Singapore Expats

Forum has become so quiet

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: Forum has become so quiet

Post by Brah » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 7:57 am

x9200 wrote:
Brah wrote:Myself, last two months pretty busy, tired and not posting that frequently. Some "fresher" regulars also left Singapore (e.g. Beeroclock).

This "wave" causes IMHO a second wave and we don't see other regulars posting that frequently (duiran, Scoobydoes, Hanniroo, taxico, PNGMK...) but they may have their own and different reasons.

On top of this there also seems limited "intake" of the new posters but frankly, I don't think it is very much related to the "aggressive" behaviour.
I have wondered if there are new forums keeping people busy. I know I started to branch out to non-Singapore forums for places I'm considering moving to, but then it all got to be too much and I struggled to keep up posting in multiple places.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 9:54 am

singapore eagle wrote:OK, I genuinely offer this in a constructive spirit...

Many of you regulars come across as very, shall we say, aggressive. This isn't always the case and there are some notable exceptions - e.g. JR8 and Strong Eagle (most of the time, anyway). I haven't posted very much since I joined, and in part this is because I remember one thread where I contributed some helpful information only to be accused of various different things.

It becomes apparent quite quickly when you join that the board is frequented mainly by older males whose first language is English. It's perhaps not a surprise that this leads to less traffic than you might expect from a Singapore Expats Forum.
As usual, I'm just a long-haired hippy, who loves being vegan and carnivore at the same time, wishing for world peace, loving mainstream music, and is too afraid to be controversial here.
Last edited by the lynx on Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:21 am

@SMS. I used to post on 'The Angry Board' long before I knew this oasis of calm existed. So when I joined here, I suppose by default I was expecting a similar'ish underlying combative tone. It's a shame, as there are some wise old-timers over there, but they get drowned out by the spam, local haters, and local $talkers who think they've landed in a honey-pot for sales to gullible expats. I quit that place because the latter completely drowned out the former, and yes I was tired of all the hating there. That's why I try to report spam, and potential trouble looming here, as I've seen how destructive it is. [and thx for your kind words].

BTW re: the forum being a bit quiet, I was quite struck this morning by how relatively little traffic there is on the nearby lorong. There's usually a looong tailback from the junction every morning around 8.30am, but this morning nothing. Also there were noticeably less people down at the pool this w/e, whereas it's usually a zoo on weekends, and less people visible at the other facilities. I'm thinking that what with a holiday yesterday, quite a lot of people are 'bridging' that into taking the week off and holidaying. And those who aren't away, are busy covering for those who are.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:45 am

I dont post as much as I used to. I tend to post only on subjects that maybe of interest to me.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 10:53 am

The thing with music that gets posted is you don't know it's significance to the poster. If I post something like Muse it's because I find them creative, original and I like their sound, and figure maybe someone else might too. If others are dismissive, so what, I don't care.
If however I post something of say the punk or new wave eras, (particularly bands like The Stranglers) it's likely of greater significance to me, and it was likely part of the background music during my formative years. Outright insult or dismiss it, and... er, well, it's not quite insulting my mother, but there's a risk it will be taken far more personally, almost like someone is insulting a facet of one's identity. And the trouble is when say I post either of the above (or all the other bands) people don't know whether it's a band of passing interest, or a minor er, almost part of my identity ... hence the risk of a spat getting stoked. And I expect it's the same for everyone else posting in that topic, it's a bit of a minefield :lol:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 11:29 am

JR8 wrote: BTW re: the forum being a bit quiet, I was quite struck this morning by how relatively little traffic there is on the nearby lorong. There's usually a looong tailback from the junction every morning around 8.30am, but this morning nothing. Also there were noticeably less people down at the pool this w/e, whereas it's usually a zoo on weekends, and less people visible at the other facilities. I'm thinking that what with a holiday yesterday, quite a lot of people are 'bridging' that into taking the week off and holidaying. And those who aren't away, are busy covering for those who are.
The lack of traffic is due to the start of the School Holidays. It was a breeze coming to work this morning as well. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 1:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
The lack of traffic is due to the start of the School Holidays. It was a breeze coming to work this morning as well. :cool:
Roads are empty and the malls are full - good time of year. :D

(I'm not a big mall user :) )

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The lack of traffic is due to the start of the School Holidays. It was a breeze coming to work this morning as well. :cool:
Ohhhh, well 'case closed' then, that answers it :)
I'd earlier discounted that since there were schoolchildren walking to school as usual this morning, and when I walked past their basketball courts this pm the flags there were hoisted also.
p.s. Side-thought: Do schools provide something akin to 'daycare' facilities during the holidays?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Jun 2015 4:47 pm

ECAs (Extra Curricular Activities), Remedial classes, Uniformed Groups, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 7:21 am

Brah wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Brahs only aggressive if people don't like certain bands, I on the other hand cant be bothered with getting angry with stupid people who ask the most obvious question without having done the basic research on the internet and expect people here to spoon feed them.
Raj I really don't think so and I don't care what others don't like unless the opinion comes back as disparaging or inaccurate or stereotypical, if I can use a double-negative; if I was aggressive it was for a different reason.

Or were maybe you TTP. Either way not worth backtracking and opening it up again.

+1 SE
i was joking man, if you didn't get it already, :mrgreen:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 7:23 am

the lynx wrote:
singapore eagle wrote:OK, I genuinely offer this in a constructive spirit...

Many of you regulars come across as very, shall we say, aggressive. This isn't always the case and there are some notable exceptions - e.g. JR8 and Strong Eagle (most of the time, anyway). I haven't posted very much since I joined, and in part this is because I remember one thread where I contributed some helpful information only to be accused of various different things.

It becomes apparent quite quickly when you join that the board is frequented mainly by older males whose first language is English. It's perhaps not a surprise that this leads to less traffic than you might expect from a Singapore Expats Forum.
As usual, I'm just a long-haired hippy, who loves being vegan and carnivore at the same time, wishing for world peace, loving mainstream music, and is too afraid to be controversial here.
we can't be friends anymore :?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 9:09 am

I like aggressive comments (facts) directed at me. Helps me realise who I am (am not).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 4:09 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, I am not talking about this week. It's been like this for sometime now. We used to have lots of old regulars contribute a lot. Now some of those old regulars have disappeared may be left SG or lost interest but they haven't been replaced with new regulars.
I don't like the forced theme, and the inability to select between the two anymore like the previous forum version allowed. Plus, busy at work.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:27 pm

Found an interesting forum.

http://forums.salary.sg/

BTW, I am jumping ship again :) stumbled upon it while researching salaries.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:55 pm

Perhaps forum activity is a harbinger of things to come. After all, the gahmen seems intent on cutting off the flow of 'foreign talent' and somehow making a go of it without the corresponding inflow of foreign dollars.

Perhaps there aren't more 'new regulars' coming on board because fewer companies are considering moving personnel into Singapore because of rising costs and ever more onerous employment regulations.