Singapore Expats

Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
x9200

Re: Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by x9200 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:33 am

the lynx wrote:1. The idea of seeking strangers from a public forum to be part of this programme. Ecureilx has already brought up this point and I'd like to stress that it is already very vulnerable situation for a young child with special needs to be left under care of legit volunteers, let alone strangers. I really really hope OP would be careful with this (hence my initial reply of "wish you two the next"
To be fair, the OP did not say the kid will be left with the stranger. For an autistic kid this would be one of the most stupid thing imaginable (at least in the initial period).

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:16 pm

while we are on the subject here, nobody even talks about that Autistic child! what if he really hates people? especially strangers or is an introvert? subjecting this child to random strangers who volunteer for this program might prove to be more detrimental than useful.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

samwilfred

Post by samwilfred » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:38 pm

Hi all, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I can verify that this is a genuine request for help, having gone through the process myself and knowing the family personally. Unfortunately, we have limited help from mainstream (tried that route) because this is essentially a home-based program and mainstream caters for the masses. I see most of you here are volunteers, and it's very heartening to know there are many of you out there willing to help for nothing in return. We are a very small community of parents in Singapore, doing the son-rise program. If you're keen to know about this community, you can follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/embraceautism.sg. Thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:48 pm

samwilfred wrote:Unfortunately, we have limited help from mainstream (tried that route) because this is essentially a home-based program and mainstream caters for the masses...
Alas, this is Singapore, and a lot of skepticism is placed on untested or untried programs

Years ago, one of the major research foundation was forced to fold and the professors were nearly jailed for an unrelated 'ground breaking' research, which was bordering on grey area, which, for the govt is a strict no-no if you are going to experiment with anything living.

If your method is proven, and accepted, acceptance is very forth coming. If not, tough luck, because unlike in other countries, there is not much suing for compensation, when things go wrong, but prison is a strong deterrent in lieu.

MP Denise is a strong supporter of special needs people, especially Autism. I have worked with her for some events. Good luck.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 1:58 pm

I think it is a genuine request and leaving aside the very bad way OPs try to get the volunteers in, they should be given some credit. This is their kid, they know him and they surely know much much more about Autism than most people around this forum. How many of the strong opposers and "advisers" even bothered to check what is the son-rise program about? Give them a break.

wenber

Post by wenber » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:09 pm

Is this for real ?

samwilfred

Post by samwilfred » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:35 pm

Yes it is. check out this blog of a mum who have been running The Son-Rise Program for her twins for more than 3 years. There are many more families in Singapore who are doing the same and who need volunteers to support them.

http://twinsonrise.com/tag/singapore/

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Volunteers required for our in-house son rise program

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:50 pm

wenber wrote:Is this for real ?
Going by your posts in other threads I hope you are not trolling this thread too.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 14 Aug 2015 2:19 am

samwilfred wrote:Yes it is. check out this blog of a mum who have been running The Son-Rise Program for her twins for more than 3 years. There are many more families in Singapore who are doing the same and who need volunteers to support them.
Can you stop spamming the forum? I think you are in the wrong place. Maybe you can pay for an advert or something.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:12 am

The message in itself is a copy paste of recommended message to enrol volunteers if parents choose a son-rise program for their child.

In itself it might lend credence that OP and message was genuine.

The idea behind son-rise is actually nicer than a lot of other autism related programs and offers rather good results, the idea being to encourage the child to communicate by joining him/her in what he/she likes to do and then once trust is built, broaden the interest.

Problem is that those programs are impossible to manage without volunteers... they are way too time consuming for parents alone to manage.

Early intervention in autism means usually at least 20 hours a week of individual therapies according to current recommendations.

Autism in Singapore...

Touchy subject :-) Like anything special needs!

A lof of services are saturated, schools like Pathlight don't even have room for all the SG citizens, PRs have no chance, let's not even talk about DPs.

It means that there is a really time sensitive race: child must be compliant with the norm enough to attend a mainstream school with minor adjustment by the time they reach P1 age, otherwise you're SOL

Joseph2708

Post by Joseph2708 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:39 am

Hi I am a Son Rise Trainer and Volunteer. I am happy to support any family . I live in the UK.
[email protected]
30 years experience and a professional person

Joseph2708

Post by Joseph2708 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 10:47 am

I am happy to come and work in HK with you and ensure your child is progressing well.
Child Psychotherapist. Nurse. Social Worker, Son Rise Therapist. Intensive interactive Therapist. Nurtured Heart Approach Therapist.
Joseph.
[email protected]

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:11 am

Joseph, please clearly declare whether what you offer is free of charge. Generally we do not allow ANY (unapproved) advertisements on this board but may consider an exception if this is pure volunteering where you don't look for any profit.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:22 am

Joseph2708 wrote:I am happy to come and work in HK with you and ensure your child is progressing well.
Child Psychotherapist. Nurse. Social Worker, Son Rise Therapist. Intensive interactive Therapist. Nurtured Heart Approach Therapist.
HK ? Or Singapore ?

Joseph2708

Post by Joseph2708 » Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:24 am

Yes this is a totally free service. Volunteer work only.
Thank you
Joseph