Singapore Expats

Inspirations For Today

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Inspirations For Today

Post by JR8 » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 3:50 pm

--------------
EF quoting:
The animals had rights -- the right of man's protection, the right to live, the right to multiply, the right to freedom, and the right to man's indebtedness -- and in recognition of these rights the Lakota never enslaved an animal and spared all life that was not needed for food and clothing. For the animal and bird world there existed a brotherly feeling that kept the Lakota safe among them.
--------------
earthfriendly wrote: Beau...........................tiful and life-giving.
The Lakota were one of early-adopters of the horse culture. They 'enslaved' their horses, and I don't expect the horses felt particularly 'brotherly' about that :)
earthfriendly wrote:We had two pet parakeets, Mystery and Harmony. After Mystery died, decided not to get Harmony another mate. Putting living things in cage, for the amusement of my kids, was a decision I came to regret.
Parrots are expensive and messy, caged parrots also can't and don't 'do much'. A lack of brotherliness perhaps ;)
I wouldn't keep caged birds either, as any benefit only seems to flow one way (to the owner). If you made it less 1-way and say let the bird out of it's cage for a while odds on a) it would fly around your home pooing on the furniture and/or b) find an open window and exit perhaps never to return.
earthfriendly wrote:This summer when I ask my daughter if she would like to visit the zoo, she said "why would I want to pay money to see animals in cages?"
[/quote]

Perhaps she was afraid of how you'd react if she confessed to having an interest in going? :twisted:
I think responsible zoo-keeping serves a valuable purpose. It gives people, especially the young, and especially urban-dwellers a chance to encounter animals they otherwise never would, and learn about their respective roles in the ecosystem and the importance of their conservation. I expect a young person is better able to comprehend why tigers and sharks (etcetc) matter if they have ever had the opportunity to encounter these creatures close-up.
Also many responsible zoos maintain important research and breeding programmes. Where for example would the Giant Panda be without them?

Of course others zoos/aquaria can put profit before any thought of welfare, education, or fruitful research. Like Resort World Sentosa putting a whale-shark (endangered species) in a tank; money-spinning due to the ignorant who would pay to go, but am imminent death-sentence on the fish.

@Nak. Yes, I know some people especially current or former dive-guides who have developed what to a non-diver might seem like an inexplicable emotional affinity or bond with fish, and other sea life. They'll politely excuse themselves from a dining table if others choose to eat it, perhaps in a similar way that I would if I were in circumstances where others wished to eat dog.
Believe it or not fish species have distinct personalities, and within each species 'they are individuals'. They have families, and homes and gardens which they tend. An experienced guide knows precisely where to go and (likely) find a fish that lives on a dive-site. You could say that each fish is a 'useful member of marine society'.
That said I'm fine with eating sea-food if it's sustainable and responsibly sourced. But walking past the windows of live fish outside Chinese restaurants does get to me, in the same way as seeing a dog mistreated.

[Plus if you have had the pleasure of observing the likes of say grouper, snapper etc in the wild, you can immediately see how diseased and toxic-looking the ones in restaurant tanks are. Putting personal values aside for a moment, you wouldn't wish to eat one on the grounds of risk to personal health].
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 07 Oct 2015 11:15 pm

[quote="JR8"
Parrots are expensive and messy, caged parrots also can't and don't 'do much'. A lack of brotherliness perhaps ;)
I wouldn't keep caged birds either, as any benefit only seems to flow one way (to the owner). If you made it less 1-way and say let the bird out of it's cage for a while odds on a) it would fly around your home pooing on the furniture and/or b) find an open window and exit perhaps never to return.
Therein lies the problem. I don't like having the birds out and pooing around the house. And one of them prefers the security of the cage and it takes a bit of coaxing to encourage it to go out and explore :mrgreen: .

