Singapore Expats Forum

Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby menudown » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:59 pm

Good news for those who need frequent trips across the causeway

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... l?cid=FBsg

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:28 am

why does the singapore fare have to be 5$ vs 5 MYR ? shouldn't it be 2.5$ or thereabouts?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9299
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:35 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:why does the singapore fare have to be 5$ vs 5 MYR ? shouldn't it be 2.5$ or thereabouts?

Should be 2 $ actually in today's exchange rate ..

The price is because Singaporeans can afford :roll:

KTM has similar pricing for Sin-kul train service as well.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby the lynx » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:34 am

It sucks when you pay something like SGD60 for bus ride to KL, but you pay only MYR60-90 from Malaysia.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby menudown » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 1:09 pm

wonder what's the pricing like for the future Singapore - KL High Speed Rail. they should standardize the fare based on the exchange rates

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby bgd » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 1:24 pm

menudown wrote:wonder what's the pricing like for the future Singapore - KL High Speed Rail. they should standardize the fare based on the exchange rates


I doubt that. Companies charge what they think the local market can bear. Airlines are the same, ticket prices differ depending on country of purchase.

But there are exceptions. I once bought an apple computer in NZ and when I compared the price for the same thing in the UK converted back to NZD there was only a few dollars in it.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9299
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 9:52 pm

menudown wrote:Good news for those who need frequent trips across the causeway

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... l?cid=FBsg


interestingly, it is seven times a day, not more.

When they had a trial run a few years ago, it was twice or thrice a day, as good as saying don't go ..

Most of the visitors were those going on a family visit and had a whole day or so to spend, not those who want to run and return back

And incredibly, KTM figured out there is not enough passengers and then culled it.

Now Version 2 ??

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby Brah » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:53 pm

bgd wrote:
menudown wrote:wonder what's the pricing like for the future Singapore - KL High Speed Rail. they should standardize the fare based on the exchange rates


I doubt that. Companies charge what they think the local market can bear. Airlines are the same, ticket prices differ depending on country of purchase.

But there are exceptions. I once bought an apple computer in NZ and when I compared the price for the same thing in the UK converted back to NZD there was only a few dollars in it.

I thought Apple, like Zara, had global pricing
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:07 pm

since last year I experimented with rail travel between Singapore Malaysia and Thailand and all of them to be honest have dismal train infrastructure.
I think its to do with the fact that people in ASEAN don't consider trains as a means of affordable and convenient mode of transport.
Here are some of my experiences

1. I took a train from KL to Singapore ( 11:00 pm dep KL reached Singapore 6:45 am) - worst journey in my life ever! the train journey took over 8 hours
the train stops more times than a car does for traffic lights? lol
not to mention there is no concept of non stop, express or regular service. it stops at every stop and people run up and down the length of the compartment in the night often yelling loudly.
and when the train arrives at woodlands you still need to take a bus to haul your ass to woodlands mrt only to discover you are still a good 1.0 hours away from home lol

2. penang to hatyai junction to bangkok
this was a bit better, the thai trains are nice and clean esp in the first class not sure about the others, journey time takes 9-12 hours I think, it's because of the narrow gauge tracks which limits the speed of the train and the train itself was built in the 90s but sounds like it was from the 60's and you'll wonder at some point if all the screws and the axles on the compartment will come off
this isn't a bad choice if you want to experience a slightly different way to travel and see parts of the country you normally wouldn't.

back on the topic for shuttle train services, they should be looking at a non stop or a limited stop service between Singapore and KL using the existing KTM line while dreaming about this so called high speed rail. It can at least ease the traffic congestion on the roads.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9299
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Jun 2015 12:23 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:1. I took a train from KL to Singapore ( 11:00 pm dep KL reached Singapore 6:45 am) - worst journey in my life ever! the train journey took over 8 hours
the train stops more times than a car does for traffic lights? lol
not to mention there is no concept of non stop, express or regular service. it stops at every stop and people run up and down the length of the compartment in the night often yelling loudly.
and when the train arrives at woodlands you still need to take a bus to haul your ass to woodlands mrt only to discover you are still a good 1.0 hours away from home lol


The only advantage KTM had for me was to drop off in Seramban, to visit my relatives, or to take a return train from Seramban.

And KTM is good if a person likes to stretch his legs etc, but with the double decker busses that doesn't seem attractive anymore. From what I know, lot of Malaysians stick with KTM because of the discounts.

rajagainstthemachine wrote:back on the topic for shuttle train services, they should be looking at a non stop or a limited stop service between Singapore and KL using the existing KTM line while dreaming about this so called high speed rail. It can at least ease the traffic congestion on the roads.


Well, Malaysia can extend the train to Batu Caves in no time, and build the Genting cable way and all, as long it is privately done. Once it is under the Govt, then things slow down.

And likewise, there is no chance to make the track double track.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby bgd » Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:37 am

Brah wrote:
bgd wrote:
menudown wrote:wonder what's the pricing like for the future Singapore - KL High Speed Rail. they should standardize the fare based on the exchange rates


I doubt that. Companies charge what they think the local market can bear. Airlines are the same, ticket prices differ depending on country of purchase.

But there are exceptions. I once bought an apple computer in NZ and when I compared the price for the same thing in the UK converted back to NZD there was only a few dollars in it.

I thought Apple, like Zara, had global pricing


It does, which was my point.

Apple can do that as they have products which customers will pay a premium for. Airlines, rail companies, etc, generally don't. How many Malaysians will pay Sg prices to use the train when they can pay lower Malaysian prices for buses? And why would the train company charge Malaysian prices to Singaporeans when they know that Singaporeans will pay a higher Sg price? They will price to local market conditions. Stay in Sg, pay the Sg tax.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue, 02 Jun 2015

Re: Shuttle train services between Woodlands and Johore

Postby menudown » Fri, 19 Jun 2015 11:53 am

the only advantage to take the train is to avoid the massive jam during peak hrs
I think the congestion is getting worst nowadays, partly due to the weaker RM against SG dollar :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest