Singapore Expats

Convert student pass to PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
windwhisper

Convert student pass to PR

Post by windwhisper » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 7:19 pm

Hi,
Currently I am holding a student pass. I have been here for almost 7 years, after obtained my bachelor degree at local university, I am now pursuing a PhD degree at local university. Recently I am considering to apply PR. But I am wondering whether I am liable to serve the national service. I am reaching 27 years old this Sep and I should be under 1st generation PR, do I still have the liability? Anyone has the similar situation or knows the answer?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Convert student pass to PR

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 7:37 pm

First of all, I'm not sure how you have staying here for 7 years unless you have been a full time student the whole time. Assuming you have been a full time student for 7 years, you have no practical experience and only theoretical academic experience. I'm not sure if you would have a chance, unless, of course, your specialization is in a niche area that the government desperately needs. But given that you are taking your courses in Singapore Uni's, I would assume that there would also be local competition, therefore putting you on equal ground with local's with the same qualifications. If that were the case, I don't see them giving you PR.

As you have not relevant experience in the field, but not here on the Family Ties scheme, you would almost have to be under the PTS scheme for PR. If that is the case, then your NS obligation would, in normal circumstances, be waived. But as you have had the benefit of 7 years of local tertiary education here, You "might" be required to do NS. But normally this would not be so.

Good question, and I cannot give you a definitive answer. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Convert student pass to PR

Post by midlet2013 » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:54 am

I have never seen anyone apply for PR as a student but I may be wrong.

If you are doing Ph.D., it might be better to finish, find a job, and then apply.

Right now, try to do well in Ph.D. so if not Singapore, somewhere else :)