Singapore Expats

NS after 23 years for SPR of SPR parent

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sidb

NS after 23 years for SPR of SPR parent

Post by sidb » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 6:05 pm

Hi
Need expert advise and help
My son will be turning 12 in December 2015. He is a PR from 2006. I plan to make him study in India from Class X(10th) to Class XII (12th) and then appear for entrance exams for engineering etc which is a 4 yr course. So by the end of his course he wil lbe around 22 ++ > can he do the NS after the course. what is the procedure to do it. He is at present in the local school. Being from India, I would like him to complete his 4 hrs degree after class 12th & then join NS. This will help to save his 3 yrs in terms of education

Any advise and pointers much appreciated.

Thanks Sid

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: NS after 23 years for SPR of SPR parent

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 6:31 pm

sidb wrote:Hi
My son will be turning 12 in December 2015. He is a PR from 2006. I plan to make him study in India from Class X(10th) to Class XII (12th) and then appear for entrance exams for engineering etc which is a 4 yr course. So by the end of his course he wil lbe around 22 ++ > can he do the NS after the course. what is the procedure to do it. He is at present in the local school. Being from India, I would like him to complete his 4 hrs degree after class 12th & then join NS. This will help to save his 3 yrs in terms of education

Thanks Sid
A plain simple reply

If you don't want him back in Singapore, or want to make your life miserable, stick with your plan and save 3 years :roll:

I am sure you have discussed this in detail among your fellow citizens before exploring this plan. Am I right ?

You can read up the past threads on this subject but you are going to face the wrath of Mindef,

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: NS after 23 years for SPR of SPR parent

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:56 pm

You cannot get a deferment for tertiary education from Mindef. Up through A levels only UNLESS the tertiary institution is a Singapore gazetted University. (In Singapore). If you let him stay out without an valid exit permit he will be in default and will never be able to return to Singapore, even for a visit. One more subcontinental trying to game the system and screw up his son for life in the process and giving their entire country a bad name. The latest from the gahment is that anybody who lets their son default on the NS issue will find that they will not be able to get an REP renewed when their current one expires. I think it's a good idea.

Edited: By "they" I mean the parents. Not the son. The son will always have PR until he does NS or DIES.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 11:03 pm

it's guys like these who get PR and then screw up other peoples chances PR chances! they want to have 1 foot in either boat and want the best of both worlds.
No wonder the govt is wary of giving PR's to South Asians.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 2:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You cannot get a deferment for tertiary education from Mindef
not sure if Mindef is enforcing the Bond for sons of PR ..

used to be 75K S$ bond, once the child reaches 16 years.

and found something ..

Q2. Why can't MINDEF exempt young males aged 13 to 16½ from exit controls?

Exit control measures have to be applied at a reasonably younger age so that they could be effective to prevent those who leave at a younger age defaulting on their NS responsibilities

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 8:10 am

All you had to do was search our archives in the Strictly Speaking forum for that info. It used to be from age 11.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 9:19 am

sidb wrote:Hi

Thanks Sid
I'd advise you against this. Deferment for tertiary education is not possible and it doesn't matter if he has been studying in Singapore primary/secondary schools or outside prior to that. If you must leave Singapore to India, he still needs to complete NS before he commences his tertiary education.

This is as objective answer as you can get.

sidb

Post by sidb » Thu, 11 Jun 2015 10:32 am

Thank you all for your responses.