Singapore Expats

Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
nakatago

Re: Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Post by nakatago » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 8:33 am

Have you heard about this? http://boingboing.net/2015/06/07/malays ... naked.html

As much as everything reasonable on earth I know it isn't true, I'd like to side with Malaysia about going against selfies.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Post by menudown » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 2:55 pm

Most of the survivors were saved by mountain guides instead of rescue officers, they are true heroes...

Guide who saved Singapore boy hopes to meet him to see that he's safe
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/s ... tor=CS1-10

TMD
Chatter
Chatter

Post by TMD » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 10:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The general consensus for the trek up Kinibalu is that it is suitable for a fit 10 year old. It is just a sad fact that Gaia decided to let loose a reminder of who she is and were they are. Had it not been for the unique structure at the top of the mountain, the double horns, and the subsequent collapse of one of the horns, it probably would have only resulted in some skinned knees and bruises. To now forbid class trips would be sad as there is no way it could a been prevented or known about. I guess now, the nanny state will prevent ALL trips anywhere as if they are anywhere on the pacific rim, it's all susceptible to quakes and volcanic eruptions. Heck, tremors have been felt in Singapore and walls in Bedok HDBs have cracked in years gone by.
MOE has yet to announce any ban on future excursion by students to known disaster prone region. Hell, tell me where do we find places that are risk free ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Jun 2015 10:43 pm

My whole point.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 2:25 am

TMD wrote:MOE has yet to announce any ban on future excursion by students to known disaster prone region. Hell, tell me where do we find places that are risk free ?
Play the stair climb on IPad at home ??

oh, that can go wrong, if the IPad overheats and burns the skin .. :(
menudown wrote:Most of the survivors were saved by mountain guides instead of rescue officers, they are true heroes...

Guide who saved Singapore boy hopes to meet him to see that he's safe
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/s ... tor=CS1-10
I wonder why the Malaysia's top of the range Helicopters feared to land to effect a rescue, agreed, at 10,000 feet, training plays an important part.

This was posted on a website "On 2015 Sabah earthquake, Royal Malaysia Air Force EC 725s has been despatched to Laban Rata in Mount Kinabalu to help save climbers who were stranded on the mountain and along Mi-17 to bring down dead bodies."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:16 am

I thought the thinner air closer to the summit of the moutain makes it impossible for any helicopter to reach safely.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:33 am

the lynx wrote:I thought the thinner air closer to the summit of the moutain makes it impossible for any helicopter to reach safely.
The 9k+ feet is not that high to effect a mountain rescue with the Malaysian Squirrels which excel in high altitude (yes, they do have Squirrels, AS350 and 355.,) but pilots need training, the rescue crew need training and the ground crew need training, or there maybe another disaster. Or a few victims may be sent flying literally.

I suspect nobody trained enough for a mountain rescue, so the 30 million $ was an expensive air taxi.

Everest Base camp is at 17k feet, and rescue does happen at EBC, by experienced pilots.
Last edited by ecureilx on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:34 am

according to report, the helicopters could not land due to the weather and there is no way it could have approached the victims without risking impact as it has very little power to counter the turbulence...there's also a video circulating of the helicopter dropping supplies away from the victims on the slopes

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:34 am

the lynx wrote:I thought the thinner air closer to the summit of the moutain makes it impossible for any helicopter to reach safely.
While it is true that the air becomes thinner as altitude increases, helicopters can reach very high altitudes... as much as 25,000 feet... it's really more about the capability of the engine as opposed to the ability of the rotor to provide lift. Certainly, most turbine powered helicopters could easily reach this mountain summit.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:39 am

menudown wrote:according to report, the helicopters could not land due to the weather and there is no way it could have approached the victims without risking impact as it has very little power to counter the turbulence...there's also a video circulating of the helicopter dropping supplies away from the victims on the slopes
It could have been done provided they had trained ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:40 am

Strong Eagle wrote: While it is true that the air becomes thinner as altitude increases, helicopters can reach very high altitudes... as much as 25,000 feet... it's really more about the capability of the engine as opposed to the ability of the rotor to provide lift. Certainly, most turbine powered helicopters could easily reach this mountain summit.
At 15+k feet pilots need oxygen :roll: no kidding ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:53 am

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: While it is true that the air becomes thinner as altitude increases, helicopters can reach very high altitudes... as much as 25,000 feet... it's really more about the capability of the engine as opposed to the ability of the rotor to provide lift. Certainly, most turbine powered helicopters could easily reach this mountain summit.
Actually, all you have to do is drive to the top of Pikes Peak... 14,114 feet. Grab a cup of coffee or a beer and sit a while... watch your finger nails turn blue as the oxygen in your body decreases. The rule for pilots is supplemental oxygen at 12,500 feet, full oxygen at 14,000.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Sabah Quake: 8 pupils, 2 teachers from Tanjong Katong Primary School are missing

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 6:24 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Actually, all you have to do is drive to the top of Pikes Peak... 14,114 feet. Grab a cup of coffee or a beer and sit a while... watch your finger nails turn blue as the oxygen in your body decreases. The rule for pilots is supplemental oxygen at 12,500 feet, full oxygen at 14,000.
Academic. .. the helicopters would have flown much much below the peak ...but I do agree.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:34 pm

the lynx wrote:Many Borneans believe that Aki Nabalu (the deity who ruled the mountain) was stirred to anger by the recent nude stunts pulled by a bunch of foreigners (photos got circulated in the Internet for the last two months), and hence the earthquake. Whether you believe in mythology or not (and whether this earthquake is a divine act of rage), it is always wise to respect the locals' and their culture.
Were they aware?