Singapore Expats

Condo garden options - what and how

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Condo garden options - what and how

Post by The Ref » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:20 am

I have started my little vegie patch in pot plants however when I go away they die :( so I have been looking at some of the "self watering pots" and think this is a good option. (basically recycled 2l bottles cut in half which creates a water repository underneath and a wick to draw the water up)

It might not look the best but I think it is the only option that allows me to leave them for a week or so without falling foul of the anti dengue measures.

So, 2 questions:
1. Has anyone tried this (or similar) and can give me some tips?
2. What is good to grow here? I want to try tomatoes, spinach, lettuce and zucchini plus herbs.

I only have a small window box and no tap to leave a permanent water option.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Condo garden options - what and how

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:47 pm

check the gardening thread, and all the stuff you want to grow takes a lot of time and effort, i've been growing mostly plants that need little or no water
i'm not sure about the self watering system, i've seen some of those ( not quite the 2l bottles cut in half but something similar) in far east flora.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Condo garden options - what and how

Post by the lynx » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 8:43 pm

The Ref wrote:I have started my little vegie patch in pot plants however when I go away they die :( so I have been looking at some of the "self watering pots" and think this is a good option. (basically recycled 2l bottles cut in half which creates a water repository underneath and a wick to draw the water up)

It might not look the best but I think it is the only option that allows me to leave them for a week or so without falling foul of the anti dengue measures.

So, 2 questions:
1. Has anyone tried this (or similar) and can give me some tips?
2. What is good to grow here? I want to try tomatoes, spinach, lettuce and zucchini plus herbs.

I only have a small window box and no tap to leave a permanent water option.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=99264

Check out the gardening thread where JR8, Tanuki, RATM and myself discussed about growing own garden.

I've only tried the wick method on parents' bonsai pots, many years ago. The trick is getting the right amount of capillary effect of the wick.