Singapore Expats Forum

Carry on luggage

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Carry on luggage

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:44 am

I see from today's news the IATA is going to try and standardise carry on luggage with a new restriction of 55cm x 35cm x 20cm and future luggage items that meet the criteria with have an IATA logo on them.

On the one hand I hope they are actually going to enforce this if they do it on the other hand I am a bit peeved that my current very expensive Samsonite carry on measures 55cm x 38cm x 20cm and of course does not have the magic IATA logo.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:07 pm

Did you hear that?

The sound of a million overseas Filipinos complaining.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby bgd » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:11 pm

I had a quick read of this. The label seems incidental, it's the decrease in size which will catch many out if it's adopted. Personally I only every fly with carry on and my bag is well under the current and new sizing. No label though. ;-)

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:14 pm

nakatago wrote:Did you hear that?

The sound of a million overseas Filipinos complaining.


haha yes of course. That reminds me we sent our maid home Cebu Pacific back in March. I paid for an additional check in luggage allowance knowing she had a lot of stuff. Boy was I shocked at the airport her two suitcases weighed in at a total of 60 kilo's and I had paid for 30! Cebu Pacific charged me more than the cost of the flight in excess baggage charges.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:18 pm

bgd wrote:I had a quick read of this. The label seems incidental, it's the decrease in size which will catch many out if it's adopted. Personally I only every fly with carry on and my bag is well under the current and new sizing. No label though. ;-)


Unfortunately my carry on meets the current regs but for the new proposed regs the height and depth are OK but it is 3cm wider. It will probably be OK but there will always be that nagging doubt which means I will probably buy another case.

Mine is a hard case but I wonder how a soft case will be assessed? A soft case of the correct dimensions can expand quite a bit when packed out!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby nakatago » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:31 pm

Just don't pack your suitcase too tight so that extra 3cm can be pushed in.

I don't like being on a flight with mostly Filipinos because if I know my kind, most of them would be carrying multiple carry-ons, some of them oversized! If it can't be helped (like a cebupac flight to the Philippines), I want to be able to board right away so that I no one uses up my overhead bin.

I swear; I've seen some people with a backpack, a big purse AND a shopping bag, all carry-on...on the same flight.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby Steve1960 » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:42 pm

nakatago wrote:Just don't pack your suitcase too tight so that extra 3cm can be pushed in.

I don't like being on a flight with mostly Filipinos because if I know my kind, most of them would be carrying multiple carry-ons, some of them oversized! If it can't be helped (like a cebupac flight to the Philippines), I want to be able to board right away so that I no one uses up my overhead bin.

I swear; I've seen some people with a backpack, a big purse AND a shopping bag, all carry-on...on the same flight.


Yes, seen it many times myself. I remember the days when I was younger the fashion was to be the last person onto the plane just before boarding closed so as to spend the least possible time in that uncomfortable seat.

These days its a race to be first onto the plane to get that precious overhead locker space!!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Carry on luggage

Postby bgd » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 3:15 pm

My bag is small enough to fit under any airline seat so if I can't get locker space I'm never too concerned. I can only recall it happening once.

A friend's wife is a Filipino. He got sick of the constant repack and redistribution at the airport so starting telling her the total limit was 10kg less than actual. That way she was only ever 50% over. :-)

I used to travel to Moscow frequently. The Russians are masters at turning something the size of a small shipping container into something that resembles a suitcase with the judicious use of tape and cardboard.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest