Singapore Expats

Man Shot Dead Near Shangri-La Hotel Singapore

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Man Shot Dead Near Shangri-La Hotel Singapore

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:05 am

its big news in SG, right

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:19 am

Primrose Hill wrote:its big news in SG, right
Nobody in the office has mentioned it ....

Maybe it hasnt made it to the heartlands!! :o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Man Shot Dead Near Shangri-La Hotel Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 1:30 pm

Apparently the dead fellows wife is crying foul, for the cops heavy handedness ...

She was hoping the husband would have been asked to join for a Teh Tarik instead of a bullet.

I can't confirm but long time ago I heard the story of a cop who was dismissed for firing in the air to break up a unruly coffee shop when the situation didn't warrant it, it had been concluded. That's how serious discharging firearms is treated if true.

The Lynx, it was a smart, guided bullet bullet, under trial by SPF ... trust me on this :p ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 2:17 pm

I believe the last time a police officer drew his weapon to kill was in 2008 when a guy ran amok and came at the officer with a metal rod/rebar after slashing somebody with a parang or something like that. I remember it happening, and the guy was hit with the first bullet and he kept coming so then the policeman fired to kill, firing 4 shots all together. Lot of inquiry went into the case to absolve the officer of any dereliction of duty.

Edit: This was a single shot in Outram Park. The one I was talking about happened in 2002 and while the guy was shot, he survived. Got the details between the two and the date all messed up. But it doesn't happen very often (shootings, that is, not me getting messed up) :-|

http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne+Ne ... 53088.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Man Shot Dead Near Shangri-La Hotel Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 3:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I believe the last time a police officer drew his weapon to kill was in 2008 when a guy ran amok and came at the officer with a metal rod/rebar after slashing somebody with a parang or something like that. I remember it happening, and the guy was hit with the first bullet and he kept coming so then the policeman fired to kill, firing 4 shots all together. Lot of inquiry went into the case to absolve the officer of any dereliction of duty.
And uniform cops are still carrying revolvers ...

Others/plain clothes/CNB do have pistols and MPs.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I remember it happening, and the guy was hit with the first bullet and he kept coming so then the policeman fired to kill, firing 4 shots all together.
...and while the guy was shot, he survived.
I think this is an example of how real-life is not as often shown in the movies. I've a couple of friends in or ex-military and I remember being quite surprised learning that it's possible to 'empty a clip' of 9mm into someone and still not kill them.

So it suggests to me that either the cop was incredibly lucky with a single shot from a service issue handgun, or the shot came from something materially bigger.

p.s/@Ecu. I understand that 'laser-guided' (i.e. ability to adjust trajectory whilst in-flight) ammo only work over a significantly longer range than was the case here.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 5:08 pm

I like Lynx's sniper idea. That's straight out of the movies.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 7:23 pm

bgd wrote:I like Lynx's sniper idea. That's straight out of the movies.
No grassy knolls though....
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 8:32 pm

Plenty of hi-rise buildings and Gurka snipers though. What more do you need. The SPF were at the barricades so there isn't much way for them to put a bullet through the windscreen unless they were further down the road and higher up than ground level, at that height in the windscreen it would most probably missed the driver. A downward trajectory was needed. There were plenty of Gurka's about as well. For that high level of a meeting/conference, I would have had a second line and a third line of defense as well. Only makes sense. But I doubt you will see it in the papers. They already contradicted themselves when they said the policemen (plural) opened fire (meaning more than one) but only one bullet hole entering the vehicle from the front?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:11 pm

Well quite. I read (somewhere) that the fatality was shot in the chest, but with the entry hole in the windscreen that high up, I don't see how unless it came from greater elevation. If in due course it's published that the injured guy in the back got shot in the legs ... there you go.

Sounds to me like (and I'm just trying to make sense of the known facts) snipers on more distant roof-tops would make more sense, bigger calibre, probably laser-targeting/tracking, and perhaps in-flight trajectory adjusting ammo. Perhaps each car stopped at the checkpoint received similar 'lock-on', until cleared by the police on the ground.

p.s. FWIW continuing my earlier anecdote, I now also recall one of those friends describing an enemy (likely the Falklands War) having perhaps a dozen 9mm rounds put in him. They then approached to 'clear' the body, and the guy sat up and and pleaded for his mother...

Edit/add: I'd remembered this anecdote as the victim asking for water, but I asked my friend and he said no, the guy was begging for his mother. The other outline details re: calibre/no. rounds are correct. I can't even begin to imagine...
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 03 Jun 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter

Post by calugaruvaxile » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:04 pm

JR8 wrote: So it suggests to me that either the cop was incredibly lucky with a single shot from a service issue handgun, or the shot came from something materially bigger.
occam's razor says that there were probably multiple shots, fired in the moment when the driver hit some barricades and slowed down almost to a stop. probably the car spun, then slowed down facing the police guy - who just got scared that the car may ram him, got the gun out and emptied the clip in the general direction of the windscreen. at least one bullet hit the target.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:37 pm

Firing off shots at ground level in a residential neighbourhood, and those shots having an unknown stopping point... hmmm. I'm not sure the risk of sending bullets off through posh neighbours windows would be part of an acceptable pre-plan.

Just my 2c of course... anyway who knows...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:44 pm

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singap ... -hotel-201

http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/p ... a-shooting

I reckon it had to be a shooter from behind and above the SPF at the barricade at Orange Grove Road as had they hit the driver with a head shot directly after breaking through the first barrier, I doubt that the driver would have been able to make it 80% of the way down to Orange Grove Road. I reckon at the point just before he swerved off the right side of the road is where he was taken out. by an unknown shooter (giving credit to the SPF). Hopefully the authorities will give due credit to who deserves it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:53 pm

JR8 wrote:Well quite. I read (somewhere) that the fatality was shot in the chest, but with the entry hole in the windscreen that high up, I don't see how unless it came from greater elevation. If in due course it's published that the injured guy in the back got shot in the legs ... there you go.
There was a picture floating around, of the Impreza, with some bullet holes in the boot, which, if the boot was closed, may have come from the sky .. Drone ?? :P But if the boot was opened, when the driver decided to try a runner, it is possible to have got the holes
JR8 wrote: Sounds to me like (and I'm just trying to make sense of the known facts) snipers on more distant roof-tops would make more sense, bigger calibre, probably laser-targeting/tracking, and perhaps in-flight trajectory adjusting ammo. Perhaps each car stopped at the checkpoint received similar 'lock-on', until cleared by the police on the ground.
Again, considering the amount of $ Singapore spends in Defense research, it's quite possible :D :D
JR8 wrote:p.s. FWIW continuing my earlier anecdote, I now also recall one of those friends describing an enemy (likely the Falklands War) having perhaps a dozen 9mm rounds put in him. They then approached to 'clear' the body, and the guy sat up and and pleaded for water...
Well, too many guys see movies, where a single shot kills the guy (in English movies) but Indian movies have disproved this long time ago. If the Hero gets shot, after a dozen bullets in his heart, he can still shoot back, sing a dying song and then after waiting for his lover/mother/whoever, will breathe his last, or be saved ..

:-k :-k
calugaruvaxile wrote: occam's razor says that there were probably multiple shots, fired in the moment when the driver hit some barricades and slowed down almost to a stop. probably the car spun, then slowed down facing the police guy - who just got scared that the car may ram him, got the gun out and emptied the clip in the general direction of the windscreen. at least one bullet hit the target.
Errr, if you read my post before, you would have noticed, most SG Cops are issued revolvers. Only those Gurkha and Special ops are issued guns with "CLIPS" .. Or I maybe wrong ..

And revolvers are not wildly accurate - somebody disprove me ..

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:59 pm

I saw those holes but they didn't look like bullet holes but more like the mounting holes for a rear mounted spoiler often mounted on the back of Imprezas.