Singapore Expats

Forum has become so quiet

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Re: Forum has become so quiet

Post by chris_pilgrim » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 12:18 pm

hi @sunday :wave: Happy Father's Day! going out for celebration with your family?

... and guess what.. I've got another 6 more months before heading back home :D
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 3:56 pm

Thank you for the wishes. My wife is making me a large pot of Chili Crab (the best in Singapore that I've found in 33 years) and my kids and later to be this year, grandkid are coming home for a chili crab feast. I'm planning on going back home as well in around 3 months but only for 18 days to go to
my 50th class reunion. Think you will miss Singapore after you are gone?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 8:28 pm

@sunday. home cooked Singapore's chilli crab!! lucky dude!! i love the chilli crab gravy but the crab is too messy to eat. (This is one singapore's dish that I have yet to master on how to enjoy :D :D )

i reckon i will miss some of Singapore.

after 18 months here, i can gel with the locals pretty well. I know where to get cheap stuff - Giant, Sheng Siong and at Chinatown for cheap toiletries. also, the mosquitoes don't bite me anymore :D !!!

one thing i am still not comfortable with is the working attitudes of the local bosses. for example, my boss. she knows that my contract is ending in 6 months time, she is piling piles of project/research for me to complete :???: ... (like what the locals say, "why so kiasu...?")
It is better to believe than to disbelieve. in doing, you bring everything to the realm of possibility.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Forum has become so quiet

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 21 Jun 2015 10:49 pm

chris_pilgrim wrote:
one thing i am still not comfortable with is the working attitudes of the local bosses. for example, my boss. she knows that my contract is ending in 6 months time, she is piling piles of project/research for me to complete :???: ... (like what the locals say, "why so kiasu...?")
The idea is, with work piled up, you may feel obligated to extend when asked... because most folks are assumed that they feel bad to leave a company with outstanding work ..

And when you leave you can be reminded of unfinished business..

When reality says otherwise ...

And smarter local folks change their phone number as soon as they leave knowing most ex bosses have no qualms ringing ex staff for help, and requesting them to guide new staff..

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:22 am

@ecureilx. thanks for telling me this.
ecureilx wrote:The idea is, with work piled up, you may feel obligated to extend when asked... because most folks are assumed that they feel bad to leave a company with outstanding work ..

And when you leave you can be reminded of unfinished business..

When reality says otherwise ...

And smarter local folks change their phone number as soon as they leave knowing most ex bosses have no qualms ringing ex staff for help, and requesting them to guide new staff..
goodness gracious these locals peeps can be so bloody petty :o (not saying that the foreign ones are perfect angels, i've met my fair share of no-good ones too :? )

surely i would do a proper handover when my end is near but now, with this constant piling of work, it really pisses me off big time :x

like this week, i am enjoying my 5 days annual holiday but guess what, my dear Ms Boss put me on a 2-day workshop which i do not need it and did not ask for. now i wonder if these two days are 'eaten up' as part of my leave or ...... :???:

oops sorry for the rant :oops: .. and so..these are some of the funny work culture of sg that i think i would gladly leave behind.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 10:38 am

Did you inform them 6 months in advance that you are going to quit or not have your contract renewed? If yes its a very bad thing to do. IMO once you have made the other party know about your intentions to quit, the sooner you leave the better it is.

chris_pilgrim
Regular
Regular

Post by chris_pilgrim » Mon, 22 Jun 2015 11:15 am

@Wd40. i have a 2 year employment contract. the centre is aware of my contract's end date and they're aware that i have no intention of renewing.

my motto: I came, I worked, I am leaving :)