Singapore Expats

Help, relocating in September but don't know where to start!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
LisafromUK

Help, relocating in September but don't know where to start!

Post by LisafromUK » Sun, 31 May 2015 3:41 pm

HI All

My husband and I are relocating to Singapore from London this September, but will be in Singapore for a week next month to look for properties. He has delegated to me the task of looking for our permanent residence in Singapore, we both prefer modern facilities and fully furnished apartment/condo as long as it's not high rise, we are adaptable to either city living or sub-urban, my husband will be provided a car and his office is in Jurong East area, so we will need a car park space. And last thing is I don't want to be tied in long lease terms.

I need help as I don't know the process of renting in Singapore. Do i need to hire an agent?How do I spot refutable agents?

nakatago

Re: Help, relocating in September but don't know where to start!

Post by nakatago » Mon, 01 Jun 2015 11:44 am

LisafromUK wrote:HI All

My husband and I are relocating to Singapore from London this September, but will be in Singapore for a week next month to look for properties. He has delegated to me the task of looking for our permanent residence in Singapore, we both prefer modern facilities and fully furnished apartment/condo as long as it's not high rise, we are adaptable to either city living or sub-urban, my husband will be provided a car and his office is in Jurong East area, so we will need a car park space. And last thing is I don't want to be tied in long lease terms.

I need help as I don't know the process of renting in Singapore. Do i need to hire an agent?How do I spot refutable agents?
Start by searching for threads (upper right hand corner, "Search website") of other people asking about their relocation. Those should give you a good idea of which questions to ask (and which have already been answered). The more you know, the more specific questions you can ask and the more concrete mental picture you'll have.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 01 Jun 2015 12:49 pm

Top-hole Lisa,
Is your trip here paid for by the employer? I.e. a ‘pre-location recce’ of sorts? => Visit the office, meet the colleagues, get a pre-briefing on the assignment, and so on?
Is the employer guiding you to find and enter into a contract for a home here during the trip next month? I ask as one week isn’t long at all even if you know this place. Especially if you haven’t an agent yet. And finding a place next month ready to move right into in September wouldn’t help your cause much either, as IME property isn’t advertised much before say 6 weeks before availability.
No agent, and finding a place next month for September... that would sound a little like you’re being thrown in at an unnecessarily deep-end.

Put it like this; this was my experience. It used to be ‘the way’ things worked for an expat relo, but of course various offers/packages all vary:
When you are offered the relo, they send you on a pre-relo trip.
- You visit the office, meet the potential colleagues (and get taken out for F+B, part of a bit of a charm offensive), and get some time to wonder around downtown and get a feel for the place.
- If you then agree the relo, the relo contract is signed and a move date given.
- When you move, you used to typically spend a month in a Serviced Apartment, on T+E/expenses, probably somewhere convenient for work.
- The working spouse is expected to hit the ground running, so will be at it all hours.
- During that time HR nominated a lettings agent for you (at their expense), via whom you went out and viewed candidate properties. The plan was that these properties were either already vacant, or very soon to become vacant, so they’d be vacant at the point you had to vacate the serviced apartment.
- Then you’d move from the serviced apartment to your new home, and hopefully that would coincide closely with your freight arriving from back home.

So main questions I suppose:-
- a) Is HR engaging an agent on your behalf?
- b) Will you be put up in a serviced apartment when you initially relo here in September?
- c) Is the employer paying the rent as a separate ‘line item’ within the relo package, and will the contract be taken out in their name?

Because:-
a) I think you’d be better off having your own agent, to represent your interests (esp. as a stranger in a strange land)
b) If so, you don’t need to think about entering a contract on your trip, having narrowed down some neighbourhoods, you can use the time to go and visit them and see how you feel about them.
c) The contract in their name protects you from the risk of the landlord messing you about.

You might also want to read this:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=101985
‘GUIDE: Where should I/we consider living?’

and this one might be worth some thought at this stage too...
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=103156
‘[FAQ] Relocating? What to Bring To Singapore’

p.s. Welcome to the forum!
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

LisafromUK

Post by LisafromUK » Sat, 06 Jun 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you nakatago and JR8 for your fantastic tips, to answer your questions, the trip in July will be company paid, flights and hotel, but come Sept, my husband will be just given a salary including rent money in cash, and it will be down to us to look for the place where we want to live. I have read all the threads about renting and relocation, and to be honest some of them seems to be have or had a horrible stories to tell!

I will keep on reading posts on this forum for good tips!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 06 Jun 2015 9:12 pm

Don't fret too much. The topics where 'rental experience' get discussed are... er, a bit self-selecting, in that most people don't post to say their experience was fine, and as expected. By definition people posting about their rental/tenancy have a material problem to start with.
You'd still probably be wise though to read some of the recent ones, so you understand some of the local ways and nuances, and are fore-warned as to what can potentially go awry.
p.s. We're on our 3rd place, and no problems of any note to report yet, touch wood.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 6:33 pm

@Iamtaitai

You are soliciting on a forum hosted and funded by a SGn realtor. Carry on like this and your tenure here might be quite brief.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Jun 2015 8:49 pm

JR8 wrote:@Iamtaitai

You are soliciting on a forum hosted and funded by a SGn realtor. Carry on like this and your tenure here might be quite brief.
Indeed, his tenure was quite brief.