Singapore Expats

Khoo Teck Puat Hospital Shooting

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Khoo Teck Puat Hospital Shooting

Post by menudown » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:07 am

A motor vehicle theft brazenly shot an officer and now could face death penalty

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/k ... th-penalty

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Khoo Teck Puat Hospital Shooting

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:02 am

menudown wrote:A motor vehicle theft brazenly shot an officer and now could face death penalty

The guy is clearly a bit crazy ..... Its a vehicle theft , now even if he doesnt get the rope he is gonna get a nice long sentence.

Hope its not a FT :D :D :D :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Khoo Teck Puat Hospital Shooting

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:08 am

Barnsley wrote:
menudown wrote:A motor vehicle theft brazenly shot an officer and now could face death penalty

The guy is clearly a bit crazy ..... Its a vehicle theft , now even if he doesnt get the rope he is gonna get a nice long sentence.

Hope its not a FT :D :D :D :D
That escalated quickly, from prison + caning to the noose.

100% SGn per news

Seems he knew how to overcome the snatch resistant holster and cock and fire a revolver, former NS as police ?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:33 am

Actually from the injury sustained by the officer, the revolver was probably shot while in holster. Hence, left thumb + foot wounds.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:38 am

the lynx wrote:Actually from the injury sustained by the officer, the revolver was probably shot while in holster. Hence, left thumb + foot wounds.
The new holsters don't allow the gun to be cocked while in the holster, I think ..

That design was introduced post a gun snatching leading to dead officers in the past. Or so I recall

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:40 am

ecureilx wrote: That escalated quickly, from prison + caning to the noose.
..or did he shoot the officer in the hand or head :?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:46 am

menudown wrote:
ecureilx wrote: That escalated quickly, from prison + caning to the noose.
..or did he shoot the officer in the hand or head :?
Illegal disposal of firearms -> death penalty.

In this country, firearms, murder and drug-related offences could lead to death penalty.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 12:32 pm

ecureilx wrote:The new holsters don't allow the gun to be cocked while in the holster, I think ..

That design was introduced post a gun snatching leading to dead officers in the past. Or so I recall
Most semi-automatic pistols are double action, that is, it is not necessary to cock the hammer in order to fire the gun... one need only to squeeze the trigger in order to cock the hammer and fire. After the first shot, the hammer remains in the cocked position for the second shot.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 3:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:The new holsters don't allow the gun to be cocked while in the holster, I think ..

Most semi-automatic pistols are double action, that is, it is not necessary to cock the hammer in order to fire the gun... one need only to squeeze the trigger in order to cock the hammer and fire. After the first shot, the hammer remains in the cocked position for the second shot.
I am not a firearms expert, but cops here still carry revolvers .. the 5 round ones.

QueensG

Post by QueensG » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 5:13 pm

The police statement simply says "shots were fired" (by whom?) and not a single news/"news" site says that the civilian did it.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 6:15 pm

I think single and double action specifically refers to revolvers rather than pistols in general. I'm not sure there are semi-auto pistols that fire without needing to cock because the first round isn't automatically chambered.
ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I am not a firearms expert, but cops here still carry revolvers .. the 5 round ones.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 6:55 pm

QueensG wrote:The police statement simply says "shots were fired" (by whom?) and not a single news/"news" site says that the civilian did it.
CNA says this .. "SINGAPORE: The suspect who allegedly snatched a police officer's revolver and fired the gun in Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) has been charged for unlawful discharge of firearms at the State Courts on Monday (Jun 22).

Muhammad Iskandar Bin Sa'at, 23, could face the death penalty if convicted. He was charged with using a .38 calibre Taurus revolver to discharge three rounds with the intent to cause physical injury to 31-year-old Mohammad Sadli Bin Razali, who Channel NewsAsia understands is the police officer who sustained gunshot wounds.

....Muhammad Iskandar attempted to escape and a struggle ensued, during which he snatched the police officer's revolver. Shots were fired from the revolver."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 7:56 pm

Sporkin wrote:I think single and double action specifically refers to revolvers rather than pistols in general. I'm not sure there are semi-auto pistols that fire without needing to cock because the first round isn't automatically chambered.
Not so... single and double action applies to all types of pistols. I own a Ruger P89D 9mm semi-auto. I keep one in the chamber. There is no need to cock it... squeezing the trigger will cock it.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:17 am

I thought in an empty semi-auto pistol, if you just load the clip and don't cock it, the chamber is empty,
or maybe cocking is not the term for that, sliding the bolt carrier back?

Strong Eagle wrote:
Sporkin wrote:I think single and double action specifically refers to revolvers rather than pistols in general. I'm not sure there are semi-auto pistols that fire without needing to cock because the first round isn't automatically chambered.
Not so... single and double action applies to all types of pistols. I own a Ruger P89D 9mm semi-auto. I keep one in the chamber. There is no need to cock it... squeezing the trigger will cock it.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 2:32 pm

Sporkin wrote:I thought in an empty semi-auto pistol, if you just load the clip and don't cock it, the chamber is empty,
or maybe cocking is not the term for that, sliding the bolt carrier back?
for officers, they'll need to load the arm once they are deployed for duty.. there will always be a round inside the chamber