Singapore Expats

Flying through Singapore/ transit

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ollieevill

Flying through Singapore/ transit

Post by ollieevill » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 6:28 pm

Hi all,

I am a 23 year old young professional currently living in London.

I was born in Singapore and migrated to New Zealand between the age of 13-14.

I now have a British passport and New Zealand passport/citizenship and my Singapore passport is expired. However i have not renounced my Singaporean citizenship or done my national service.

My question is, Can i fly through Singapore on the way to New Zealand using my British passport via transit if I have not done my National Service or renounced my Singaporean citizenship?

Can I visit Singapore on a different passport ? Or will i get locked up for not doing my National service

Many thanks,
Ollie Evill

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Flying through Singapore/ transit

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 7:59 pm

Why do you want to risk it?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 8:46 pm

You would be a fool to chance it. All it would take is for the flight to be delayed for overnight and you having to clear immigration. With the combined databases and the information contained in your passport, how hard do you think it would be to figure out, based on your race (of which I have no clue but think of the numbers), your date of birth & age & name. Your place of birth will be noted as Singapore and once cross checked, how hard do you think it will be? All the major databases in Singapore are all linked now. That and the information from the births & deaths database, mindef database will all go towards cutting down the numbers of your race & age/DOB to probably a single digit. Especially if you look/are Asian and were born here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ollieevill

Post by ollieevill » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I am more curious around the fact that given my situation will I ever be able to visit Singapore again ?

Will I be able to renounce my citizenship without doing NS ? Even though i left when i was 13?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:43 pm

Regarding your first question, not likely.

As for your second, NO. I would suggest that you spend some time (a week perhaps) in our "Strictly Speaking" sub-forum under the General Forum and read the many threads-both good endings and bad endings and general knowledge contributed by Mad Scientist, myself, and a number of others who have all been affected by these rules and roadblocks. I'd start with the thread with an excellent blow by blow by an old regular who goes by kraikk. He took the trouble to try to consolidate a lot of the info we all contributed and we made a sticky thread out of it. These threads are many pages long so give yourself a week to read and digest.

Here is the starter thread.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=61423

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: As for your second, NO.
Straight to the point =D> =D>

I wish there was a Like icon ..

ollieevill

Post by ollieevill » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 2:24 am

Thank you very much for all your comments.

I will most definitely give the said thread a good read through.

I understand you guys must get a lot of topics from users that don't read through threads that already exisit. Me being on of them. For that i apologise

Many thanks
OE

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 5:30 am

You don't have to apologize to a bunch of foreigners living on the island.
Maybe to your countrymen yes, but you aren't the first and not the last one.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 6:43 am

In the long run, ollieevill, the question comes down to "what is the best course of action I can take to preserve my options for the future?" As SMS has pointed out, you are at risk. It may be that because of your heritage, a career in SE Asia/New Zealand/AU is in the cards for you.

Were it I, I'd look at the best way to ensure that my obligations were fulfilled in order to avoid restricting my ability to fly, live, and work in the fastest growing part of the globe.