Singapore Expats

Chinese Ship sinks with 450 people on board

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chinese Ship sinks with 450 people on board

Post by joop » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:11 am

The ship sank with 450 people on board on the Yangtze River. 8 people had been rescued so far.

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/world/chi ... ar-BBkxODA
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Chinese Ship sinks with 450 people on board

Post by menudown » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:12 pm

My thoughts are with the victims. I hope they can find safety
based on report the cyclone was not a surprise..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:22 pm

Latest I heard was there there were still people alive inside of the capsized ferry. Mostly elderly. Rough.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:35 pm

I didn't know rivers were big enough to carry a ship of 400 people. I don't think India has such huge rivers.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:34 pm

And so far only 15 survivors..
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:47 pm

I heard that they can hear others still inside the capsized ferry. Hopefully they will be able to gain access just below the waterline to be able to pull them out. Cannot cut above the waterline as it will release the remaining air trapped in the hull.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:48 pm

Wd40 wrote:I didn't know rivers were big enough to carry a ship of 400 people. I don't think India has such huge rivers.
Yangtze is big ..

Closer to home the port of Chittagong is located at the mouth of a River

And in US alone, a lot of large ports are located up-river.

SMS, thinking aloud, why isn't there some solution to lift up such ships, like the MV Sewol- quick deployed, instead of seeing the ship sink ?

Recently there was a tug that sank in Yangtze, nobody could do anything when it capsized

http://gcaptain.com/china-confirms-21-d ... gtze-river

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:52 pm

Depends on where on the river it is. Don't forget, the Yangtze is partially damned up. Also, depends on currents. Having the equipment nearby is also a problem. China is a big country. Heavy lift barges the the Thor are few and far between. I have my doubts whether they even have a heavy lift crane barge with that capability and if they do, it's not something quickly deployed. What they would really need is something like the $100 Million Versabar 10000.

http://ns1.iliketowastemytime.com/versa ... ig-remover

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: RE: Re: Chinese Ship sinks with 450 people on board

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I heard that they can hear others still inside the capsized ferry. Hopefully they will be able to gain access just below the waterline to be able to pull them out. Cannot cut above the waterline as it will release the remaining air trapped in the hull.
I didn't know you can't cut above the waterline on the hull for capsized ship. Why is that?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Chinese Ship sinks with 450 people on board

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:09 am

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I heard that they can hear others still inside the capsized ferry. Hopefully they will be able to gain access just below the waterline to be able to pull them out. Cannot cut above the waterline as it will release the remaining air trapped in the hull.
I didn't know you can't cut above the waterline on the hull for capsized ship. Why is that?
If the vessel is not resting on the sea floor, any opening will sink it.

A miracle story ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... agedy.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 1:00 pm

Not true, squirrel. Maybe you are confusing what I mean by water line. Not the line between the upper sides of the vessel and the bottom paint. The waterline on any vessel that is afloat is the point where the air/water interface meets. If the vessel has capsized then the waterline will be any portion of the vessel beneath the surface of the water, but you have to be careful by soundings on the sides to find out how high the water is "inside" the vessel so as to cut an entrance below that level. If cutting above that level then any air in that compartment will escape. by going just below that level, the air remains and the people can be extricated with scuba tanks with spider rigs on them. The only time you can cut a hole directly in the hull bottom is if that particular chamber is sealed off from the rest of the ship, or the water level in the other compartments are above the door way hatches, which doesn't leave too much space unless the internal deck grating has been displaced. If the vessel has sank in an upright position, there is a possibility of air pockets in any chamber that doesn't have any vents to adjoining chambers above the door hatchways.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 2:56 pm

Wd40 wrote:I didn't know rivers were big enough to carry a ship of 400 people. I don't think India has such huge rivers.
I took a ferry from HK to Guangzhou via the Pearl River, an overnight and not particularly pleasant journey. It wouldn't surprise me if there were that many people onboard.
During my stay I could view over the docks/river from my hotel room, and there were some significantly larger passenger vessels moored up than the one I took. Even at that point c60 miles up-river (refer: 'White Swan Hotel, on Google Maps), the river is about 600M across.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 4:26 pm

A very quick Google (if you didn't take primary school geography) would show that it is the third largest river in the world. The two larger ones aren't in India, so no. It doesn't. :)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 4:28 pm

SMS, just read today they did shut down the water flow through the Three Gorges dam and have lowered the river level enough to begin to expose the hull.

This is China though, so expect accurate and factual reporting about the incident to be minimal.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Jun 2015 9:32 am

zzm9980 wrote:SMS, just read today they did shut down the water flow through the Three Gorges dam and have lowered the river level enough to begin to expose the hull.

This is China though, so expect accurate and factual reporting about the incident to be minimal.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."