and then apply for some jobs.
Brush up ? So you learnt Mandarin before ? :roll:

wendyboey

Post by wendyboey » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 11:22 am

Hi Malith, I see that you worked in marketing in 2 different industries. I'm curious what type of industry you intend to work in next, or still in same industries?

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 1:20 pm

wendyboey wrote:Hi Malith, I see that you worked in marketing in 2 different industries. I'm curious what type of industry you intend to work in next, or still in same industries?
Hello Wendy, i bid you a good Day! and it is nice to see lot of people have commented on this and i thank you everyone for their contribution. answering your question, i believe i will have a better chance in a landing a job in the industries that i have worked for, but even if the industry chance it does not matter since i have the required knowledge to adopt.

Thank you-Best regards,
Malith Disala

wendyboey

Post by wendyboey » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 1:30 pm

Hi Malith, like your positive thinking :) I myself changed industries a few times too. when sending out your resumes, you may want to 'personalise' it for each company you send to, e.g. if you are applying for a F&B industry, you can state how you can use your marketing and sales experience and knowledge to help market the products, show how you are 'familiar' with the industry. if you are applying for the industries you have already worked in, emphasis on how you can leverage on your past experience, as well as new ideas

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 1:50 pm

wendyboey wrote:Hi Malith, like your positive thinking :) I myself changed industries a few times too. when sending out your resumes, you may want to 'personalise' it for each company you send to, e.g. if you are applying for a F&B industry, you can state how you can use your marketing and sales experience and knowledge to help market the products, show how you are 'familiar' with the industry. if you are applying for the industries you have already worked in, emphasis on how you can leverage on your past experience, as well as new ideas
Hi wendy,

many thanks for your reply, and for your advise. what do you think about my qualifications? will i stand a chance in Landing a Job?

wendyboey

Post by wendyboey » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:01 pm

as long as you do not have a defeatist attitude, there is no question whether you will land a job or not, and whether you have good or poor qualifications. in my previous companies there are senior managers and directors who did poorly in the singapore education system, some went to the "non elite" jcs, some went poly, some got a private degree.

check out the sales and marketing job advertisements in various job portals, see how much they are paying and what their job scope consists of. you would have a better idea of what you can bring to the table. hope that helps :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:05 pm

Just what this forum needs. A smoke blower. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Need Advice-Available Jobs for a sales professional

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:06 pm

wendyboey wrote:as long as you do not have a defeatist attitude, there is no question whether you will land a job or not, and whether you have good or poor qualifications. ..
Hi Wendy

Can I know your residential status in Singapore ?

I am not trying to discourage the OP. Btw.

mdisala

Post by mdisala » Thu, 25 Jun 2015 2:09 pm

wendyboey wrote:as long as you do not have a defeatist attitude, there is no question whether you will land a job or not, and whether you have good or poor qualifications. in my previous companies there are senior managers and directors who did poorly in the singapore education system, some went to the "non elite" jcs, some went poly, some got a private degree.

check out the sales and marketing job advertisements in various job portals, see how much they are paying and what their job scope consists of. you would have a better idea of what you can bring to the table. hope that helps :)
Thank you Wendy for your Support, in the web portals that you mentioned, is there special website that post job only for expats. or do you just search and apply?

thanks again.
Malith