Parakeets are small and rather inexpensive. We got ours from the pet store. After one died, I did a research and found out that pet store birds are bred unhealthily, lowering their chance for survival. Anyway, when it comes to birds, I think it is nicer to admire them in their natural environment, where they roam free.

Speaking about birds, there is a thriving singing bird hobbyists in SG. It is quite fascinating. The grooming and the bond between the pets and their owners.

No lah, my daughter is quite the irreverent one.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:35 pm

Very touching. An author and his art. His affection for his fans, readers and other people. The camaradarie between humans triumphs an award, "a thing". Five tissues.

The author doesn’t really respect the whole secretive Nobel Prize selection process and that it’s a committee decision and not a popular vote.

It’s not just the Nobel Prize he’s against though, he doesn’t care to fuss over any award:

“The most valuable thing of all are good readers. Whatever prize, decoration, or favorable review I get, compared to the people who use their own money to go out and buy my books, [the prizes] hold no meaning.”

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/12/n ... care-less/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:45 pm

earthfriendly wrote:
It’s not just the Nobel Prize he’s against though, he doesn’t care to fuss over any award: “[the prizes] hold no meaning.”

Noble indeed...
---
'This year, for the tenth year in a row, Japanese author Haruki Murakami was speculated to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, and for the tenth year in a row, despite having the best odds, he didn’t win.
---

In his shoes I'd likely feel the same way about the merits of winning... :)

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:19 am

Hey JRB, you are great too. Just like Murakami.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:39 am

mwahaha, another incident of an animal not acting like one. It is just more comfortable and easier to stay indoor and laze around :D .

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/10/19/n ... -about-it/

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 5:12 am

I Am Not Here To Fix You (A Poem)

I am not here to entertain you
I am not here to fix you
I am not here to rescue, heal or revive you
I am not here to be talked at
I am not here to give you all my energy
I am not here to make your story my own
I am not here to just listen
I am not here to make you whole
I am not here to make you happy
I am not here to make it all dissipate
I am not here to distract you from the tedious and mundane
I am not here to mask your sadness and feed your insecure heart
I am not here to hold your hand
I am not here to be a band aid
I am not here to give you all of me

I am here to love you strongly
I am here to love you equally
I am here to be an addition to the joy you already have
I am here to rest in, but not collapse into
I am here to support you, hear you, see you
I am here to make love to you
I am here to love you sweetly and gently and ferociously
I am here to make stories with you
I am here to challenge you
I am here to grow beside you

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 4:04 pm

Good grief... I hope my wife doesn't see this! :o :wink: :lol:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 21 Nov 2015 9:35 am

I won't say a world. Shhhhhh........

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 15 Dec 2015 11:31 am

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1642136739

http://omeleto.com/218986/

Both stories appear on my feed
So please take your pick
Do you prefer a Keurig
Or a world without landfill

Hey,it kindof rhymes. Wonder if there is a poetry competition in my home town :-k . We prefer the single serve coffee machine. Of a different brand thou. Since only one person drinks (homemade) coffee. I pre-emptively forbid anyone from criticizing my family's (coffee) lifestyle :P .

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 2:55 am

Yes, please. Make me invisible. So I can roam free and large, unnoticed :love: .
Leave greatness to others.

Become so small
That no one can see you.
https://www.facebook.com/11484956524158 ... =3&theater

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 5:42 am

earthfriendly wrote:Yes, please. Make me invisible. So I can roam free and large, unnoticed :love: .
Leave greatness to others.

Become so small
That no one can see you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Dec 2015 8:21 am

earthfriendly wrote:Yes, please. Make me invisible. So I can roam free and large, unnoticed :love: .
It's here:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ucp.php?i=174
and you have to say "Yes" under Hide my online status.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 28 Dec 2015 1:58 am

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 29 Dec 2015 5:32 am

I am rubbing my belly. Full and rounded :P . From downing a tamale drizzled with salsa.

"We are never more than one grateful thought away from peace of heart."

https://theconsciousprocess.wordpress.c ... gratitude/