Singapore Expats

whoohoo beerfest

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

whoohoo beerfest

Post by Sporkin » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 5:40 pm

Finally, time to kick back and lighten my wallet and my head simultaneously!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: whoohoo beerfest

Post by bgd » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 6:30 pm

Which? I understand they vary in quality. Lynx is the resident expert.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 7:24 pm

Is there another one? I'm heading to the one this weekend at the flyer, with live bands and big tents. The discounted tickets are sold out :evil:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:21 pm

Beerfest is a waste of time and money. You pay a lot of money but you still have to pay for the beer (or wine; they have wine there too). The beer brands sold there aren't exactly discounted. Whatever you can find there, you can almost find them at Thirsty, Cider Pit or other independent beer places for similar price.

Went there twice and decided to take my money elsewhere for music and beer.

bgd, wrong person! :P

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:24 pm

Ah crap, I ponied up $40 just to get in, looks like its going to be an expensive night out...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:59 pm

If this consoles you, go get a bunch of friends to go with you. Great company with good music (I'm counting on good local bands to show up) beats expensive beer/wine. Try getting discounted tickets from beer specialty establishments (because they are partners/exhibitors as well). RedDot or Tawandang or Thristy comes to mind.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:16 am

Yep I'm aware of the prices I've been there before, just that last time me mates got the discounted tickets, just annoyed at having to pay $40 just to get in this year. Oh well, since its done I'm going full steam ahead to rent some beers.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:23 am

the lynx wrote:
bgd, wrong person! :P
Nonsense, you speak with authority. :)

Sporkin, enjoy. Report back.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:57 am

I posted in Sep-14 re: the 'Keppel Oktoberfest'.
Sporkin, you posted in that topic too. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... r+festival
Anyway, good luck with the 'Beerfest' (vs the 'Oktoberfest' that I visited). I'd be interested to hear how they compare.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:04 pm

lol @oktoberfest in Singapore, must have been quite a rip-off I'd imagine.
instead of using an excuse to peddle cheap beer, Oktoberfest would be all about milking as much money from people by charging exorbitant rates for average beer in the name of exclusivity.

P.S Sponsor: Okto Channel :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:29 pm

I didn't go for the Oktoberfest after seeing the lukewarm review, and the rather expensive prices. Some times I think I'm just penny wise pound foolish, feeling the pinch over spending slightly more for tickets, whereas i could forgo the whole event entirely and possibly be better off. You probably tell I have a wee weak spot for the beverage.
JR8 wrote:I posted in Sep-14 re: the 'Keppel Oktoberfest'.
Sporkin, you posted in that topic too. http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... r+festival
Anyway, good luck with the 'Beerfest' (vs the 'Oktoberfest' that I visited). I'd be interested to hear how they compare.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:36 pm

The organizers probably classify drinking events as 'foreign decadence' that they can make a killing out off.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:lol @oktoberfest in Singapore, must have been quite a rip-off I'd imagine.
instead of using an excuse to peddle cheap beer, Oktoberfest would be all about milking as much money from people by charging exorbitant rates for average beer in the name of exclusivity.

P.S Sponsor: Okto Channel :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 2:27 pm

Sporkin wrote:I didn't go for the Oktoberfest after seeing the lukewarm review, and the rather expensive prices. Some times I think I'm just penny wise pound foolish, feeling the pinch over spending slightly more for tickets, whereas i could forgo the whole event entirely and possibly be better off. You probably tell I have a wee weak spot for the beverage.
JR8 wrote:I posted in Sep-14 re: the 'Keppel Oktoberfest'.
Target Swiss Club's Oktoberfest this September then. That's one I'm willing to make exceptions for.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 5:40 pm

the lynx wrote: Target Swiss Club's Oktoberfest this September then. That's one I'm willing to make exceptions for.
Is that open to the public? If so, that could be a very good idea!
In fact one could start a new topic re: cultural events that are authentic and mostly done on a non-commercial basis, i.e. it's primarily about cultural and trade promotion. The Thai Embassy annual 'open house' with F+B, ents, cultural shows etc is another we have been to and thoroughly enjoyed. [Plus you get to see inside one of the world's most valuable pieces of real estate!].
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 8:49 pm

JR8 wrote:
the lynx wrote: Target Swiss Club's Oktoberfest this September then. That's one I'm willing to make exceptions for.
Is that open to the public? If so, that could be a very good idea!
In fact one could start a new topic re: cultural events that are authentic and mostly done on a non-commercial basis, i.e. it's primarily about cultural and trade promotion. The Thai Embassy annual 'open house' with F+B, ents, cultural shows etc is another we have been to and thoroughly enjoyed. [Plus you get to see inside one of the world's most valuable pieces of real estate!].
Ooh, I'm curious about Thai Embassy's event. Do you have any link to show?

Return to “General Discussions”